Quantcast

Question for Talas 180 and 160 owners (travel modification?)

brandonbmx1

Chimp
Nov 11, 2006
Gainesville, FL
For those of you who own the new talas 180mm fork:

Has anyone tried or considered trying to replace the talas unit with one of the old 3 position talas units? I think this may make the fork a three position travel fork at 180mm, 150mm, and 120mm. What does everyone think? It may be a little more complicated than switching the unit, but I think it could happen. Anyone want to try?

The reason I ask is that I have built a custom linkage on my frame that changes the rear travel from 180mm (Downhill) to 150mm (All mountain) to 100mm (DJ, 4x, and Slalom). A 3 position Talas would be awesome. It would also be great for anyone on a new scott voltage, which has adjustable rear travel from like 180 to 120.

Thanks in advance.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Don't know about the fork mod, but I'm curious what frame you've made a custom linkage for. Have any pics you could post?
Thanks!

brandonbmx1

Chimp
Nov 11, 2006
Gainesville, FL
It is a 2007 enduro SL. I made it to have adjustable geometry and travel:

1) 180mm and 2007 Demo 7 like geometry
2) 150mm travel and stock geometry
3) 100mm travel and 2007 sx 4x frame like geometry

The fork I am using is a Marzocchi 66 sl1 ata. It is an air fork with travel adjust from 180 to 140. I am considering putting on my 32 talas for the 100mm mode if I cannot find a fork that will go through all travel ranges.

Here is what it started as:

Here it is in 100mm travel (for 4x, dual slalom, and dirt jumps):

Here it is in 180mm travel (for DH)

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
see post 1
I read right through that. Pretty cool. I don't think the chainstays are going to hold up to heavy DH/FR but experimenting is fun. If you have to have the 180mm. I'd get a RS Domain 318 180mm coil. Then switch the spring to a u-turn for other riding. Or just stick with a 160mm adjustable fork (Talas, Lyrik, Domain). The 2011 180mm Float can be internally lowered to 100mm with spacers and that's pretty easy also, just not the same.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
That's cool- neat idea, thanks for posting pics! how does it ride in each setting? I see you're switching from air to coil shocks- are you using different eye to eye and stroke lengths?

brandonbmx1

Chimp
Nov 11, 2006
Gainesville, FL
I read right through that. Pretty cool. I don't think the chainstays are going to hold up to heavy DH/FR but experimenting is fun. If you have to have the 180mm. I'd get a RS Domain 318 180mm coil. Then switch the spring to a u-turn for other riding. Or just stick with a 160mm adjustable fork (Talas, Lyrik, Domain). The 2011 180mm Float can be internally lowered to 100mm with spacers and that's pretty easy also, just not the same.
Actually I have a Marz 66 that is 180mm and feels great for DH, even though it is an air fork. I would consider throwing on the old 36 talas that is 160-100, but I have a 32 talas on my slalom/dj hardtail that I could switch over if necessary. It would just be awesome to have one fork for all.

brandonbmx1

Chimp
Nov 11, 2006
Gainesville, FL
That's cool- neat idea, thanks for posting pics! how does it ride in each setting? I see you're switching from air to coil shocks- are you using different eye to eye and stroke lengths?
Thanks.

It rides great in the 180mm setting, geometry is sort of in between the 2007 Demo/Big hit. BB height is taller than the new demo, but about the same as the demo 7, which is good for the DH races in the southeast. I raced it at beech mtn this year and it felt great, but ended up wrecking in my race run and twisting my bars...

It is exactly the same as factory in the 150mm setting.

I have only ridden it in the streets in the 100mm setting, but it manuals much better. I hope to take it to the djs soon.

All the shocks are the same eye to eye and stroke lengths, I just modify the lever ratios of the shock link.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Thought you might like this. Me looking for the do it all bike. This is the 4" SX with 36 Talas and a Vanilla R (2" stroke give it about 5.5" Travel). Sorry to highjack the thread. With the fork in 160mm ride like the SX Trail:)

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Nice. How does it ride? How is the geometry?
Rides great for what little adjustment the rear shock has. I borrowed the shock from a friend to try it out, so I'm back to the rp23. Once I find another air shock (CHEAP) I'm gonna trade him for it and get some real time on it. Or if Specialized ever puts out a SX Trail yoke, I'll do that and get a DHX. The way it was in the 160mm mode felt just like my friends 2010 SX Trail, Geometry real close with the BB about 1/4 inch lower.