Quantcast

Question on health insurance...how to understand?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys I have a health insurance question.

When it says annual deductible is $1000 I sorta get it (but not fully). Is this just like a car insurance deductible? If you get hurt and have to go somewhere it costs you $1000?

And what does it mean by this "20% after meeting plan deductible" for some of the coverages (emergency room, docotors visits etc....).

I don't understand any of this health insurance crap, I just don't want to spend $$$ on something I don't need. Especially since I don't go to the doctors when I'm sick (been like this for almost 5 years now) and haven't gotten hurt yet (knock on wood) so I'd like to just kinda get emergency room coverage and doctor coverage, but don't really understand the terms behind it all.

Any help would be great!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Usually is an accumulated $1000 deductible for the year. This is usually just for major stuff (ie hospital stays). Wife says they included lab test in this, too.

They will then pay 80% of all the bills above that.

For a regular doctor's visit, pay the copay and that is all. The rest is covered by insurance.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
One thing to think about is a CAT scan is like $2000.

I think Skookum said his broken leg was around $30000.

It's easy to rack up quite a bill if you end up in the ER.

They also have catastrophic health coverage(?) that is pretty reasonable($200/yr) that covers things like skookum's leg.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I wanna say this catastrophic health coverage is more what I might need, I just need something incase I break an arm or leg or something, basicly the $$$ stuff.