Quantcast

Question: pro and semi pro musicians..where is the best/worse place you ever played?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Worse: Empire Rock club, Philadelphia PA....AC was broke.....must have been 200 degrees!!!! Mid 80's

Best: new life Outreach in fredricksburg VA, early fall, outdoors, 5000+ Thew sky behind the crowed was awesome! 2004

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Best - Cat's Cradle (Chapel Hill NC.) Top notch establishment. Great management and great sound.

Best, Worst, most fun, and scariest all at once was a laundry mat in Knoxville TN called Griffens. We played there twice. The fun part was that we got all the free beer we could drink and I was 19 and the drummer and bassist were 17 at time. There was no stage, no lights either. You were right on the floor with the crowd and it was f'in dark. You had to be on your A-game to fend off drunk slam dancing punks. During the set a transvestite named Robbie joined us on stage and started playing random piano and singing at the top of his/her lungs. Homeless people hung out there because they sold PBR for $0.50 a pint. They would harass you, throw stuff at you, cuss you a blue streak. Very punk rock. The second time we played there the power got turned off on us halfway through our set in mysterious coincidence with the arrival of a gang of skinheads. Getting home with out getting killed was the challege that night.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Couple of the best:

Polaris Ampitheatre , Columbus OH 1997. Make up show for a cancellation on the Ozzfest. 3 band bill: Neurosis, Ozzy, Sabbath. :eek: :D

Neurosis, Crash Worship, Amber Asylum, 16th St Theatre in SF CA. 1994. Wine, fire and naked chicks.

Couple of the worst:

Some dirty little theatre in Buffalo NY, around 1998. Filthiest place I've ever been in. (that says ALOT) They had NEVER mopped or cleaned this place. Ever. GWAR had played there 1 month before us, and THEY NEVER CLEANED UP. The floor and carpets were black and gooey. Mice and weird little bugs and cockroaches were everywhere. Some homeless guy lived in the backstage room too. Icky.

Open-air festival in Kennewick WA. Approx 30 degrees on stage w/ wind-chill. First time I ever played a full show with a hoody on and my face and hands were numb.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
jdschall said:
Best - Cat's Cradle (Chapel Hill NC.) Top notch establishment. Great management and great sound.
I've been there. (I think? :think: )

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Curly's, now, the called HIVE, downtown Tulsa, OK. Sound is awful... huge place, concrete floors and walls. Sound guy is a dolt. We told him how to mix it, Heavy sax medium drums and bass. Half way though set... The drums and bass are full blast, guitar is monsterous and the sax is like "tweet", and my percussion rig... Couldnt hear it al all. In my monitor... all sax.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
golgiaparatus said:
Curly's, now, the called HIVE, downtown Tulsa, OK. Sound is awful... huge place, concrete floors and walls. Sound guy is a dolt. We told him how to mix it, Heavy sax medium drums and bass. Half way though set... The drums and bass are full blast, guitar is monsterous and the sax is like "tweet", and my percussion rig... Couldnt hear it al all. In my monitor... all sax.
Wait, I have another "best" gig. GWAR and Neurosis at Cain's Ballroom in 94. The look on staff's face...

:thumb:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
H8R said:
Wait, I have another "best" gig. GWAR and Neurosis at Cain's Ballroom in 94. The look on staff's face...

:thumb:
I've played there... cool spot. Staff should be use to crazy shizz now. New ownership, better acts coming in. Total internal rebuild too, roof is super tall now, sounds way better.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
best? playing with lungfish at a college in fredericksburg. just hanging out with d higgs was insane... and college shows always paid and fed us well

worst? mafia restaurant basement show near columbia in NYC. looming scary men in suits unplugging my amp and removing my guitar...:dead:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
H8R said:
Couple of the best:

Polaris Ampitheatre , Columbus OH 1997. Make up show for a cancellation on the Ozzfest. 3 band bill: Neurosis, Ozzy, Sabbath. :eek: :D

Neurosis, Crash Worship, Amber Asylum, 16th St Theatre in SF CA. 1994. Wine, fire and naked chicks.

Couple of the worst:

Some dirty little theatre in Buffalo NY, around 1998. Filthiest place I've ever been in. (that says ALOT) They had NEVER mopped or cleaned this place. Ever. GWAR had played there 1 month before us, and THEY NEVER CLEANED UP. The floor and carpets were black and gooey. Mice and weird little bugs and cockroaches were everywhere. Some homeless guy lived in the backstage room too. Icky.

Open-air festival in Kennewick WA. Approx 30 degrees on stage w/ wind-chill. First time I ever played a full show with a hoody on and my face and hands were numb.
Oh know I hate those late night outdoor November festivals...Holy Sh!t i froze my hands off.....people looked at me weird when between songs I had my hands in pants to keep my fingers warm....yes....my fingers......

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
best: sala sao paolo, brazil.
worst: probably this coming sunday, at a shopping mall? :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
jdschall said:
Best -

Best, Worst, most fun, and scariest all at once was a laundry mat in Knoxville TN called Griffens. We played there twice. The fun part was that we got all the free beer we could drink and I was 19 and the drummer and bassist were 17 at time. There was no stage, no lights either. You were right on the floor with the crowd and it was f'in dark. You had to be on your A-game to fend off drunk slam dancing punks. During the set a transvestite named Robbie joined us on stage and started playing random piano and singing at the top of his/her lungs. Homeless people hung out there because they sold PBR for $0.50 a pint. They would harass you, throw stuff at you, cuss you a blue streak. Very punk rock. The second time we played there the power got turned off on us halfway through our set in mysterious coincidence with the arrival of a gang of skinheads. Getting home with out getting killed was the challege that night.
I know that place.