Quantcast

Questions about the SixSixOne Assault Pressure Suit

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm still looking for a short sleeve armor jacket that I can put a Leatt OVER (would rather not cut up jerseys/tuck under spine guard). I absolutely need shoulder protection after multiple torn rotator cuffs/separated shoulders so the Core Saver is out. My latest idea is to get an Assault Pressure suit and just cut off enough of the back plates to fit the Leatt. My question to anyone who owns this jacket - do the shoulder pads stay reasonably in place when sliding on your shoulder? There are no straps around the arms like a Flakjacket without the elbow guards or a RF Rally jacket.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I'm still looking for a short sleeve armor jacket that I can put a Leatt OVER (would rather not cut up jerseys/tuck under spine guard). I absolutely need shoulder protection after multiple torn rotator cuffs/separated shoulders so the Core Saver is out. My latest idea is to get an Assault Pressure suit and just cut off enough of the back plates to fit the Leatt. My question to anyone who owns this jacket - do the shoulder pads stay reasonably in place when sliding on your shoulder? There are no straps around the arms like a Flakjacket without the elbow guards or a RF Rally jacket.
You really have to try one on, mine fits terribly, but that is the perils of being 6 foot, 138lbs soaking wet.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. My frame is fairly narrow for my height.

My back up plan is to get a Rockgardn Flakjacket and a Dainese back guard. I'll ditch the back slider from the Flakjacket and wear it under my jersey and place the Leatt over the jersey. For days when I'm not wearing a Camelbak I'll wear the Dainese back protector over the jersey and Leatt. Downside - expensive.

Aug 3, 2009
Bowlda
POC? You can cut the spine protector easily and the shoulder protection stays in place really well. I emailed POC about Leatt compatibility and was told that cutting the spine protector is a common practice. Don't know how tall you are, but I'm a small framed dude as well and the medium is really comfortable.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
POC? You can cut the spine protector easily and the shoulder protection stays in place really well. I emailed POC about Leatt compatibility and was told that cutting the spine protector is a common practice. Don't know how tall you are, but I'm a small framed dude as well and the medium is really comfortable.
Not a bad idea at all...

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
why doesn't 661 make the Pressure Suit series suitable to be worn with a Leatt as the Core Saver?? I don't understand seeing that people are more and more using Leatts those days...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
why doesn't 661 make the Pressure Suit series suitable to be worn with a Leatt as the Core Saver?? I don't understand seeing that people are more and more using Leatts those days...
I asked them via email this morning if there were plans to make that update and got a prompt reply back (always nice to see a company that's quick to respond to customers). It's not in the plans for 2010, but the responder stated that it wasn't a bad idea and he'd pass it to their R&D team. Chalk it up to "not anytime soon but don't write if off down the road". I asked about just cutting off the top plates and was told it was possible but they can't encourage modifications for legal reasons.

Shenzi

Chimp
Jun 26, 2008
Lake Zurich, IL
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. My frame is fairly narrow for my height.

My back up plan is to get a Rockgardn Flakjacket and a Dainese back guard. I'll ditch the back slider from the Flakjacket and wear it under my jersey and place the Leatt over the jersey. For days when I'm not wearing a Camelbak I'll wear the Dainese back protector over the jersey and Leatt. Downside - expensive.
the new Dainese Performance Armour, that will retails at $249 works with the Leatt brace too. It comes with new elasticated mesh for better venting too.

strizzle

Chimp
Nov 22, 2009
Denver, CO
I feel your pain with the shoulder problems. I have had 2 shoulder surgeries in 2 years myself. I have looked for suits with more shoulder protection a lot too, and honestly it isn't out there. All of the different brands offer some sort of shoulder pad on their suits, and none of them will really protect your shoulder from a dislocation/separation/etc(direct quote from my current physical therapist). Were talking about your whole body weight landing on your shoulder, the only pad I could see that MIGHT help would be football pads and I still hear about those guys hurting thier shoulders all the time. I don't know about you but I'm not gonna wear football pads when I bike lol. I currently wear the 661 core saver because it looks like the pads are in the right spot somewhat. I used to use the dianese armor because it looked like the shoulder pads would be perfectly positioned but you really never know where they are going to be at when you fall on your shoulder. I am gonna try and focus more on learning how to fall right so I don't land on my shoulder again but we'll see how that goes

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I feel your pain with the shoulder problems. I have had 2 shoulder surgeries in 2 years myself. I have looked for suits with more shoulder protection a lot too, and honestly it isn't out there. All of the different brands offer some sort of shoulder pad on their suits, and none of them will really protect your shoulder from a dislocation/separation/etc(direct quote from my current physical therapist). Were talking about your whole body weight landing on your shoulder, the only pad I could see that MIGHT help would be football pads and I still hear about those guys hurting thier shoulders all the time. I don't know about you but I'm not gonna wear football pads when I bike lol. I currently wear the 661 core saver because it looks like the pads are in the right spot somewhat. I used to use the dianese armor because it looked like the shoulder pads would be perfectly positioned but you really never know where they are going to be at when you fall on your shoulder. I am gonna try and focus more on learning how to fall right so I don't land on my shoulder again but we'll see how that goes

Yeah, I don't expect the should pads to help with any damage from initial impact force. On the two crashes where I did the most damage I also slid on my shoulder after the crash. That's where I'm hoping the pads will help, minimizing damage after the initial impact. I just got a FlakJacket this week. The shoulder cups feel a little small, but it seems like the adjustment straps will let me keep the pads over the shoulder well in a crash. I wish the whole thing wasn't so bulky, but like you said our options are limited. Maybe its time I quit my job and started an armor company.

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
Yeah...I'm dealing with a totally ef'd up rotator cuff right now...

The only p.suit I've found with decent shoulder/collar bone protection is the EVS Ballistice Jersey but you'd have a tough time fitting a Leatt to it...unless you stuck it inside the suit?

Tried to post a pic from "photobucket" but it won't show up???

The 661 evo suit looks nice and streamlined...but once again...very little shoulder/collar bone protection?!?!? WTF?!?!?

Why doesn't Leatt just make a suit for their brace??? These companies are so annoying...

EVS won't even guarantee that their neck brace will be compatible with their own p.suit??? They said "60% of riders" can get it under the p.suit (ballistic jersey) !?!?!?

Too bad the Core Saver...a dedicated neck brace suit...is nearly useless in a serious crash!?!? nothing on the shoulders!?!?!? just that stupid 661 breast plate??? and back guard...

The EVS is the best suit I've ever used. Kinda bulky, but it's like wearing your own little plastic building when you crash...had to cut the arms off tho...they didn't line up well...

I've got a large for sale now...I went to medium for a tighter fit.

Last edited: