Quantcast

Question for the gun guys

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
I have a rifle stock from WWI. All the metal was stripped off it during WWII and I found it when I was cleaning out the basement of a house that was given to my dad. I'd love to get it working. I don't know much about guns but I'm going to guess it's going to to be pretty hard to do. Any input would be great.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
pretty sure thats off an old mouser
Looks like a stock for an 8mm Mauser. You can get the complete rifle for about 75 to 100 bucks. Ammo is cheap as well. Alot of fun when your out plinking about, My guess is that you have the bare stock because someone put a Composite Sport stock on it. they run about another 100 for a cheap one.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Looks like a stock for an 8mm Mauser. You can get the complete rifle for about 75 to 100 bucks. Ammo is cheap as well. Alot of fun when your out plinking about, My guess is that you have the bare stock because someone put a Composite Sport stock on it. they run about another 100 for a cheap one.
Good action too, my dad has a sporterized ww2 mauser. That thing is great, shoot straight and is reliable as hell.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
They sound like a damn cannon going off. Is your Pops a Big bore 8mm or the original??? The Big bore had a slightly higher muzzle velocity and a little less recoil.

I had mine sported out with a composite stock and Nice 12 power panoramic scope on mine.

Linky for scope
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0024531711681a&navCount=15&podId=0024531711681&parentId=cat601564&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat602006-cat601558-cat601564&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601564&hasJS=true

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
In my experiance 8mm mousers don't really "plink" haha

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
CHeck out GunBroker.com or gunsamerica.com for used parts.

Midwayusa.com could probably get you going as well.

Be prepaired to have to pay a transfer fee to a local FFL when you find yourself a reciever. Most gun shops will do the transfer for around $25.

loosecannon

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
San Diego
I've only owned a glock 9mm. On my cross country move to CA I had to toss it into the Delaware river, being that it was a stolen gun and didn't need it anymore.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
They sound like a damn cannon going off. Is your Pops a Big bore 8mm or the original??? The Big bore had a slightly higher muzzle velocity and a little less recoil.

I had mine sported out with a composite stock and Nice 12 power panoramic scope on mine.

Linky for scope
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0024531711681a&navCount=15&podId=0024531711681&parentId=cat601564&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat602006-cat601558-cat601564&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601564&hasJS=true
it was re barreled and is a .308 now. It has a nice peep set up for hunting in heavy brush

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Cool, I'd like to get all the parts and put them on this stock. How much would that cost/where can I get them.
Seriously, dont waste your time putting everything on the stock, just go to your local gun shop, you can probably pick the entire rifle for under a hundred dollars. It will even still be drenched in Cozmoline. To buy the parts to make it work, your still going to have to go through a gun shop to pick up certain parts that make it a gun, like the breach and Barrel, where you, depending on where you live, will have to wait for your cooling off period. Thats why i suggest just buying a complete rifle, and if you really want to use the stock you have, swap everything over.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I've only owned a glock 9mm. On my cross country move to CA I had to toss it into the Delaware river, being that it was a stolen gun and didn't need it anymore.
shoulda just took it to the local precinct and handed it to a cop. I'm sure they'd be happy to take it from you and give you some nice bracelets in exchange.

Thing about a glock is that you can submerge that thing in saltwater for months, pull it back out, make sure the barrel is clear, work the action a bit, load fresh ammo, and fire. Doesn't fare too well in maple syrup though...