Quantcast

Questions about the Plano, TX area....

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
This is pretty much a cross post from the Texas forum….a few cool people replied, but it seems that forum doesn’t get much traffic……Hoping some others from the area could help....

Well, the wife said that she could transfer to the Plano area if we wanted to move there and she would keep her So. Cal. salary. There would even be a chance that I could keep my current job at my current salary. I’m not even sure if this is something that I am interested in, so I’d like to ask a question or two in regards to my “recreation”….keep in mind that I have never been there, but it’s much more affordable then where we are currently living. Don’t get me wrong…I have grown to love So. Cal., but it’s damn expensive.

Looking at a map the place looks to be a flat as a pancake. That would be a serious downer to our mountain biking, camping, and snowboarding. Is there anyplace close to ride? Downhill or technical trails preferred…I have never tried 4X but I hear that there is a nice track in the area? I’m not a dirt jumper or anything like that, so that type of stuff isn’t a big concern to me….

How far are the nearest mountains? It’s hard to tell this stuff from a map and only people who are into this type of stuff will know the info I’m after. We plan on visiting the area soon, but a little extra info would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks! :thumb:

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
flat flat and more flat. And no trees. And more flatness. And lots of sky. And more flat land. And hot. Very hot. And did I mention flat?

splat

Nam I am
I lived in Plano for 3 years, compared to so cal its cheap. but flat and Hot. I never did any Mt biking down there , But did lots of road riding. Not much climbing , but you sometimes get some serious Head winds. and I hope you like foot ball that is all they talk about down there, oh and they talk funny too

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Went through the exact same scenario a few years ago. We decided to stay in CA and I'm 100% happy that we did. Go there and check it out before you do anything else. Although, if a huge house is your #1 criteria, you will have found your mecca.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
I grew up in Dallas, but moved away before I really got into MTB. I've heard there are actually some pretty decent trails within an hour of Dallas/Plano. There was a relatively recent Bike magazine issue (maybe this fall - Oct?) that had a little essay about TX/AR/OK riding, and they raved about one of the Dallas-area trails. But nothing DH...it's flat. And it's hot. And humid. But Texans are good peeps, Dallas is a good town as far as big cities go - great food, clubs, arts/culture, etc.

But I've lived the outdoor lifestyle for 10+ years across the west now (Cali, CO, UT) and honestly I'd have a helluva hard time going back. There's just not much to do for exxxxtreme sports besides road ride, some mtb trails, and wakeboard at the lake. Maybe some good climbing down by Austin or wayyy out west.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The last time I was there (7yrs) it was like anywhere else USA. The folks in the office I visited where hockey fans and it weird to hear them talk about it with that texas accent.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Slugman said:
You'll have to get back into racing cars...
Well, that WAS one of the things that was a "plus" for this......but I just don't know if it is the right move for me. What I'm reading here pretty much confirms what I had thought.....

I won't judge anything until I see if for myself......BTW slugman, a no-can-do for this weekend....I've been sick and actually called in today (which is why I posting a thread like this....)

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
jeb4 said:
BTW slugman, a no-can-do for this weekend....I've been sick and actually called in today (which is why I posting a thread like this....)
No worries - Hope you feel better!

We'll scope it out for ya and report back!

J

JRB

meh - there are some pretty fine trails within 1 1/2 hours of Dallas. There are more in Austin, which is 3 hours from Dallas. It's not all that flat, but there are no super long downs. The ups seem that way though. Maybe I will post some pics from yesterday that's a taste of trails in Waco. I rode the rim trail in Tahoe, and it's spectacular, but I didn't love it any more than I do here.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
there are lots of big bikes in DFW. during the summer, there is some kind of DH travel trip every month to either Ark, Co or NM.

There are rumors and approvals by the city of Benbrook (west fortworth) to build a downhill BMX track on an old soap-box-derby hill. get your 4x on without going to austin.

But if you are accustomed to DH shuttle runs everyday after work or everyweekend, that wont happen here.

1.5 hrs north of dallas is Clayton, OK. very technical DH.