Quantcast

Question: Is 2010 worse than 2008?

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I'm most likely going to lose my job soon, but that's just because there is no money in my industry anymore.
So I'm going to switch industries. I have a lot of friends who have found jobs recently, so they are out there.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Take a look at the graph, and remind me again when Obama took office? Sometime around Jan 21st, 2009? Pretty much sums it up for me.

what exactly is that? if it's what i think it is, i'd like to see something sourced from DoL
I'm most likely going to lose my job soon, but that's just because there is no money in my industry anymore.
So I'm going to switch industries. I have a lot of friends who have found jobs recently, so they are out there.
jobs.gov is the new black

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
well after reading the opinions here over the years, i must admit to confusion: either obama inherited an intractable mess, or he instantaneously created jobs (if even by proxy)

furthermore: is a job a job a job? i'm not going for the cheap dig about a statistically insignificant amount of temp jobs for the census, i mean are those jobs on par w/ the ones lost?

as for me, i got laid off from hp in '09 (federal division stopped getting gov't $$$, so out we went), and now i'm making 90% of what i was then.

seems to me the economy is an aircraft carrier, and not a jetski that can turn within its own wake. are we on the way up? hope so.

i mean, if stoney can double his income in these times in his sector, there's hope for the rest of us, right?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Quick assessment: early gaffes and naivete, decent job since then having been handed a royal ****pile, haven't lost all respect for him which puts him in 95th percentile of all politicians.

I have a hefty bag full of criticisms, but right now they're outweighed by the fact that the nation isn't in a depression.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Foreclosed properties made up 3 in 10 homes sales in the first quarter, and even more could be on the way.
Third-party buyers purchased 233,000 foreclosed properties in the first quarter, with distressed homes representing 31 percent of all home sales, according to a report released Wednesday by RealtyTrac. "In a normal year, 1 to 2 percent of total home sales are distressed," says Rick Sharga of RealtyTrac. "We're in the 30 percent range—it's really mind boggling."
so there's that.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
glad to see you finally figured out how to properly quote a post.

what's next for you: driving on the right?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
1.3 million unemployed won't get benefits restored

he bill would extend unemployment payments for up to a total of 99 weeks, for people whose state-paid benefits have run out. The benefits would be available through the end of November, at a cost of $33.9 billion. The money would have been borrowed, adding to the budget deficit.

The payments average a little more than $300 a week.

Republicans, tapping into voter anger about the growing national debt, said they would support extending the benefits if the bill was paid for. They proposed using unspent money from President Barack Obama's massive 2009 economic recovery package.

Democrats rejected the offer, saying the money was needed for jobs programs.
Republicans said the stimulus package included plenty of lawmakers' pet projects that could be cut to cover the unemployment benefits.
Soooo, we won't pay you for not being able to work because we won't pay for you to get a job to work. <sigh> :facepalm:

Anybody else see what's wrong with our congress? Pretty well sums up the OP question to me.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
and when you say 'congress', let's make sure to talk about the leadership:
http://www.breitbart.tv/pelosi-unemployment-checks-fastest-way-to-create-jobs/
Hoo boy. Exactly. Like saying the best way to cure alcoholism is to drink.

So, we can't move a comprehensive plan to stimulate the economy, and in the same breath, just quit giving unemployment benefits, causing more people to just give up, create more foreclosures and increase the reliance of other government subsidies. Vicious circle.

And please do not confuse anyhting in Congress with anything remotely resembling leadership. Second year Cub Scouts exhibit better leadership and a willingness to compromise for the good of a group over self interest.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
1.3 million unemployed won't get benefits restored

he bill would extend unemployment payments for up to a total of 99 weeks, for people whose state-paid benefits have run out. The benefits would be available through the end of November, at a cost of $33.9 billion. The money would have been borrowed, adding to the budget deficit.

Soooo, we won't pay you for not being able to work because we won't pay for you to get a job to work. <sigh> :facepalm:

Anybody else see what's wrong with our congress? Pretty well sums up the OP question to me.
and when you say 'congress', let's make sure to talk about the leadership:
http://www.breitbart.tv/pelosi-unemployment-checks-fastest-way-to-create-jobs/
Since Joker is on hiatus, I'll say it:
Double dip recession, here we come!!!!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
hmmm...on the way into work, npr reported gushingly of an increase in private sector jobs, which gave me a lift.

yet, nytimes sees it differently:
The Recovery Is Losing Steam
By DAVID LEONHARDT

Forget about the drop in the unemployment rate last month. The economic recovery has lost significant steam in the last few months.

Today’s employment report is clear on that score. Job growth in the private sector has slowed — to 83,000 last month and a three-month average of 119,000. From February to April, the private sector added 154,000 jobs a month. (With the Census winding down, the federal government cut jobs last month, which explains the drop in overall employment.)
and then this wrapup:
Summary Box: Construction spending dips

By The Associated Press (AP) – 16 hours ago

SPENDING FALLS: Construction spending dipped in May, as new residential and commercial building both declined. The drop comes after a popular homebuyers' tax credit expired April 30.

NO MORE INCENTIVE: Sales of new and previously owned homes also fell in May, an indication that gains in housing earlier this year depended on government incentives.

PUBLIC SPENDING: Government spending on highway and other infrastructure rose in May. But some economists worry that public construction could decline in coming months as state and local governments seek to close budget gaps.
how can practically non-existent construction spending dip further?

i have 6 mos income in savings (checking, actually), and won't touch it for a while w/ news like this.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yes, I was and still am an Obama supporter. Has he changed the world? No. Has he worked towards improving the mess he was left with? Yes, I think he has at least been working in that direction.

I would like to see him do a bit more. But I think he has done more good in 2 years than GWB did in 8.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I don't think these people are paying attention:
Gallup found that independent voters believe the Democratic Party has become &#8220;too liberal.&#8221;
because God knows how middle of the road-rational the republicans have been the last 2 years. :rolleyes:

hmmm...on the way into work, npr reported gushingly of an increase in private sector jobs, which gave me a lift.
You must listen to a different NPR station than I do, which is weird cause I'm pretty sure there is only one in town. What I heard was the private sector jobs were up but there was still a net increase in joblessness, so yea, keep your cash in checking.

Found a linky.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the comma was a very, very subtle smiley in hiding (not that one, though)