Quantcast

question/poll about betting

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
ok, so while bowling at interbike a friend and i made a bet. i rolled up, cold and said, i'll get a strike...loser owes the other a beer. i lost...total gutter ball b/c the lane was waxier than what i'm used to. i say, "double or nothing" and POW, nail a strike.

now i always thought "double or nothing" meant the loser owes the winner twice the original bet, so in this case, my friend owes me 2 beers. the friend says we're even. out of the 20 people around, it was a split decision.

what do you guys think, do i get 2 beers or are we even?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
©2001 said:
ok, so while bowling at interbike a friend and i made a bet. i rolled up, cold and said, i'll get a strike...loser owes the other a beer. i lost...total gutter ball b/c the lane was waxier than what i'm used to. i say, "double or nothing" and POW, nail a strike.

now i always thought "double or nothing" meant the loser owes the winner twice the original bet, so in this case, my friend owes me 2 beers. the friend says we're even. out of the 20 people around, it was a split decision.

what do you guys think, do i get 2 beers or are we even?
You got skunked. Double or nothing means double the original bet.
You're buddy is laughing at you right now.......and drinking YOUR beer.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Westy said:
Double (winner of both bets gets double) or nothing(split and both get nothing)
Really? But that's just doing the same bet again.......which doesn't make sense. I've honestly never heard that. I thought it meant doubling the stakes of the previous interaction in order to nullify the first.

So he should have said what......double down? :p

Scarpa

Chimp
Aug 31, 2005
Felton
©2001 said:
i lost...total gutter ball b/c the lane was waxier than what i'm used to. i say, "double or nothing" and POW, nail a strike.
You guys are even. Since you lost the first bet you were in the hole one beer. The "double" part would be his two beers if you lost again. The "nothing" part is what you both get if you win the second time, as you'd both be even.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This is tough.

Now of the 4 people in my office, 2 say one, 2 say the other.

Looking at the phrase itself, I could see where Westy might be right. But reaching a null set between the two of you is boring, which betting is supposed to alleviate.

Just say two out of three next time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If we really get down to the nitty gritty you lost both times. The bet was on a strike, the first ball was a gutter, the second was technically a spare. Loser;)

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Scarpa said:
You guys are even. Since you lost the first bet you were in the hole one beer. The "double" part would be his two beers if you lost again. The "nothing" part is what you both get if you win the second time, as you'd both be even.
^ this is how I've always understood it. It gives the person who's already down a chance to get back to even, and it gives the person who's already up incentive to bet again giving the other person a chance.

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
Double or nothing: You owe him a beer for the first bet (for your gutter ball) but then you said double or nothing. So now if you lose you owe him two but if you win then you guys are even. So I believe that your bro is correct.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Juano said:
Double or nothing: You owe him a beer for the first bet (for your gutter ball) but then you said double or nothing. So now if you lose you owe him two but if you win then you guys are even. So I believe that your bro is correct.
This is correct.

Double or nothing means: Making the same bet but for exactly what you just lost. So if you win you come out even, if you lose you lose double.

Oct 5, 2005
As your attorney, I will advise you that the legal terms of the verbal contract dictate that you are even in the event of a strike on the second frame.

Signed,
- Your attorney

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Scarpa said:
here is your answer.

you really should work on your bowling skillz.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
You both lost from the get-go....
You were bowling for god sakes...any sport where you wear other dudes shoes should be banned. Not to mention it is on ESPN, I say we ban all sports that are on ESPN. :)

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Transcend said:
Spomer, ya lost buddy.

Double for him, or nothing to anyone. That way it allows you to get out of the whole you wer ein, but if ya lost, you owed him double.

Exactly, or what would be the incentive for the guy who won the first time around?
Double or nothing gives winner a chance to double his winnings and the loser a chance to break even....