Quantcast

QUESTION reposted: 15mm hub conversion to a 15mm dropout

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
What up everyone, thanks in advance for your help.

I have a fork with a 15mm dropout.
My hub is a 20mm atomlab that already has a 9mm conversion on it.

How should I proceed to hook them up?
Do I just need a 9mm skewer with a top hat adapter? Seems flimsy.

I've been doing research but can't quite figure it out. They have a 15mm thru axle conversion for the hubs but my fork is a bolt-on.

Thanks again,
martin

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
They have a 15mm thru axle conversion for the hubs but my fork is a bolt-on.
Maybe I'm missing something, but the only thing you should need is the 15mm conversion kit you already found.

Forks come with axles. If you didn't get an axle, go open a can of whoop-ass on the shop or person who sold you a fork without an axle.

Once you have the right axle, you just need to get the hub to fit. Get the 15mm conversion kit, lose the 9mm stuff, and go ride.

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
Thanks for your reply. (Arrogant is one of my favorite beers)

Yeah, I did find the 15mm adapter for the hub, but unfortunately my forks aren't a thru-axle type. I attached a pic.

Do you know if there is a 'thru-axle bolt-on' type of adapter? I couldn't seem to find one out there.

Thanks again,
m.

Attachments

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
Thanks dude.

Just to be sure:
Your saying just keep my 9mm adapter on the hub as is.
Buy a 9mm skewer for it and then use a top-hat washer to make it fit the 15mm(or 14mm) fork?

I thought of that option for a while before posting. But going from a 20mm (hub) to 9mm (adapter) to 15mm (fork) kills me.

Thanks though, I'll take as much feedback I can get!
m.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
yeesh, is this what you have?
If so, I didn't realize it was for quick release. I thought it gave you a 9mm bolt-on axle.

It might be safer just getting a bmx hub and rebuilding the wheel. Or if you're feeling frisky, drill out those adapters and slide a real axle through the middle.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
you bought the wrong fork or wheel.

Your best bet is either to buy a rigid 20mm fork or buy a bmx 14mm front hub and replace your wheel

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
i'm not sure to be honest. I never had these. But I think I'm at the point where crohnsy and demo say. Either new wheel/hub or new fork.

I'm not giving up just yet. I will get back on here and tie up this loose end with a final answer...

thanks again peeps.
m.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Its only my opinion, but rocking 3 different sizes using adapters(for anything) is probably going to weaken it, are all three meant to work, yes, will they together(as good as the right set up) probably not. It does look like a BMX hub from the pics though, from what i know, all the 15mm forks are more "mtb like"

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
yeah for sure, that was my gripe with rockin the 9mm adapter thats currently on it.

I'm hoping to be able to find a 15mm thru-axle bolt-on or skewer. Since they have 15mm adapters for those hubs. And if my forks are really 14mm - I'll grind them out (~0.5mm) to fit.

You guys think that would f-up the rake or sweep?
I think if it's perfect in diameter it should be right in the same center point.

thx demo

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Well the only problem with that(and im not sure of this) is that they dont sell 15mm straight axles(maybe im wrong here) I have a fork with a 15 and it comes with it. Check the fox 15mm QR axle combo thinger, to my knowledge, that is how they all are, i think your best bet is a bmx hub, only because they are meant to be 14mm and come with it. I have never seen the axle your talking about in a 15-but that does not mean it cant exist.

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
Well the only problem with that(and im not sure of this) is that they dont sell 15mm straight axles(maybe im wrong here) I have a fork with a 15 and it comes with it. Check the fox 15mm QR axle combo thinger, to my knowledge, that is how they all are, i think your best bet is a bmx hub, only because they are meant to be 14mm and come with it. I have never seen the axle your talking about in a 15-but that does not mean it cant exist.
yeah, i think your right. either new hub or new fork. the fox QR axle is pretty wide (due to the thickness of the fork arm). No way I can use that on thin BMX-style dropouts.

I'll probably just have to buy a 20mm thru-axle. Cause that's what the hubs are originally and I have the adapters for it. I may have to steal the dj1's off of my Riot for now.

You guys out there are cool for helping me with this issue. I will return the favor when applicable! I'm not an online type-of-guy (mandown is who got me to sign up - met him on a trail), but these forums were really helpful.

peace, m.