Quantcast

Questions about my visit in May.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Aloha Colorado,

I last came out about 2 years ago in the middle of winter and rode at Red Rocks (i think) with Pixelninja and LordOpie. It was about 8 degrees.
Then I hit up the ESPN skatepark with some other monkies. That was alot of fun.

But now Im coming out in what I hope will be some better weather in May. What trails near denver (ie. 1-2 hours) are the best around? Im not looking for huge climbs or huge drops...just some good trail rides, pretty gnarly or pretty flowy if you have them.

Also, anyone flyfish? Know of any hike-in lakes or streams I should consider hitting up?

It'd be awesome if I could ride with some locals of course, but advice is always good. Yeah, its early, i know, but never too early to plan.

Thanks!

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
There's a ton of trails within an hour and a half of denver to hit up. If you want downhill only a few shuttles will be available at that time. primarily the one in teh colorado springs. For xc there is trails all over the place.

Are you staying with a fried/family member out here?
Do you have a vehicle to get around?

For fly fishing i have no clue about where to go. But i do know there is amazing streams all throughout colorado.

Good luck and let us know when your coming out

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
BurlyShirley said:
Aloha Colorado,

I last came out about 2 years ago in the middle of winter and rode at Red Rocks (i think) with Pixelninja and LordOpie. It was about 8 degrees.
Then I hit up the ESPN skatepark with some other monkies. That was alot of fun.

But now Im coming out in what I hope will be some better weather in May. What trails near denver (ie. 1-2 hours) are the best around? Im not looking for huge climbs or huge drops...just some good trail rides, pretty gnarly or pretty flowy if you have them.

Also, anyone flyfish? Know of any hike-in lakes or streams I should consider hitting up?

It'd be awesome if I could ride with some locals of course, but advice is always good. Yeah, its early, i know, but never too early to plan.

Thanks!
Yeah, that was us.

The trail we rode would be a good trail to do again without snow. Some really good technical stuff.

Just on the other side of the highway from there is an area called Apex Park. A bit more climbing, but more miles of great xc singletrack.

White Ranch is great if you don't mind a bit of climbing.

My favorite place for an all-day ride would be Buffalo Creek. Its about 1 hour SW of Denver down highway 285. The way we usually ride it ends up being around 25 miles, and we only touch about 1/2 of the trails there. The trails are non-technical singletrack and the climbing is moderate. And of course, after you ride BC, its required that you go and eat at the Bucksnort Saloon in Sphinx Park.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
caputo1989 said:
A good one is ride the Colorado trail through watertion canyon up past the dam (about 20+ miles from the trail head) and there is some dam(n) good fishing. Find a place to stash the fishing stuff and ride the single track out there.
yeah, Waterton is a beautiful ride and I always see people fishing there. They bike in with their gear.

As for riding west of the Front Range, don't count on enough snow melt to make that work (unless you wanna drive to Fruita).

check out:
http://trailcentral.com/trail/index.php?county=Boulder&state=CO
http://trailcentral.com/trail/index.php?county=Jefferson&state=CO

Cuz I'm a wuss roadie and rehabing my ACL surgery, no dirt for me. Keep us posted and we'll hook up for a meal.

Is Kizzi joining you? Are you staying with your mom? Are you bringing your dog?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
LordOpie said:
yeah, Waterton is a beautiful ride and I always see people fishing there. They bike in with their gear.

As for riding west of the Front Range, don't count on enough snow melt to make that work (unless you wanna drive to Fruita).

check out:
http://trailcentral.com/trail/index.php?county=Boulder&state=CO
http://trailcentral.com/trail/index.php?county=Jefferson&state=CO

Cuz I'm a wuss roadie and rehabing my ACL surgery, no dirt for me. Keep us posted and we'll hook up for a meal.

Is Kizzi joining you? Are you staying with your mom? Are you bringing your dog?
Yes, yes and yes. And quit being such a sissy and go mountain biking.

Also, Pixel. 25 miles? Thats a long way. I did 17 once in Hawaii and it wasnt all that bad, but in that elevation? I guess Ill start riding more, or something.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
BurlyShirley said:

Also, Pixel. 25 miles? Thats a long way. I did 17 once in Hawaii and it wasnt all that bad, but in that elevation? I guess Ill start riding more, or something.
Buffalo Creek is a nice easy ride........

You've never done a 25 mile ride before?? :think:

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
BurlyShirley said:

As long as there are at least 2 cars in the equation, there is a way to semi-shuttle Buffalo Creek. It knocks off about 6 miles and maybe 750-1000 ft of climbing.

Most of the trails just outside of Denver in Golden, Morrison and Lakewood are much shorter than that.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
SkaredShtles said:
Buffalo Creek is a nice easy ride........

You've never done a 25 mile ride before?? :think:
There is no trail in my state 25 miles long, as far as I know. Not saying I cant make it. Im a pretty good rider, actually. Ive just never doneit.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
pixelninja said:
Just on the other side of the highway from there is an area called Apex Park. A bit more climbing, but more miles of great xc singletrack.

White Ranch is great if you don't mind a bit of climbing.

My favorite place for an all-day ride would be Buffalo Creek.
burly, i rode BC and Apex (along w/ hogback/red rocks, and bergen) the sole time i was out in denver. i liked all of those rides.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
BurlyShirley said:
There is no trail in my state 25 miles long, as far as I know. Not saying I cant make it. Im a pretty good rider, actually. Ive just never doneit.
You need to get out more then. TN has plenty of places with 25+ miles of trails. Big South Fork, Cherokee National Forest, Windrock, etc.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
profro said:
You need to get out more then. TN has plenty of places with 25+ miles of trails. Big South Fork, Cherokee National Forest, Windrock, etc.
BS prefers to ride the bike paths in parks around the mens room.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
profro said:
Yeah, Windrock has 25+ miles of trails if I link together the 25, 1-mile DH runs. :love:

As for the others you've mentioned, yeah, theres alot of places I could go to and loop 3 or 4 trails together and get 25 miles, i guess. But doing so would suck.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BurlyShirley said:
As for the others you've mentioned, yeah, theres alot of places I could go to and loop 3 or 4 trails together and get 25 miles, i guess. But doing so would suck.
why? epic rides are fun. an annual event i used to was the all-terrain metric century. i'd drive down to my friend's house in somerville, we'd ride to north station, hop on the train and take it to rockport. then we'd pedal back home, hitting a bunch of trails, some fire road, and some asphalt. most of it was trail though; the road bit was mainly getting from beverly to salem, and then out of breakheart and through malden into the Fells.

good times. maybe i'll hit that one up again this summer. haven't done it in a while.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
yeah, a 25+ mile plus solo ride would be a drag...there's gotta be other bikers around in Smashville, no?
Yeah. But I dont know too many of them. They're all real churchy too.I scream 'hail satan' way too often for those guys.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
BurlyShirley said:
You could ride 50+ miles at Windrock and never touch the same trail. Granted its not single track, but its not gravel roads either. Same goes for Big South Fork, but its single track. I don't know if Cherokee has enough "bike" trails to link a single 25 miler without crossing or redoing a trail.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
profro said:
You could ride 50+ miles at Windrock and never touch the same trail. Granted its not single track, but its not gravel roads either. Same goes for Big South Fork, but its single track. I don't know if Cherokee has enough "bike" trails to link a single 25 miler without crossing or redoing a trail.
It can be done in Cherokee....I did one right before Thanksgiving. A short stint on a fire road, but there are a ton of trails out there. Hell, I've done over 25 on chilhowee mtn. Rumor has it you can even do that at Norris State Park/Watershed.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
BS, when in May are you going? I'll be up there Memorial Day weekend, probably riding some of the trails these guys are mentioning.

LittleBetty

e-stalker
Oct 24, 2005
Mile High State
There is Green Mountain 6mile loop, Mathew Winters, Apex, Lair of Bear, Dakota Ridge, LOTS of front range mountain biking that wouldn't require you to take any trips outside of the front range. Boulder also has Heil Ranch and Hall Ranch. Both good rides and not especially long.
Your coming in May and it could snow in May in Colorado especially at higher elevations.
Have fun on your trip.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
LittleBetty said:
There is Green Mountain 6mile loop, Mathew Winters, Apex, Lair of Bear, Dakota Ridge, LOTS of front range mountain biking that wouldn't require you to take any trips outside of the front range. Boulder also has Heil Ranch and Hall Ranch. Both good rides and not especially long.
Your coming in May and it could snow in May in Colorado especially at higher elevations.
Have fun on your trip.
I know a lot of locals scoff at Green Mountain as too easy and they only ride there when its the only trail dry, but there is lots of really really fun singletrack on that little hill. I was there on saturday and rode everything that was dry. The N and N/E sides were still a bit sloppy, but everything else was fun and FAST. If you put together the Green Mtn trail and the Hayden trail, you can put in almost 10 miles, and that doesn't count all the unmarked trails on the N/E side.

LittleBetty

e-stalker
Oct 24, 2005
Mile High State
pixelninja said:
I know a lot of locals scoff at Green Mountain as too easy and they only ride there when its the only trail dry, but there is lots of really really fun singletrack on that little hill. I was there on saturday and rode everything that was dry. The N and N/E sides were still a bit sloppy, but everything else was fun and FAST. If you put together the Green Mtn trail and the Hayden trail, you can put in almost 10 miles, and that doesn't count all the unmarked trails on the N/E side.
Well for a none local looking to get some good riding in without having to travel too far I suggest our front range rides. They are fun and and you can always connect GM with Dakota Ridge and some of the others. It could be a real challenge to some no-locals. :) I love GM especially cause I only live 3miles away from it.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
LittleBetty said:
Well for a none local looking to get some good riding in without having to travel too far I suggest our front range rides. They are fun and and you can always connect GM with Dakota Ridge and some of the others. It could be a real challenge to some no-locals. :) I love GM especially cause I only live 3miles away from it.
Yeah, the front range is blessed with lots of quality rides. I've lived here 6 years but only rode GM for the first time a few weeks ago, simply because I'd been told that it was too easy. I've been there a few times since and its a blast. And you can make it as hard or as easy as you want.

Here's a GPS profile that someone did and they put in over 20 miles and approx 5500' vert feet: http://www.trailcentral.com/gps/gps_details.php?key=38

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
pixelninja said:
Green Mountain kicks a$$! :thumb:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
depending on the temps, there is some stuff off the peak to peak highway that kicks ass. if we are lucky, it may be ready to go in late may. it's usually dry and rideable earlier than the stuff further out/higher up. mmmmm, sourdough/south st. vrain brainard area has some of my favorite stuff. nice long rides, half an hour from me, and 10-20 degrees cooler in the summer than the stuff close to metro.

otherwise, hooking up the MW, Dakota, Red Rocks, Apex, Chimney Gulch, Falcon stuff can be pretty damn good. easy to do all sorts of variations/loops, and close to town so you don't have to spend vacation and ride time driving all over the place. White Ranch, as others have said. Hall Ranch a bit more north. no monster climbs, but some pretty fun descents.

the connector hooking up Devil's Backbone with Coyote Ridge up north may be done by then, too, but that may be a bit more north than you want to drive. more stuff up north by ft. collins as well.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Awesome. Im glad so many of you guys are posting in here, and Im hoping a few of you will want to ride, anyway.

Looks like the 2nd week of May I'll be heading out, and will be there for 2-3 weeks, with no plans really. I will probably drive down to Moab as well for 2-3 days just to check that place out. If anyone's interested in that....

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
The man is right! Longer drive, but worth it. Absolutely killer XC riding out there.
Longer drive, yes, but you can still get there in under an hour from the Morrison lots. Like I wrote earlier in this thread, BC is my favorite place for an all day ride.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
pixelninja said:
Longer drive, yes, but you can still get there in under an hour from the Morrison lots. Like I wrote earlier in this thread, BC is my favorite place for an all day ride.
Yeah, but when it's 10 minutes to Falcon, 15 to Green Mt, 15 to Waterton, 10 to K/C, 15 to Deer Creek........ :D