Quantcast

Questions from a newb

I picked up a new mountain bike and gear on Saturday and wonder what you folks would recommend that I concentrate on learning as someone new to the sport. I have a Hardrock Sport Disc that is stock except for clipless pedals. I've been riding a trail system that is about 5 minutes from my house that is mostly single track, with slight elevation changes and a few technical areas just trying to develop a feel for the bike. I'm in decent shape but can certainly use some work, which is one of the main reasons I decided to buy the bike.

So, what aspects of riding should I be working on as a beginner? What tips do you have to help improve riding technique? What upgrades would you recommend for improving the rideability of the Hardrock? I have decent riding gear (riding shoes, helmet, gloves, tights, camelback, etc.) but is there anything in particular that you've found that makes riding more comfortable?

Basically, any advice that you would give to a newb is appreciated.

Mike

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
As a beginner, the most important thing is that you have fun. OK, so that goes for everyone, not just beginners, but...

In terms of skills and such, just go ride. The more you ride the better your conditioning will get. You will also get to know the bike... how it handles, how it responds to different terrain, etc. Knowing your bike will allow you to be a better rider as you will only be fighting the trail, not the bike too.

The more you ride the better you'll get at shifting your weight. That will be key to keeping the bike under you.

At this point I wouldn't worry about things like cadence and whatnot... just go ride and have fun. As a beginner, you can't help but get better.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I'd suggest just doing wheelies as much as you can. They teach you all kinds of stuff about brake control, balance, body position, etc, and can be done anywhere.

Other than that, it depends on what type of riding you're planning on doing. If you're going to stick to mainly recreational XC/trail riding, then jacksonpt has the best advice: just have fun (and throw in a wheelie every now and then).

If you're planning on getting into DH or XC racing, that's a whole 'nother bottle to uncork.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Radarr said:
I'd suggest just doing wheelies as much as you can. They teach you all kinds of stuff about brake control, balance, body position, etc, and can be done anywhere.

Other than that, it depends on what type of riding you're planning on doing. If you're going to stick to mainly recreational XC/trail riding, then jacksonpt has the best advice: just have fun (and throw in a wheelie every now and then).

If you're planning on getting into DH or XC racing, that's a whole 'nother bottle to uncork.
:stupid:

Track stands are valuable to learn as well.

http://www.hansrey.com/lessons/trackstand.htm

So, taking a bit from each of you, I need to put miles on the bike, learn to control my balance, learn to do track stands for control, and don't ride with Stinky because he....um....smells.

Thanks for the advice so far. I've been putting time in on the bike that's for sure. I've ridden just about everyday on the local trails at Beaver Lake. I've also done a couple of harder rides including one today that had a good mix of technical stuff, climbs (legs are rubbery as I type), and downhill. I'm fortunate that I've found a good group to ride with, including the LBS owner where I bought my bike. I've gotten good tips and the shop owner has been helping me get the bike setup dialed in. Everytime something pops or slips he's there to tighten this or adjust that. My brakes are finally getting broken is as well so that they're not noisy anymore and provide good power and feel.

I am also very happy with the bike but I am interested in making changes that will provide weight savings and improve reliability\rideability. Taking a look at the specs what would you recommend as possible areas for upgrading. I'm not looking for bling, I want to make changes that will help me to go. My first thoughts are to replace the rims to cut down on weight\rotating mass. What would you do?

Thanks again for the tips and please keep them coming.

Mike