Quantcast

question on bikes

feltfiber

Chimp
Feb 25, 2008
Im not looking to do classic riding (plain trail riding) im planning on flyin through the woods on hilly terrain goin off jumps doin tailwhips, light tricks, and riding those wooden single tracks with some drops. So i dont want a general bike, i want a bike i can do alil extreme riding in. My friends do more cross country style, riding really fast over bumpy/hilly terrain so i want the bike to be able to hand some long rides with them if im not out on my own or be able to handle goin downhill when i visit mt hood

people say get a STRONG HT, but im only 155lbs so i should be able to get away with a little lighter bike than say a 6-7lbs frame... i should be able to get a lighter one shouldnt i?

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I don't know about frame weights, but it sounds like you need what's referred to as an "all mountain" bike, which is a full-suspension bike you can pedal uphill, and still have fun on the downhills.

There are tons of bikes within this category and nearly every manufacturer produces one within their lineup.

You can find a broad lump of this type of bike here: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/allmtn_full_suspension/

They won't be light by any means, but would you rather struggle to push something up a hill or have it break on you during the descent?

IHardtail

Chimp
Dec 8, 2007
I really like the Jackal, but would probably not use it for long up-hill XC rides.
I would get a Banshee morphine if I were you, just because the geomery of it is more thrown to an XC bike (you would have to build it up light though, since the frame is pretty heavy). I though about getting one, but got a jackal ust because I liked the geometry better.
I have heard it (morphine) works well for moderate downhill too.
The Jackal is better for jumping and tricks, since the seat-tube length is 13" and would work for some moderate downhill as well.

So basicaly get a Morphine unless you change your mind and dont want to do long uphill XC.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I'm 155 and use Specialized SX Trail for pretty much everything. I do street, xc, race dh and I'm hitting the bmx track tonight. Get a height adjustable shock (I use a Fox 36 Talas RC2) and a long enough seatpost to accomodate all types of riding.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Chromoly hardtail .
My 16" Banshee Scratch has the same measurements & geo as my large 2004 Bullit just about.
I'm also getting on the Banshee a 1" lower BB,4" lower seat,& 2.5# less weight just on the frame.
The excitement of riding like a bat out of hell on a hardtail might be more rewarding for you?.