Quantcast

Questions about California, and schools.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Hey guys/gals,

Next year I will be done with Highschool and looking to start college and find a new place to live. I am really wnating to move to California for many reasons, 1 being I can't stand winter (I live in Vermont) and the atmosphere over their seems more my style.

About schooling, I was told that once you gain residency that schooling over there is fairly cheap compared to schooling here in the Northeast, is this fact or fiction?

Anyway, I am just trying to see what I would be getting myself into if I moved out there, a buddy is thinking of moving somewhere into Norcal, I might stay with him or do my own thing In Socal near Laguna. Still unsure....

What are the main differences between Northern and Southern California?

Fill me in homies,
Dan

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
rockymt21 said:
What are the differences between Miami and New York?

Bay Area rocks if you have oodles of $$.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
amydalayna said:
this could definitely be a thread of its own.
On why we want socal to be a separate state, divided right at Bakersfield?

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Sorry if I seem Nieve (sp?) but I really don't know a ton about California other then the fact that I have been wnating to live there for ever.

Can anyone give me some actuall info other then non-helpful comments?

Dan

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
rockymt21 said:
Sorry if I seem Nieve (sp?) but I really don't know a ton about California other then the fact that I have been wnating to live there for ever.

Can anyone give me some actuall info other then non-helpful comments?

Dan
My analogy sums it up. Socal is very "beach" and "sun" and "cars".

Norcal is more "fog" and "rugged coastline" and "elk".

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
H8R said:

and heres my interpretation of that. socal is for girly men and norcal is for manly men. :p

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
H8R said:

your analogy is just about 100% correct...

aside from the fact that most of california is not right on the ocean.

rockymt, try and visit rather than relying on us yahoo's to tell you whether you will like it or not. i moved to borecal about 3 years ago from the east cost. it's nice, the biking is really good just about everywhere that I have been (pretty much only the north 1/2 of this too-big-for-it's-own-good state), it's sunny all summer, winter weather depends on where you are, and I have a theory that I share with many people that there is something in the water here that makes the percentage of hot girls much higher than back home. with all that said i'm heading back east in a year, I think by then I'll have had enough.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
gnurider1080 said:
and heres my interpretation of that. socal is for girly men and norcal is for manly men. :p
Right. Socal is for girly men who wear board shorts and hair gel. Norcal is for manly men...who wear ass-less chaps and hair gel.

Forget it bro, the whole state is f'd up.

:D

Seriously I've been everywhere in the country an if it wasn't for family being here I'd live in Seattle or Portland. CA is way too crowded and expensive.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
H8R said:
oh how true. it was so foggy this morning that i drove straignt into an elk before flying off a cliff on the rugged coastline.

but seriously. take a look at out of state tuition first. it can be hard to get in-state rates.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
rockymt21 said:
Hey guys/gals,

Next year I will be done with Highschool and looking to start college and find a new place to live. I am really wnating to move to California for many reasons, 1 being I can't stand winter (I live in Vermont) and the atmosphere over their seems more my style.

About schooling, I was told that once you gain residency that schooling over there is fairly cheap compared to schooling here in the Northeast, is this fact or fiction?

Anyway, I am just trying to see what I would be getting myself into if I moved out there, a buddy is thinking of moving somewhere into Norcal, I might stay with him or do my own thing In Socal near Laguna. Still unsure....

Fill me in homies,
Dan

Dan,

The instate tuition for me at a Cal State school is just under $1000 for a quarter. The closest school to Laguna is UCI, and the closest state school is CSUFullerton. Housing in Laguna is going to cost quite a lot though, but there is great riding, good beaches, and many hot chicks.
Also people from NorCal are just jealous that they aren't down south.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
amydalayna said:
oh how true. it was so foggy this morning that i drove straignt into an elk before flying off a cliff on the rugged coastline.
Well, I'm talking WAY north. I almost hit an elk on my bike once.

:D

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I'll try to be helpfull.

Yes, once you have acieved permanent residency as a Californian tuition is cheaper (I believe this is only for state schools or UC's - not private). I knew several people who did this. The actual cost difference should be available at the universities website.
Your parents won't be able to claim you as a dependant anymore on their taxes, and you will be placed in another tax bracket. You may, however, be eligable for more scholarships.

As for Nor-Cal vs. So-Cal... they could be considered seperate states. If you want the stereotypical "Cali" scene of television, you want So-Cal. Nor-Cal people use wierd words like "hella". It's colder up here too, but nothging compared to Vermont. (I'm in the east bay right now and it's ~70 degrees and not a cloud in the sky).

Yes, it's overcrowded here. You have no idea what traffic is. If you decide to come out here and ride bikes while at school, I recommend UC Santa Barbara or Cal Poly SLO (both central cali). Both UCSD and Cal Poy Pomona are supposed to have good riding, but I havn't really done much of it.

Stay home. And good luck.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Metal said:
Also people from NorCal are just jealous that they aren't down south.
I'm ok, i found the last hot girl in the bay area who isn't on coke.

Rocky, that's something to think about, socal has much better ratio of hot girls for sure. And they use razors.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
H8R said:
Rocky, that's something to think about, socal has much better ratio of hot girls for sure. And they use razors.
i think the quote goes something like: girls in tahoe are like parking spaces. they are either taken or handicapped.

(note: i am not handicapped)

solar

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
Metal said:
Dan,

The instate tuition for me at a Cal State school is just under $1000 for a quarter.
Yep, the Cal State system is pretty reasonable for residents. Fees just went up again so now its just over $1,000 per quarter.

Out of state fees are high. Add $226.00 PER UNIT on top of the grand per quarter! ouch.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
amydalayna said:
i think the quote goes something like: girls in tahoe are like parking spaces. they are either taken or handicapped.

My ex-GF was from south lake. Damn what a wacko.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Biscuit said:
He's from Vermont. You might as well be speaking Spanish.
HAHA, exactly what I was thinking, thanks for your previous post. Im gonna have to do a bunch of research on this before I travel cross country.

Dan

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
You're going to spend a ton of money on college no matter where you live these days. I've lived in So Cal my entire life and attended school here, as well. From I remember, I looked around at some schools in different areas, and don't remember them being any cheaper.

I've only visted Nor Cal, but never lived there. I know the winters can be a little worse up north and I know they say "hella" a lot. Other than that, it's probably all the same.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
amydalayna said:

you don't break up, you lose your turn. and maybe it's because i'm from the other side of the country but I also have no idea what these fractional statements are about. am I wearing a 1/4 or a 5/8ths?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
rockymt21 said:
HAHA, exactly what I was thinking, thanks for your previous post. Im gonna have to do a bunch of research on this before I travel cross country.

Dan
Serioulsy bro, you need to take a road trip. CA is HUGE, there is a little bit of everything here - desert, mountain, river valley, rocky coast line, beaches, ghettos, herds of grizzly bears, etc.

It's hard to sum it all up in one thread.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Also,

I don't think a visit is possible, I can ask my mom but after my brother went to school here in the Northeast I kind of got the shaft money wise, were trying to save up as much as possible because tuition for my brothers school was about 15-17 G's a year. On top of that I just got a car so were barely making do at the moment.

Dan

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Biscuit said:
I'm laughing so hard it's hard to type!
i aim to please.:D when you stop laughing could you take a second to fill me in, i'm really curious as to what the hell they are talking about.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
How hard is it to gain residancy?

Whats the process like and how long do you have to live there?

Dan

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
dfinn said:
i aim to please.:D when you stop laughing could you take a second to fill me in, i'm really curious as to what the hell they are talking about.
Don't feel bad. I'm a native and I have no idea of what he's talking about.

Oh yeah... stay home.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
amydalayna said:

Bwahahahaha, hilarious!!

I also have no idea what the fractions are about...:confused:

rockymt21, you really should try to visit before you commit to a school.