Quantcast

Question on Dj gaps.

Shoe

Chimp
May 27, 2006
I have already made some four to five foot dirt jumps with 10 to 8 foot gaps. I am now working on a 8 foot or higher dirt jump. My question is how big of a gap do I want between the take off lip and the landing?

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
price selinger has got it right...you could build an 8 foot lip that could send you 25 feet, or you could build one that sends you 10 feet. to be honest, i like hang time in the air, but not when the lip is too steep that you feel like yoru falling back down.

Shoe

Chimp
May 27, 2006
Thanks for the info. So if I want more hang time in the air make the lip steep. But does a steeper lip mean I need a smaller gap or more speed? My lip right now is at about 75 degrees and I have a 15 foot roll in that is about 20 feet from the lip.

Shoe

Chimp
May 27, 2006
Thanks alot for the link to that article. It really helped. Not sure how much speed I will get off my rollin so i m just going to make my lip angel at about 70 degrees and the gap about nine to ten feet. I have made smaller jumps, but there is a little more room for error if you miss judge the gap on a 4 to 5 foot jump. Ill let you guys know how it goes.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
nie thing about dirt, if it doesn't work it can always be reshaped. Another thing I live by, If you build the jump and clear the gap on the first try its way too close.

Shoe

Chimp
May 27, 2006
nie thing about dirt, if it doesn't work it can always be reshaped. Another thing I live by, If you build the jump and clear the gap on the first try its way too close.

What do you do if you dont clear it the first time? Reshape, pull up more, more speed? Thanks for the advice. I also check out your link to simple bikes. I have never heard of them before, but I am definately digging the frames. Simple and strong. Do there frames go for a pritty reasonable price?

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
I have already made some four to five foot dirt jumps with 10 to 8 foot gaps. I am now working on a 8 foot or higher dirt jump. My question is how big of a gap do I want between the take off lip and the landing?
If you are digging that much feel free to come to Reno and build with me I need help @ my new trails . It all depends on speed , pump and your own ability to jump.

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
Thanks alot for the link to that article. It really helped. Not sure how much speed I will get off my rollin so i m just going to make my lip angel at about 70 degrees and the gap about nine to ten feet. I have made smaller jumps, but there is a little more room for error if you miss judge the gap on a 4 to 5 foot jump. Ill let you guys know how it goes.
you could build wood kickers with dirt landings also I suggest an 8 foot jump would want to have 11 feet of transition and a 9 foot bottom that will get you in the air with minimal labor (building the ramp and landing)

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
Heh.......you have any idea how hard it is to stack dirt 8 feet high?;)
easiest to use plywood to make a mold. piece of plywood for the backside of the take off to build it up real steep. same for the side to try and keep them as square as possible. takes lots of water/packing though, and cuts down on the amount of dirt you need.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
easiest to use plywood to make a mold. piece of plywood for the backside of the take off to build it up real steep. same for the side to try and keep them as square as possible. takes lots of water/packing though, and cuts down on the amount of dirt you need.
Very true, but it's still a pain in the ass to get dirt up 2-3 feet above your head.:D.

I'm trying to think.......I don't believe I've ever even ridden anything that tall that wasn't just sitting on the top of an existing land feature that wasn't built with machines.

8 ft is tall.

Shoe

Chimp
May 27, 2006
I have already got the dirt piled up for the take off and landing. When I am standing in the bowl (the bowls are 2 feet deep) the piles are 8ft high. There is 15 ft between the take off pile and the landing pile. So I guess I am gonna have to move one of the piles a little closer.
Yea... I dig alot. I live in an area where I have to dig if I want to ride. I've built a six pack with gaps at 12 10 and 8 feet. A rollin for the six pack. A log ride. A 5 foot dirt spine. And now I am working on a ten foot drop and this 8ft dirt jump. I am definately going try some wood kickers to save me some diggin. Thanks guys.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I have already got the dirt piled up for the take off and landing. When I am standing in the bowl (the bowls are 2 feet deep) the piles are 8ft high. There is 15 ft between the take off pile and the landing pile. So I guess I am gonna have to move one of the piles a little closer.
Yea... I dig alot. I live in an area where I have to dig if I want to ride. I've built a six pack with gaps at 12 10 and 8 feet. A rollin for the six pack. A log ride. A 5 foot dirt spine. And now I am working on a ten foot drop and this 8ft dirt jump. I am definately going try some wood kickers to save me some diggin. Thanks guys.

To quote Mr. Rogers:

Will you be my neighbor?

Shoe

Chimp
May 27, 2006
If you are digging that much feel free to come to Reno and build with me I need help @ my new trails . It all depends on speed , pump and your own ability to jump.
If I didnt live so far away I would take you up on that offer...as long as I could ride them when there done.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
With piles that high, you can build some freakin BOOSTERS. Our jumps are in the 5-6 ft range with the gaps in the 12-18 ft range and still provide plenty of float. Your lip angles define your gaps more than anything.....more than the height of the dirt.

Whatever you build take some pics. I'm sure it's going to be sick.

Frorider1

Monkey
Apr 28, 2006
The shorter the gap the more drastic the lip has to be, that way it will send you higher(perfect for t-whips,360's and backflips). If you want to make like a 25 foot gap then the lip cannot be extreme, unless you have like an insane run in that gives you ubber speed. Watch some vids and see what kind of jumps they are tricking off of and what kind they are floating. Check Jordies part in ROAM.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
Very true, but it's still a pain in the ass to get dirt up 2-3 feet above your head.:D.

I'm trying to think.......I don't believe I've ever even ridden anything that tall that wasn't just sitting on the top of an existing land feature that wasn't built with machines.

8 ft is tall.
very true. but like shoe said. 2 ft deep bowls means the dirt only has to be 6 ft high :busted: