Quantcast

question

ROBBYBIC

Chimp
Jul 16, 2024
Hey there, Im looking at getting a airborne skyhawk, my question is im looking at doing some small trails and maybe some tougher stuff as my skills get better. would it be worth getting a full suspinsion bike or would the front be fine.

thanks for the help

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Where will you be riding? Smooth and flat? Rocky? Full is usually preferred but a good hardtail can be awesome and all you’ll need.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Yeah I'd go with a hardtail bike, less to go wrong/break when you are learning about bikes.
Plus I've always considered that hardtail's teach you more about bike handling skills than a full suspension in the beginning.
The skills you'll learn will transfer across to a fully suspension later on, and make you a better rider on that full suspension bike.
Also if you just starting out, the cash outlay is less in case it turns out to just not be for you..... Just don't go too cheap! Treat an air fork and hydraulic disk brakes (Tektro, Shimano or Sram) as the minimum standard.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Are we talking 'trails' as in jump trails or XC sorta stuff.

The skyhawk is going to be a bit of a one trick pony unless you are really short.

ROBBYBIC

Chimp
Jul 16, 2024
Yeah I'd go with a hardtail bike, less to go wrong/break when you are learning about bikes.
Plus I've always considered that hardtail's teach you more about bike handling skills than a full suspension in the beginning.
The skills you'll learn will transfer across to a fully suspension later on, and make you a better rider on that full suspension bike.
Also if you just starting out, the cash outlay is less in case it turns out to just not be for you..... Just don't go too cheap! Treat an air fork and hydraulic disk brakes (Tektro, Shimano or Sram) as the minimum standard.
I'm on a tight budget right now, I'd buy a used model in that case

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'm a big fan of putting newbs on a hardtail. They are generally cheaper, you get more bike for the price, and you develop skills faster and learn more on a hardtail that will make you a better rider when you graduate to a squishy bike. If you're riding mostly smooth trails their really isn't any "reason" for a full suspension bike. Is it nice to have? Sure, but probably completely unnecessary.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm a big fan of putting newbs on a hardtail. They are generally cheaper, you get more bike for the price, and you develop skills faster and learn more on a hardtail that will make you a better rider when you graduate to a squishy bike. If you're riding mostly smooth trails their really isn't any "reason" for a full suspension bike. Is it nice to have? Sure, but probably completely unnecessary.

Agreed, however I think a lot experienced riders are missing out on the hardtail experience. Long dropper posts and modern geometry make them straight up giggle machines.