Quantcast

Questions about iPad ripoffs.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So I've been checking out a few cheap 7" Android based pads. I wanted to know if anyone has checked them out, or seem one in action. The one I looked at was about $140 with wifi and 32G of storage.

I know I can do a lot with the wifi, but what about a GPS dongle? There are 2 USB ports, would this be a bitch to get working on a rip off?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wouldn't get one right away unless you like playing around with 'puters.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
anything under $400 right now is pretty much garbage.

the nook color can be hacked into one, but that's more of just a neat "oh hey look what i did" for the most part.

hp's new webOS tablet looks like its gonna give the ipad a serious run for its money. it was confirmed today, but no word on pricing yet.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I found a Windows CE 7" with built in GPS. Not a big fan of the CE, but that could be rectified. I'm looking for something to put in the truck, not something I will haul around and play with a lot.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Besides, looking at the Honeycomb interface... Frickin' sweet. Now is not the time to buy a cheap knockoff - pick up a Honeycomb tablet when the prices come down.

I still don't know WTF Apple was thinking filling a 10" screen with a grid of tiny little square icons. For a company that makes their living designing a good user experience, they sure got that one wrong. Not that you could tell it from the sales numbers :think:, but they'd better hurry with a proper tablet desktop before they miss the chunk of the market that isn't buying based on name and image.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Honeycomb tablets look sweet for sure, but do I need something that buff in my '66 Chevy truck? :rofl:

I just want to control my stereo, run my alarm, and write an app to control my air ride setup. It's not like I'll be sniffing neighborhood traffic or anything.

For $600 I would just get the Nakamichi IN-DV7 and carry a key fob for my door locks.

If the prices get to $250, then maybe. My netbook fits in the glove box, but I've already cut my dash in anticipation.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The Honeycomb tablets look sweet for sure, but do I need something that buff in my '66 Chevy truck? :rofl:

I just want to control my stereo, run my alarm, and write an app to control my air ride setup. It's not like I'll be sniffing neighborhood traffic or anything.
that would be the hardest thing to try and control. i havent seen or heard about anything that could send a RF frequency to control the alarm system... or anything RF based for that matter.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
that would be the hardest thing to try and control. i havent seen or heard about anything that could send a RF frequency to control the alarm system... or anything RF based for that matter.
http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/Android

I won't use the remote start, but as a push button ignition in the dash it would be kinda cool. I am just looking to use the keyless entry piece.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The hardest part is moding my door latches. There was a great write up back in like 2001 on how to do it, I'm just waiting until my actuators get here this week before I pull everything apart.

DEI makes some sweet products. The Viper can be had for $100 on ebay.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The Nook Color is hacked to run Honeycomb, if you're just using it for small tasks that might actually be a great option. Current OS support, but inexpensive hardware.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The hardest part is moding my door latches. There was a great write up back in like 2001 on how to do it, I'm just waiting until my actuators get here this week before I pull everything apart.

DEI makes some sweet products. The Viper can be had for $100 on ebay.
opening the door with actuators/poppers shouldnt be a problem, we used to do that with DEI products all the time.

DEI does make great products, but ive always found their expensive stuff does not last long. my Clifford RSX3.5 has been D.O.A. for a while and we used to see a lot of their stuff broken at our shop.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm not using door poppers, just the regular alarm door lock actuator. The issue with the 60-72 doors is they lock from the outside either with a key and from the inside with the handle. So you have to weld a mounting plate to the bottom of the door latch to attach the actuator to, then run a cable from the lock to the actuator and remove the piece that attaches to the handle. This way you can unlock the door from the outside with either a key or with the actuator, then either leave the doors unlocked while inside, or unlock using the fob or a remote switch (mine will be under the dash or something).

The nook looks promising, but I hope that in a few months there will be more options.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
gotcha. i forgot how old your truck was.

the Xoom looks sweet, but the price doesnt. id like to see more info on the Playstation tablet too.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The dreambook 7 has some better hardware and there is talk of an upgrade to Android 3 in the future. I know before the end of spring there will be a dual core 7" that can run 3, so I'll sit and wait.

Here's my low-tech mock up :rofl:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the Xoom does look great but $600+-800 is a bit nuts. it will still be tough to chip away at the Ipad's ridiculous market share.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Xoom looks incredible, but the price is the killer. Give it 6 months and there will be a stack of dual proc Honeycomb pads for sub $300.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Why is the price a killer for the Xoom? Everyone keeps harping on the price.

The 3G, 32gb iPad is $730. The Xoom is $70 more, but will support 4G LTE and has superior hardware.

The 32gb, Wifi-only version of the Xoom will be $600. The 32gb, Wifi-only version of the iPad is $599.

The only thing Motorola is lacking is a 16gb model to compete with the $500 version of the iPad.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I never said the price for the iPad was awesome, either. I love my Galaxy S phone, but I wouldn't have paid $300 for it (it was free).

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Why is the price a killer for the Xoom? Everyone keeps harping on the price.
even though it is a better product, the masses are still going to flock to the "superior" apple product which is similarly priced. if these companies want to take the Ipad's market share away, offering a better product at a lower price will help them do that.
the "hardcore" users who like all the features/customization that the Xoom or a any Droid tablet has, will obviously buy that over a Ipad. but its a similar thing to how the Iphone is so popular, people will buy anything Apple related and think its amazing even though it might not be.

Plus, Apple's Ipad2 news conference is soon and no one knows what it will or wont have and at what price