Quantcast

Questions about California, and schools.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
kidwoo said:
WETSUITS PEOPLE:)

. 4/5 = 4mm arms, 5mm torso.

And I'm even from the east coast. You other transplants fail. Go home and talk funny.
forida doesn't count. they have wild aligators there that are allowed to roam the streets. my arms are bigger than 4mms and my torso is MUCH bigger than 5mm so I think I would have a problem finding a wetsuit that fit.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
dfinn said:
forida doesn't count. they have wild aligators there that are allowed to roam the streets. my arms are bigger than 4mms and my torso is MUCH bigger than 5mm so I think I would have a problem finding a wetsuit that fit.
That's the thickness of the neoprene that the wetsuit is made out of.

Scarpa

Chimp
Aug 31, 2005
Felton
jimmydean said:
I think it's 6 months, but might be a year.
Uh pretty sure it's more like 2 years. Not easy.

California is pretty huge, and not all of it is overcrowded and super expensive, just the nice parts. If you are willing to live more than 50 miles from the coast in a desert or the central valley you can live cheaply. There's great riding all over the state so that's not really a big deal. Norcal and socal are VERY different.. both in terms of the environment and the people.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Scarpa said:

California is pretty huge, and not all of it is overcrowded and super expensive, just the nice parts. If you are willing to live more than 50 miles from the coast in a desert or the central valley you can live cheaply. There's great riding all over the state so that's not really a big deal. Norcal and socal are VERY different.. both in terms of the environment and the people.
pretty sure it's 1 year

http://www.dvc.edu/admissions/residency.htm
http://www.registrar.ucsb.edu/residenc.htm

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Scarpa said:

My ex wife was able to be considered a resident in 6 months. Maybe it's different for students though.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
rockymt21 said:
How hard is it to gain residancy?

Whats the process like and how long do you have to live there?

Dan
I will have been in the Bay Area two years this Feb. After a year of living here, I became a resident and can take classes at the locals price. I don't know much about LA, other than you have to drive a lot more than you do here. The cool thing about the Bay Area is that there is riding all over.

Registering a car here is hella expensive compared to other states. At least Oregon. The weather is nice. If you plan to go to school, I would get a job first and then move here. Then work for a while and ride your bike. Then I would go to a community college and transfer. Classes are cheap here as a resident. Don't know how the University is- I already have a BFA, just taking supplemental design/ multimedia classes.

Some community colleges here are way better than others though, be warned.

For more info on riding here, check my blog,
www.ihatebikes.net

good luck

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
If you do decide to move here don't even bother registering your car here. A buddy of mine has been living here for 3 years and kept his VT tags and reg the whole time.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
dfinn said:
If you do decide to move here don't even bother registering your car here. A buddy of mine has been living here for 3 years and kept his VT tags and reg the whole time.
Bahaha,

When my bro moved to Boston he kept his VT plates on. He went out to his car one day while heading to work and one of the windows were smashed in and someone drew graffiti on his license pates, what a welcoming environment.

Dan

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I'm kinda curious on what you plan on going to school for. That should be more important in regards to your school choice then whether or not you choose northern or souther california. Y'know?

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
amydalayna said:
I'm kinda curious on what you plan on going to school for. That should be more important in regards to your school choice then whether or not you choose northern or souther california. Y'know?
wisdom.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
True True,

I am not really sure as of yet what exactly I want to do, I have some ideas though....

I have a nac for art, Ive always been good at it, but not sure sure its something I wnat to major in.

Photography is something I am also interested in, but it doesn't sound like a very steady paying type career.

Business is always something to fall back on.

Dan

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
School will be cheaper (Tuition only)
The "room and Board" side of things will NOT. Rent is VERY high here, and even food and gas are pretty $$$.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
My family is paying 45 grand a year at Cornell for my sister. :stosh:

Stay away from Cali. And dont go to a college if you have never even been there, let alone the state! I want to go some where in Idaho or Washington, both very good states. Idaho is probably the most under rated riding state of all.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Yes but Cornell is a very good school. Im not a genius here, if I even had the grades to go to a school like that the only way I would be able to go is on scholarship, we can't afford that.

Dan

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
More on establishing residency.

You are going to have to move to California and live there for at least a year. You cannot attend school while you are trying to establish your year of residency, either.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
rockymt21 said:
Bahaha,

When my bro moved to Boston he kept his VT plates on. He went out to his car one day while heading to work and one of the windows were smashed in and someone drew graffiti on his license pates, what a welcoming environment.

Dan
you think the cause of that was his VT plates? Hmm...I might have to do that to my friend and tell him it was his fault he didn't get cali plates.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
dfinn said:
you think the cause of that was his VT plates? Hmm...I might have to do that to my friend and tell him it was his fault he didn't get cali plates.
I have no idea, coincidence I guess?

Dan

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
rockymt21 said:
Yes but Cornall is a very good school. Im not a genius here, if I even had the grades to go to a school like that the only way I would be able to go is on scholarship, we can't afford that.

Dan
If you are trying to keep costs low then you would might want to consider staying closer to home. The cost of airfare can add up.
I remember back when I was in Connnecticut that my boyfriend was able to go to school in Mass for the price of in-state because he was studying something that wasn't offered at UCONN. Does VT do something similar? That way you can go to somewhere other than UVM for the in-state price. Might be something to think about.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
rockymt21 said:
Yes but Cornell is a very good school. Im not a genius here, if I even had the grades to go to a school like that the only way I would be able to go is on scholarship, we can't afford that.

Dan
Most California universities are very hard to get into. Residents get priority. Get your grades up first by going the junior college route.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
amydalayna said:
If you are trying to keep costs low then you would might want to consider staying closer to home. The cost of airfare can add up.
I remember back when I was in Connnecticut that my boyfriend was able to go to school in Mass for the price of in-state because he was studying something that wasn't offered at UCONN. Does VT do something similar? That way you can go to somewhere other than UVM for the in-state price. Might be something to think about.
Im not positive, I still need to look into school alot more before I know this type of stuff, right now I am just getting and idea of where i want to go and what I want to do. I really want to get away from the East Coast, all of new england is the same, trust me, Im looking for a change.

Dan

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've lived in different parts of the northeast and on both coasts (so has Amy D and others), trust ME, not all of the northeast is the same - or maybe you think Boston is just like West Hartford which is just like Manhattan? Weatherwise, yeah maybe but otherwise...dude no offense but it sounds like you need to get out more.

And listen to Amy D - figure out why you are going to school and find something that offers what you want. It's an important decision that should be driven by where the schools are, not by what schools are where you want to be. It's four years, you can move when it's over.

splat

Nam I am
OGRipper said:
I've lived in different parts of the northeast and on both coasts (so has Amy D and others), trust ME, not all of the northeast is the same - or maybe you think Boston is just like West Hartford which is just like Manhattan? Weatherwise, yeah maybe but otherwise...dude no offense but it sounds like you need to get out more.
I agree completely , I've lived all over this great country of ours east coast , west coast , the south , back to the East coast and fianlly up here to New England .

I've Lived in New York State, (not far enough away from the city ) was very nice . lived in California ( San Jose ) way too crowded , too expensive for me , Lived in Texas , Way too flat and Boring for me . Lived in DC, Really enjoyed that , and I fianlly have settled in the Boston area.

you just need to get out a little first, and no all over new England is not the same ! trust me on that one.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
If you want art or photo come out here to the Brooks Institute of Photograghy, graphic design being the art part, I't ain't cheap but almost everybody qualifies for financal aid. For photo this is one of the top schools anywhere. Brooks.edu It's in the Ventura Santa Barbra area so youl need a 3/2 and mabye some boots.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
rockymt21 said:
True True,

Photography is something I am also interested in, but it doesn't sound like a very steady paying type career.

Dan
With photography, if you freelance, you are perpetualy unemployed, but once you get some contacts, and have a good portfolio/ reputation, you only need to work 2-3 jobs a week.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Dan,

Im in the same boat as you right now. You DEF do not want to commit to a school you haven't been too. Trying to get residency at a school on the complete opposite side of the country is going to be VERY difficult. Its just your undergrad dude. Go somewhere in-state, pay cheap prices and then when you know waht you want to do go live somewhere and go to grad school. Its just retarted to go out of state, let alone to California for an undergrad you haven't even decided on. Undergrad's really mean dick these days as far as making decent money so just cop out like me and go in state. If anything try to go somewhere down the East Coast. North Carolina has TONS of sweet schools and lots of riding. I was looking at residency in CO for CU at boulder and it was 1 year, you had to be "independent" from your parents and fill out an ungodly amount of paper work. Stay home man, your not gunna be ready to move that far away let alone finance the whole thing.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Ive been all over New England, and NYC is by far my favorite place. CT is acceptable down by the coast line, but up where i live, it sucks. Maine is very hickish, and NH can be kind of a geographic pain if you have family in Maine. Vermot is rich weekenders who drive volvos, and NH is hicks with pickups. Boston, is, Boston.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
mack said:
My family is paying 45 grand a year at Cornell for my sister. :stosh:

Stay away from Cali. And dont go to a college if you have never even been there, let alone the state! I want to go some where in Idaho or Washington, both very good states. Idaho is probably the most under rated riding state of all.
I agree on the not going somewhere you've never been just because you think you want to. I have a friend who grew up in MA and has lived in Maine for a long time now. He spends his time saving money to go on surf trips all over the world and one day decided to that San Diego was the place he needed to be to finish school and surf. He ended up hating it and moving back to Maine. Nothing wrong with the city. Just not his style place (and school).

SLAPSHOT

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
SoCal
maxyedor said:
If you want art or photo come out here to the Brooks Institute of Photograghy, graphic design being the art part, I't ain't cheap but almost everybody qualifies for financal aid. For photo this is one of the top schools anywhere. Brooks.edu It's in the Ventura Santa Barbra area so youl need a 3/2 and mabye some boots.
LOL, boots are a plus, and Brooks is top notch.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I love rural New England. Not a big fan of winter, but I deal. Taking road trips - vacations when you can is key.

Besides - I need more than 2 hands to count all the lift mtns I can ride on the east coast for the summer. How many are there in California? :devil: