Quantcast

Question for the photogs...

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
Just picked up my first SLR camera and am pretty new to the whole thing... What mm lenses do you guys bring with you when shooting? Do you prefer using certain lenses when shooting park, street, or trails? Not trying to get published or anything but some tips/opinions for me, the amature, would be awesome.

Last edited:

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Just picked up my first SLR camera and am pretty new to the whole thing... What mm lenses do you guys bring with you when shooting? Do you prefer using certain lenses when shooting park, street; or trails? Not trying to get published or anything but some tips/opinions for me, the amature, would be awesome.
Use what you have. Get learn the camera after a while. Then if you feel you need a different lens for a particular type of shooting, then go get it. You don't need to spend money immediately. If you got the wrong lens it would suck

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
From what I noticed with my experience and my boss as well is first both of us started with the kit lens, I think it's like 18mm-55mm. Then I got my 55mm-200mm and he got something similar. He moved on quick to get higher end lenses like his 50mm 1.8f and 85mm 1.8f those both coming out with a more crisp shot for portraits. My next is the 50mm 1.8f and I'm gonna see if that turns out tits for park shots, I believe it will.

Long story long, start with your kit lens and have fun. Be sure to experiement with your settings. Do a lot of reading, "Understanding Exposure" is a real good book. From there you'll know what to look for with your next glass purchase.

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
Word. I'm actually taking a couple of photography classes during this and next semester so that will definitely help...I was just wondering what all you guys pack when you head out to shoot riding.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
Word. I'm actually taking a couple of photography classes during this and next semester so that will definitely help...I was just wondering what all you guys pack when you head out to shoot riding.
I pack my camera of course. :p I dont take a tripod if that is what you are wondering. I don't have a separate flash yet, I don't know if I will even want one. But you may. I really want moar zoom. I am starting to dislike the 18-55mm lack of zoom.

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
That's exactly where I am at haha, more zoom is definitely needed... a better flash can wait (until Summer nights we ride during the day most of the time) but having only the 55mm max isn't going to cut it. The remote commander options seem pretty sweet too.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
seems like the mainstay of bmx and skate photography is the wide angle. it gets close to the action, but also allows you to see the surrounding environment. environment, whether street, park, or trails is part of the sport as much as the rider is.

Last edited:

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
Depends on where I go. BMX track is the 55-200 mm with or without the flash depending on the lighting. Out on the trails 35mm f/1.4 with the flash.

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
I will be shooting mostly at outdoor cement parks and day/night street settings...wide angle would be awesome. There are a couple of spots that look amazing shot from across the street and 55mm gets close enough but all the editing to make it closer can get old.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
That's exactly where I am at haha, more zoom is definitely needed... a better flash can wait (until Summer nights we ride during the day most of the time) but having only the 55mm max isn't going to cut it. The remote commander options seem pretty sweet too.
I either want a 10-20 wide angle lens, or something with ultra redonkulous zoom.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
there is some good info here, but I will tell you that an off camera flash is key. I would get yourself an off camera flash set up (a set of remote triggers and flash) before spending a ton of money on lenses. Check out "The strobist.com" for real good info on flash stuff and tips on how to save $... the kit lens is good enough to get started with for sure, but a nice 35mm 1.2 or 1.8 is nice for a little wider an angle with more chance to work the bokeh. and don't think that a flash is just for night shots, it is a pretty big part of keeping the subject lit and controlling that light! you can't always control where the sun is, but you can control where your flash is.
there are so many paths and different ways that you can invest in gear, but this is just the approach I am taking as I build up my gear. OH, and remember what works for some may not work for you (or your budget for that matter) :thumb:
good luck

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
When i shoot dirt jumps, i usually just bring my 17-40mm f/4 50mm f/1.8 and my 70-200mm f/2.8

i also shoot with some beater strobes (because i don't want my Alienbees 800's getting beat to hell), a Vagabond II battery pack, CyberSyncs.... (alot of weight, but the results are amazing)

But since you're getting started, i'd just start with what you have.

For Downhill, i mainly shoot with my 70-200mm lens.... in the tight spots i pull out my Tokina 11-16mm Lens.. :-)

Last edited:

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
Thanks guys, valuable info!! I don't want to start dropping the cash on all kinds of accessories yet...besides, the bikes and the house we're building take priority for sure. Tax return time is quickly approaching though...