Quantcast

question on stem sizing

phobiadrive

Chimp
Jun 15, 2009
Hey people!! I have a question on stem sizing. Currently I ride a small Morewood and i'm 5'4" with a short inseam and I run a 50mm stem with a Boxxer WC. I'm curious on what people run on stems with a short inseam since I wanna try out a 40mm stem. I need some feedback!

Thanks.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I don't know if this is helpful, but I think it would be very strange to ask a question about stem length based on inseam measurement. First because, for DH, preference and feel matters more than anything for stem length. Second, your height and bike size matters for stem length but inseam doesn't have much of an effect. But, even so, whether you are standing or seated, a shorter inseam (given a particular height) means you would probably need a longer stem.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
That is going to be a hard thing to answer because stem length is going to be driven by how that particular frame fits you. A 6' guy on a 'too large frame' might use a 30mm stem when a 5' girl on a frame with a 'too small' top tube might use a 50 or 60mm stem...

IMO the ultra slack head angles on newer generation DH frames like a little longer stem. With the front wheel so far out in front, you have less weight on the tire and thus less traction. A little more stem can make it easier to get more weight over the front.

For someone your height (IMO it is important for all riders who what to ride in an agressive stance..but obviously the shorter you are, the more this will matter) I think that bar height would be a larger issue. If you have not already, I would make sure you have as low stack headset as possible, your fork low as possible, no headset spacers, low rise or flat bar, etc. You may find that getting your bar lower provides the feel that you are looking for.