Quantcast

Questions for DW

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
Hey DW!! (or anyone else I guess)
I am heading to college soon and am looking into an education that will put me in a good place in the bike industry. I am interested in both the business side of the industry but more so the design/build side. I was wondering what classes you took during college, what was your major, etc. I am asking you specifically because I definitely look up to you a lot, and I know you are the best at what you do, but if anyone else can help me here that would be cool, too. Thanks!

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
i think MX has more money... and you just dont get a job like that, its a process id bet. my .02

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
I don't really care about money, to be honest. I just want to know what classes I should take in order to become valuable in the industry, and maybe some day start my own company.

T-Blazer

Monkey
Jun 8, 2004
rochester,ny
a good business backgound as well as a design/engineer background is a good collegete base. I would look into all avenues because if your going into the "industry" takes along time and sucky wages and then you might break into a decent career. I look at it like a pro football career , hundreds of thousands start going after a few jobs. its also good to have a industry ties. good luck

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
thanks for the responses t-blazer, I am just wondering what classes in the design/engineering field I should look into.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
PooMan said:
thanks for the responses t-blazer, I am just wondering what classes in the design/engineering field I should look into.
Incidentally, if you're looking for DW's opinion you may do better to post in the DH forum or PM him.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I wish I could work in the bicycle industry, however I have found that getting your foot in the door is very hard!
I have a business degree from a small prestigous private college,
I spend the majority of my free time on all things bicycle related
I currently have (and have held since graduateing in 2001) a very good job managing the delivery department for a distribution company.
I have applied or sent resumes to many major bicycle companies
I have received 0 replies. :nuts:
Ohwell, I guess I'll spend my money in the bicycle industry, instead of making it in the industry. :mad:

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
stoney98 said:
I have mad connections within certain sectors of the bike industry. I've gotten one call back, and that was only because my buddy hand delivered the resume, AND he was the one who got to make the final call on hiring for said spot. I didn't take it because I had gotten an offer in the financial industry. WAY more money there. WAY more money.
curious, whats the state in the financial industry in the states?

or in other words, what are the chances of a guy with a UK phd from a top10 uni?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
PooMan said:
I don't really care about money, to be honest. I just want to know what classes I should take in order to become valuable in the industry, and maybe some day start my own company.

You'll need to take every structural engineering class you can, statics, mechanics and dynamics, along with every materials science class including plastics and composites, lots of kinematics, fluids, optomizations, definately get comfortable with CAD and FEA, welding and machining from a JC would be helpful, maybe some of the industrial arts courses, you need to be a jack of all trades it seems, and near brilliant to succeede.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
stoney98 said:
I have mad connections within certain sectors of the bike industry. I've gotten one call back, and that was only because my buddy hand delivered the resume, AND he was the one who got to make the final call on hiring for said spot. I didn't take it because I had gotten an offer in the financial industry. WAY more money there. WAY more money.

And you still claim to be poor. ;)

You gonna get your butt down here to rip some Telonics?