Quantcast

Question for the gun nuts - what would it take...

What would it take?

• No more income tax of any sort

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TRULY free health care

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • A shiny new pick-up truck

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Free college tuition for your kids

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Nothing. There is nothing more important than my gun

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I know the trick--Partsy keeps sucking 'em back out, and Grizza is standing by drawing a picture of the whole thing. So I'd say it takes a few gleeful hours.
Braaaaarp- incorrect. The VB only inserts squid tentacles into his poop chute. F*cken amateur.:disgust::pirate2:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I watched an interview with a top Japanese general (maybe an Admiral) and he was talking about WWII and Pearl Harbor; he said Japan never considered an invasion of the west coast....when asked why he said: "Every American owns a gun"....that statement is enough of a reason for me to fight for the right the own a weapon. It's improbable that we will have a revolution here anytime soon, but the right for every citizen to own a firearm IMO will help keep the government in check.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Ed: It's tragic what's happening to the countryside around c-ville, Fredricksburg, and Manassas, isn't it?! Not that it's my land or my place to say, but still, sad.
Manassas was the asshole of Virginia in the 80's-90's when I lived there.

How it could have gotten any worse?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I just wish people would defend the FIRST Amendment with such tenacity...
What states/cities have passed laws in violation of the first amendment?

Whose first amendment rights are being denied in this country, wholesale or even individually?

Manassas was the asshole of Virginia in the 80's-90's when I lived there.

How it could have gotten any worse?
Ask Lowlight7...

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204766&page=3

there's a few cases there, I'll try to remember the name of another one in California where the government was allowed to take Native American lands that had a church
6-7 cases from the last century vs. a total ban. Yeah, you can find examples (often arguable), but nothing like a wholesale and indefinite ban on newspapers, which is more the equivalent of a city banning handguns. ("Why do you need newspapers? You can have TV and radio news...just like you can only have a rifle or a shotgun with a lock on it. Why do you need pistols?")

O'Brien, by the way, wasn't convicted because he burned his draft card as speech, but because he 1) burned it in violation of a law against mutilating them--(the illegality of which would, IMHO, be a valid free-speech impingement alone, as the action is nearly totally symbolic) and 2) failed to possess the required card after burning it, which was in fact against the law--he knew it and chose to take his action. Importantly, though, the decision actually AFFIRMS free speech rights.

Ed: By the way, there are a lot of people who DO defend and affirm free speech in this country, Defen--ACLU much? I would also be quite a bit more offended by a wide-ranging free speech ban than any 2A infringements currently going on in this country. Free speech lets us argue peacefully about the other rights.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I watched an interview with a top Japanese general (maybe an Admiral) and he was talking about WWII and Pearl Harbor; he said Japan never considered an invasion of the west coast....when asked why he said: "Every American owns a gun"....that statement is enough of a reason for me to fight for the right the own a weapon. It's improbable that we will have a revolution here anytime soon, but the right for every citizen to own a firearm IMO will help keep the government in check.
Someone was quoting Admiral Yamamoto.

"You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Last edited:

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
O'Brien, by the way, wasn't convicted because he burned his draft card as speech, but because he 1) burned it in violation of a law against mutilating them--(the illegality of which would, IMHO, be a valid free-speech impingement alone, as the action is nearly totally symbolic) and 2) failed to possess the required card after burning it, which was in fact against the law--he knew it and chose to take his action. Importantly, though, the decision actually AFFIRMS free speech rights.
He was challenging number 2 as a violation to the first amendment, and I agree with him, which is why I included it in there.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
He was challenging number 2 as a violation to the first amendment, and I agree with him, which is why I included it in there.
Legally, thought, it's clearly not. And again, the decision is a win for free speech rights, affirming that specific content-based protest cannot be infringed upon.

I think you should be able to burn as many flags as you want.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Um....you guys aren't taking my thread seriously anymore....
This thread, from the beginning, was the equivalent of one of those guys-sitting-around-the-campfire questions, like, "OK, so, well, if you had no other choice--would you choose to go down on Roseanne Barr, or let Madonna plug you with her favorite strap-on?"

(The answer, by the way, is likewise obvious...)

Ed: That was mid-90s "Ray of Light" video Madonna, by the way.

Last edited:

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
you do realize the fact that the FBI is guilty of seriously abusing Patriot Act powers has been established right?

You do realize that the Bush administration tried to push an expanded Patriot Act ver 2 through congress right?

You do realize how close we came to having an amendment to the constitution which criminalized flag desecration right?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
you do realize the fact that the FBI is guilty of seriously abusing Patriot Act powers has been established right?

You do realize that the Bush administration tried to push an expanded Patriot Act ver 2 through congress right?

You do realize how close we came to having an amendment to the constitution which criminalized flag desecration right?
What do #1 and #2 have to do with free speech? Likewise, name any wholesale deprivations of rights resulting from the Patriot act. Disparate questionable incidents are far different than a state or local government simply outlawing, by statute, an activity specifically protected by the founding document of the country. (The ACLU even dropped its anti-Patriot act lawsuit citing "improvements to the law.")

#3 didn't happen. If it had, that would be serious. But it didn't. (And it's not hard to imagine it passing in a country where the majority of people oppose flag burning...and even if it had passed, it'd only have become a critical issue if it was upheld in subsequent SCOTUS review.)

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
What do #1 and #2 have to do with free speech? Likewise, name any wholesale deprivations of rights resulting from the Patriot act. Disparate questionable incidents are far different than a state or local government simply outlawing, by statute, an activity specifically protected by the founding document of the country. (The ACLU even dropped its anti-Patriot act lawsuit citing "improvements to the law.")

#3 didn't happen. If it had, that would be serious. But it didn't. (And it's not hard to imagine it passing in a country where the majority of people oppose flag burning...and even if it had passed, it'd only have become a critical issue if it was upheld in subsequent SCOTUS review.)
are you kidding, do you know what the patriot act is? They can arrest anyone without charges if they think they are threatening the US. That means protesters, journalists, and activists could be at risk. We don't know if someone is taken, because they will be shipped off to a Siberian torture camp.

even right now, the government has the right to go through any personal records

http://action.aclu.org/reformthepatriotact/

Last edited:

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
well in true government form they pledged to only make use of the exceptionally intrusive (and characteristically unconstitutional) provisions when dealing with terrorism but have failed to show such noble restraint. The act is setup in a way that if they can finagle a "terrorist" brand for you they can sensor/arrest away.