Quantcast

Question of Calorie Fluctuation............

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
I have a question for you nutrition gurus:

I have been doing research on ways to slim down for next season. I might be what you classify as a hard loser with a natuarly slow metabolism (can gain weight VERY quickly). I stumbled on a few articles regarding calorie fluctuation. This concept is to reduce you calorie intake for 2 days and then on the third day bump up the calories by about 500-600cal/day and then repeat..... 2 days low, 1 day high (all assuming you are eating wholesome and good foods). According to the concept, this will re-set your metabolism to a "higher" setting thus burning more calories and fat.

Has anybody hear about this? Any more info. My resources are not some fad diet book but from sports and nutrition websites of various universities.

thx

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I could be totally off base here, and I certainly have to scientific proof or knowledge of this, but I think the best way to raise your metabolism is to do a boatload of cardio exercise. It's hard and it's boring, but it works.

Echo said:
I could be totally off base here, and I certainly have to scientific proof or knowledge of this, but I think the best way to raise your metabolism is to do a boatload of cardio exercise. It's hard and it's boring, but it works.

best way of increasing your metabolism is resistance training (lifting weights).

as far as the calorie question, I've heard of people cycling three days, up 100 calories each day then back down. I'm not sure about that 500 calorie bump though.