Quantcast

Question: What do you guys do?

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Simple but important question for somebody with little more than 7 months of college left. I'm a finance major with emphasis in real estate.

I know the majority of the demographic here is 18-35 so I feel this is an appropriate question.

What is your job/career?
Scale of 1-10 how do you like it?
Do you wake up in the morning dreading going that day?
How many hours do you work?

I'm at a fork in the road. I can hunt for a career(esk) job come Spring, apply to grad school for my MBA/stay in school for an additional contsruction managment degree, or move to jackson for 12-24 months

Aug 31, 2006
I could not agree with Laura more. In fact, I'd say, stay in school until you're absolutely done with it. Period.

Then take some time off after school. I say, a season in Jackson, season in Whistler, summers in Europe.

Then work your butt off for 10 years to put money aside for a home and retirement, let that money compound grow, then start laying back when you're 35 :)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
What is your job/career?
Scale of 1-10 how do you like it?
Do you wake up in the morning dreading going that day?
How many hours do you work?
Let me preface by saying I have a business degree since you will too.

I'm a payroll manager.
I'd rank my liking it as an 9 out of 10. I work for a good company, have good employees and coworkers, the pay and benefits are good, and I feel a sense of pride for a job well done.
I don't dread going into work at all. Sure I'd prefer to not work at all, but all things considered, I've got no complaints.
I work a 40 hour week.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
If you plan on going back to school, go back to school, I wouldnt take more than a year off.
Agreed. Life will sweep you up and you'll never go back except under more difficult and complex circumstances.

M.B.A.? Perhaps.
Masters in Finance? Perhaps not.
Construction Mgt? Perhaps as an M.S.
Pre-law(real estate) for Acquisition Management career? Perhaps.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
loads of people do an MBA after several years have passed from their senior year of college...in fact, going straight to business school from undergrad is probably not the best idea.

Agreed. Life will sweep you up and you'll never go back except under more difficult and complex circumstances.
this quote can also be interpreted as an urging to take time off from the real world or grad school, and strike out on yr own as a vagrant for a while...from what i have seen in my time in ireland, americans are utterly consumed w/ careerism as opposed to their irish counterparts (talking younger people here).

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm currently an IT consultant and finishing up my last semester of a teaching credential. I'll probably never use the credential, but it made my parents feel good at the time when I started to get it.

My job is fun because I get to go from client to client so nothing gets old, however, in a little less than a year I'll probably move to San Diego and take over a job as IT director for a school district (the current director is leaving in august and they asked for me by name) mainly because it's also good to have the final say in how you want things done.

I will say that working in "the real world" and still going to school can be tough, especially when the school you're going to throws a class at you from 10:00 am to 12:00pm twice a week. Get all your schooling done first if you can.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
loads of people do an MBA after several years have passed from their senior year of college...in fact, going straight to business school from undergrad is probably not the best idea.

this quote can also be interpreted as an urging to take time off from the real world or grad school, and strike out on yr own as a vagrant for a while...from what i have seen in my time in ireland, americans are utterly consumed w/ careerism as opposed to their irish counterparts (talking younger people here).
After college graduation, I blinked and 10 years had passed. :biggrin: I'd made a lot of memories, forgot a lot more memories and played with a lot of mammaries, but I've never gone back for my masters'.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
After college graduation, I blinked and 10 years had passed. :biggrin: I'd made a lot of memories, forgot a lot more memories and played with a lot of mammaries, but I've never gone back for my masters'.
Exactly. Loads of people go back for their masters later in life but its harder, and if your masters is something you are seriously interested in I don't see why you would make it harder on yourself. I say go back while you are young and used to being poor and while you have nothing else to focus on but school. Its a full time thing for me, if I had to worry about a mortgage, kids, a full time job, or downsizing my lifestyle to go back, I wouldn't do it.

Niq1

Chimp
Jul 12, 2006
I'd say get your real estate licence, and become a lending powerhouse with the ability to negotiate a sale.
Time off is for when you're established (sabbatical, anyone?) or retired.
Fun is fun, but depending on your location and the job market, you can end up with great memories and few job prospects that match what you would have straight out of school.
Unfortunately, the business world is full of squares who cannot appreciate "time off to find yourself and party."

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Macintosh Sys Admin (promoted from Graphic Artist/Manager)
7.5 (Pays well but I hate the off hours phone calls)
I like the job. (I'm also back in college for Med Tech)
38-42 hrs week. 20 paid days off per year.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Exactly. Loads of people go back for their masters later in life but its harder, and if your masters is something you are seriously interested in I don't see why you would make it harder on yourself.
Because often times a MBA is *much* more valuable if you have a number of years of experience behind you.

And often times big companies will *pay* you to get your MBA.

I think it's quite a bit different than LibArt Masters...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I play a millionaire at parties.

Jackson is a complete nightmare traffic jam of old people and Harleys in the summer. Find a place "outside" of Jackson.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Let me preface by saying I have a business degree since you will too.

I'm a payroll manager.
I'd rank my liking it as an 9 out of 10. I work for a good company, have good employees and coworkers, the pay and benefits are good, and I feel a sense of pride for a job well done.
I don't dread going into work at all. Sure I'd prefer to not work at all, but all things considered, I've got no complaints.
I work a 40 hour week.
I'm with IRB, except that I'm a CPA. To be honest, I don't know many (any?) people who wake up before 6am and say, "YES! Hell yeah baby!! Woo hoo!!!"

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Because often times a MBA is *much* more valuable if you have a number of years of experience behind you.

Also, from what I hear, it's a lot easier to get into grad school if you are a working professional than if you go immediately after getting your four year degree.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'd say go to Jackson. If you don't you'll probably always wish you had. Get it out of your system. Life is for living, not working.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch

Lucky mutherfvckers. I won't even get paid when i get done.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You obviously dig snow and I know you like biking. That second interest would keep me away from jackson. I know it's one of if not the best place to ski in the country......but......It's not like utah, tahoe, washington etc suck for snow. But the one thing they have over jackson is very good mountain biking. If you stay real estate, you could make a killing in any of several good skiing locales.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Yeah, I know. The thought has been brewing in my head for a few weeks now, but nothing has jumped out quite like the poptarts quote. I'd ask for suggestions, but that's f'n lame and defeats the purpose.
no, i was nominating yr previous post as prime sig material!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You obviously dig snow and I know you like biking. That second interest would keep me away from jackson. I know it's one of if not the best place to ski in the country......but......It's not like utah, tahoe, washington etc suck for snow. But the one thing they have over jackson is very good mountain biking. If you stay real estate, you could make a killing in any of several good skiing locales.
Mmmm........... Telluride........ :drool:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think I'd probably take the bad years just to get a few good years at Telluride. That place kicks a$$.

That's actually one of the few places in CO that I've never skied. Gorgeous area fo sho.

Weather is wierd anywhere......hell we had an above average season last year and a record march but it didn't even snow really until late december.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Go somewhere you want to be...you will be forced to somewhere you dont want to be eventually. Screw work, if it was fun, they wouldnt call it work.
I am in the military, for another 8 years. Then I take my little retirement check and head for the mountains. My wife has a degree in Outdoor Recreation, along with an MBA. She doesnt know it yet, but she will be putting it all to work soon. Me? I see a lift attendant, maybe bus driver or rental shop guy soon...
:banana: :banana:

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
My wife has a degree in Outdoor Recreation
I'm not the only one that got suckered into one of those!! It sounds cool and I learned a lot, but.......

I've been so poor I haven't had the ability to enjoy my early 20's as much as I've wished. It looks like I might be one of those people heading back to school after 4-5 years out in the real world.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
I'm not the only one that got suckered into one of those!! It sounds cool and I learned a lot, but.......

I've been so poor I haven't had the ability to enjoy my early 20's as much as I've wished. It looks like I might be one of those people heading back to school after 4-5 years out in the real world.
There were about 4 of you in my fraternity, every one has gone back to school for a real degree. :bonk: