Quantcast

question for those of you with 5" 'trail' bikes, running 2x9...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
what tooth count are you using up front, and what cassette?

i'm wondering if something like a 32/ 20 + 11/21 would be a little funky...

loco and wumpus, what do you guys use?

(i've already got a 32t ring and don't want to go through the hassle of selling it)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I run 22/36/bash with an 11-34 on my heckler for trail riding in the bay area and all over norcal. I find myself wanting bigger gears fairly often and was not pleased with a 32/11 as my biggest gear. A lot of people do it but it was too small for me Why such a narrow range in back? Even with a 20 I would think you could run an 11-26, maybe even a 28, especially if you're willing to give up cross-chaining in the granny ring.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've run a single 34t chainring w/ a 11-34 cassette for years. A 1:1 low is pretty doable. I like to stand for climbs anyways.
I want to do some longer rides this year so I'm adding a 24t granny.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I've been running a 32/24 with a 12x34. Combo works pretty well for the Banshee at Cameron Park. I rarely find anywhere I need the 32x12 and mostly just on the road. I'm definitely a spinner.

Bear is running something like you want. Maybe a 34/24 with an 11X25.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
34/28 with a 11-32t works for me. I only use the 28 when I'm completely shattered but switching to dual ring on my 5-spot (with DRS) was suprisingly beneficial for me over my previous 34t single set-up.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Back when I was running 2x9 on my AS-X I had 22-32 in the front and 11-32 in the back. Rarely did I use the extremes of the cassette, seemed like a good setup for trail riding.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I run 24 RF/38 Truvativ Pinned/Ramped/40T max supercharger with a 11-32 or 11-34. You could go with a 24/36 for usage of smaller bashguard with more clearance and/or if your terrain isn't as steep.

J

JRB

I have a 24/32 and an 11/32 on the back. With the 32 cassette, and my weak legs, the hills kill me. Bring that bike to Waco next weekend. I have both cassettes you can try, and a used sram 12/32 you can have. I will likely switch to a 22 in the front, while I am running a 32 in the back. I also will switch the front to a 34 when I buy a new ring. If I need granny, I want to spin, when in the middle ring, I don't mind mashing a little. I have some race face with a 26/36, I think that you can try. I'll lend you the whole crank to use. the 24/34 rings are toast, so I can't offer them. Bigger gears are better at CP, while lower gears are better at the greenbelt.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
This thread just reminded me that I need a 32T SS ring for my urban bike by this weekend. Thanks for posting it. Hijack complete, carry on :D

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
I want to try it.
OK - but I would have just traded for your XT, instead of buying new, old ones. :eviltongu

"hey wumpus - you want to try these race face cranks"

"nawww - I already have cranks"

:mumble:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
loco said:
OK - but I would have just traded for your XT, instead of buying new, old ones. :eviltongu

"hey wumpus - you want to try these race face cranks"

"nawww - I already have cranks"

:mumble:

You didn't tell me that you had a 26 on there. :mumble:

Plus, I was just thinking this morning how nice it is to have the same cranks on both bikes for easy swapping.

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
You didn't tell me that you had a 26 on there. :mumble:

Plus, I was just thinking this morning how nice it is to have the same cranks on both bikes for easy swapping.
How f'n hard is it to change a bottom bracket??? I've not even had to tune the front der when I swapped them.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
loco said:
How f'n hard is it to change a bottom bracket??? I've not even had to tune the front der when I swapped them.
I was talking about the rings like the other day when I sheared two teeth off. I only need one set of backup rings instead of a 4-bolt and 5-bolt.:nuts:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Echo said:
Back when I was running 2x9 on my AS-X I had 22-32 in the front and 11-32 in the back. Rarely did I use the extremes of the cassette, seemed like a good setup for trail riding.
Yeah, I'm rollin' with a 24/36/bash and a 11-32. Using SRAM X-9's on both. This combo works really well on my Cove G-Spot for trail riding here in the NW. A lot of variety 'round here to play with. The lowest gear rarely gets used cause I try and save at least one so when I blow up on a climb I still have a "saving grace" gear :p

the Inbred said:
what tooth count are you using up front, and what cassette?

i'm wondering if something like a 32/ 20 + 11/21 would be a little funky...

loco and wumpus, what do you guys use?

(i've already got a 32t ring and don't want to go through the hassle of selling it)
Hmm...a 32 as your biggest ring...you might get pedalling pretty fast if you do any relatively straight line descents. That said, I've never used my 36-11 combo for anything except for going down the hill to the liquor store....

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
I was talking about the rings like the other day when I sheared two teeth off. I only need one set of backup rings instead of a 4-bolt and 5-bolt.:nuts:
See the "how hard is it to change bottom bracket" comment. It's easier to pull cranks and a bottom bracket than it is to change all of those little bolts. Trust me - I just did it.

J

JRB

Secret Squirrel said:
Yeah, I'm rollin' with a 24/36/bash and a 11-32. Using SRAM X-9's on both. This combo works really well on my Cove G-Spot for trail riding here in the NW. A lot of variety 'round here to play with. The lowest gear rarely gets used cause I try and save at least one so when I blow up on a climb I still have a "saving grace" gear :p

Hmm...a 32 as your biggest ring...you might get pedalling pretty fast if you do any relatively straight line descents. That said, I've never used my 36-11 combo for anything except for going down the hill to the liquor store....
Our downhills are only a few hundred yards, at best.

J

JRB

syadasti said:
Run 1x9 then...
Then the climbs are too hard. I used to run 1 x 9, but there isn't any perceived benefit on a 34 lb bike. Why not have a bail out gear to spin with, if you are not running a chain guide? A 24 t ring and the front shifter/der don't weigh enough to matter.

OK, question:

Why cut to two rings? I have been running three rings and a tooth fairy for years - the setup is light and perfectly adequate for avoiding missing teeth and folded rings.

I can see the two ring argument for increasing ground clearance if that's an issue...

J

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
OK, question:

Why cut to two rings? I have been running three rings and a tooth fairy for years - the setup is light and perfectly adequate for avoiding missing teeth and folded rings.

I can see the two ring argument for increasing ground clearance if that's an issue...

J
That's it. I actually used the big on my XC bike, but the techy trails are ledgy and rocky here. You will destroy your big ring.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
22/32 w/ Bash Guard & 11/34 rear it seems to work pretty well but I wish that I had some bigger gears sometimes.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
johnbryanpeters said:
OK, question:

J
An 24/36 or 38 w/ 11-34 gives you all the usable range most would probably see on a 22/32/44 w/11-32.

In the NE most people can make due just fine with a 38T on a DH rig even.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
yeah, i was considering going with 3 rings, but i'd like the extra clearance.

question: using Blackspire DH/DS ring in the middle coupled with a granny...will that non-ramped ring cause all types of problems? if so...anyone want to by a never-used Blackspire 32t ring?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
johnbryanpeters said:
We have rocks and ledges aplenty. I'm running 22/32/44 w/11-34 and a Salsa Tooth Fairy bash guard.

I don't see the need to drop the big ring.
How much travel does your bike have? I find that the amount of abuse my bashguard takes is directly related to the travel of the bike.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
johnbryanpeters said:
I don't see the need to drop the big ring.
Cause you gain little at the bottom or the top range with the extra ring (basically you lose gears you'll rarely/never use), the clearance is less, the weight is more, and the wear is less even.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
the Inbred said:
yeah, i was considering going with 3 rings, but i'd like the extra clearance.

question: using Blackspire DH/DS ring in the middle coupled with a granny...will that non-ramped ring cause all types of problems? if so...anyone want to by a never-used Blackspire 32t ring?
No...It should not cause any problems running a non-ramped ring. My 36 is not ramped and it is fine. As long as your front der is working properly, you'll be fine. There are times where you have to "clutch" it a bit more than normal (No jamming it into the big ring when you're hammering away...) but it's instinctive after only a couple of rides.

syadasti said:
Cause you gain little at the bottom or the top range with the extra ring (basically you lose gears you'll rarely/never use), the clearance is less, the weight is more, and the wear is less even.
With the combinations you list, there's a 15% difference at the big ring/small cog end, which is significant. The difference is in fact negligible at the other end of the range.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
johnbryanpeters said:
With the combinations you list, there's a 15% difference at the big ring/small cog end, which is significant. The difference is in fact negligible at the other end of the range.
How often do you run big/small cog on your bike (or the other end of the range)? My guess is very rarely. Like I said, you loose gears that are virtually useless for most riders.