Quantcast

questions: fox dhx5

wil_e123

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
London, England
hey all,

i own a 2006 sunday team and the 5th element shock that's on there really sux IMO, and i'd like to get rid of it and put on a dhx5.

i heard that if you want to put a dhx on a sunday, you need a specially valved one in order for it to function at its best, is that true?

also, if i had to buy a dhx, what spring weight would be recommended considering i weigh 165lbs.

this is kinda urgent since i have someone ready to buy my 5th...

thx in advance, wil

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Well, the only shock I know of that had custom valving from the factory for a Sunday was the 5th Element... which is what you already have.

The DHX 5.0 is pretty easy to tune on a Sunday - the DW-Link pedals very efficiently so I run my DHX with 1 or 2 click of Pro-Pedal but that's it - I've never needed more than that for track conditions.

You and I weight exactly the same, so a 300 lbs. steel spring will suit you just fine - it's what I use.

wil_e123

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
London, England
dang, i was planning to buy a dhx from ebay, which obviously isn't tuned for the sunday...would it be possible for me to buy the shock on ebay and send it off to the closest suspension center (i know of one near where i live) and ask them to do it for me? would they accept it, full knowing that i didn't buy the shock from them?

would there be a considerable efficiency loss if i didn't get it specially valved?

thanks skc and cbj for the advice so far!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
If you are hating the fifth, my guess is that it is not valved properly for the Sunday. Seems as if there were lots (if not all) of incorrect fifths that made it onto the sundays. If you ran a stock DHX, it might be slightly over damped for the sunday. But the stock damping of the DHX is far less than the fifth.

I think acadian was running a sunday with a stock DHX and said it was much better than the fifth. Do a search for his posts, he had some set up advice IIRC.

EDIT read here http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142666&page=4&highlight=sunday+DHX

I guess he does not say specifically if the DHX had a non-stock set up...

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
DO A SEARCH!!! There are way too many threads about this already.

If your frame is an '05, you will need a new lower link to clear the resi.
If your frame is an '05, your 5th is most likely not valved right.
If you get a Fox, it will need to be custom valved or it will ride too stiff.
I have a Roco, which did not need re-valving, or a new link. I had to remove the comp adjuster, and very slight shaving off the head to clear the upper link.

Stock spring with the 5th is 275#. If you switch to a dhx or roco you will need around 25# more spring. How much do you weigh?

Do a search. All this info is readily available.

*edit* I just noticed you already said you have an '06...

marra

Chimp
Apr 22, 2005
at 165lbs your bike should be bottoming often i think

i have a 06 sunday and i'm 155lbs with a 300lbs spring and it's very soft. what's your exact tuning

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
There was a spring weight table somwhere on RM. Don't have time to search.

But, I remember the designed weight was around 160-165lbs. That was for a 275lb spring on the 5th/swinger or a 300 on a fox (or non-platform shock).

I'm 185 and run a 350.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
If you get a Fox, it will need to be custom valved or it will ride too stiff.
Is this quoted from ironhorse directly? I can't really see why you would need to revalve a DHX as they are not very heavily compression damped, especially once you have backed the propedal all the way off.

To the thread starter, IMO you would be just fine with grabbing the correct sized DHX off ebay and running it. You shouldn't need to get it retuned or revalved, i'd just run it as is first and see how you go with an adequately soft spring and the propedal backed off all or most of the way.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
NO you must get it revalved or it will feel like **** end of story.
the iron horse uses 1/3rd of the compression damping of other frames.

so you need to have the shock valved correctly or it will be spiking and not using all of the travel.

i would just pick up a cheap dhx and get it pushed

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili

so you need to have the shock valved correctly or it will be spiking and not using all of the travel.

it wont spike, maybe feel a bit harsh, but spiking wont happen especially at the low shaft velocities the leverage ratio of a sunday imply.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
does the material of your spring (Ti or Steel) make a difference in the weight you buy?

Just curious...

No, no, and no. Spring coefficient is spring coefficient. Does not matter (in any way that you or I can tell) if the spring is made of steel, ti, plastic, banana, whatever. It is all the same.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Where do you come up with this stuff? Do you know how damping is quantified and measured? What are the units? Spiking has nothing to do with increased damping. It is flow restriction, ususally through a fixed orifice, caused by fluid dynamics. Can you even explain why the Sunday would need a different damping rate/curve?

Just a little FYI: Leverage ratio is the largest determinate of damping.
The average leverage ratio of the Sunday is 2.66. The ratio of a DHR, for examle is 2.83. That is about a 6% change.

I am sure that you heard this somewhere (most likely here) but that does not make this correct. Please so dome research before repeating 'rumor' as 'fact'.

wil_e123

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
London, England
let's say i did get the dhx, i wouldn't ahve enough money to get it Push'd straight away, would i risk damaging it in any way if i rode my bike with it?

i live in europe and getting the PUSH technology costs f-loads (130gbp!!) so that'll have to wait...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
let's say i did get the dhx, i wouldn't ahve enough money to get it Push'd straight away, would i risk damaging it in any way if i rode my bike with it?

i live in europe and getting the PUSH technology costs f-loads (130gbp!!) so that'll have to wait...
You will not damage anything at all. Just run the air pressure at the lower end of the range (about 100psi) and adjust the pro-pedal to 'off', that way you will have the minimal compression damping.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Okay, here it goes:

You will not damage anything at all. Just run the air pressure at the lower end of the range (about 100psi) and adjust the pro-pedal to 'off', that way you will have the minimal compression damping.
No, you won't damage anything but you will not be utilizing your super high-tech suspension to it's potential. And the boost valve isn't exactly compression, so running it at a low psi will most likely not have the desired affect.

Is this quoted from ironhorse directly? I can't really see why you would need to revalve a DHX as they are not very heavily compression damped, especially once you have backed the propedal all the way off.
The info I, and others are reciting is mostly straight from dw (on this forum). dw is the "dw" in "dw-link".

Essentially, the way the dw-link is supposed to work is that it doesn't react to rider induced movement like others (turner) and doesn't need the extra compression.

I'm not reciting jargon. I own one of these bikes. Had the stock 5th, had it re-valved, and noticed the difference. I now run a Roco, which is known for having the most open compression of any shock on the market. I run the compression all the way open and the bike is dialed.

I am sure that you heard this somewhere (most likely here) but that does not make this correct. Please so dome research before repeating 'rumor' as 'fact'.
Research? Use the search function and do your own. Or ask acadian, skatodd, dw or call IH yourself before you decide what is 'rumor'.

No, no, and no. Spring coefficient is spring coefficient. Does not matter (in any way that you or I can tell) if the spring is made of steel, ti, plastic, banana, whatever. It is all the same.
Where can I get a banana spring? Please?