Quantcast

Questions

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
OK, so I haven't been here for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. Sorry, but sometimes life intrudes and keeps me from that which is truly important.

Anyway, I will be in San Francisco for 4 nights(days spent conferring with my fellow wizards) starting Saturday and I NEED to know 3 things: Where will I find: 1. THE best martini? 2. THE best pint? 3. THE best burger or pubfare?

Thanks,
The Cheese

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Go the The Zeitgeist on Valencia and Duboce. Can't say it is the best pint or burger (and you will be beaten for asking for a martini), but it is a biker haven. Usually there are bikes everywhere in the back and it is a cool place whether you ride or not.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ever been to IN and OUT? If not just go there just to have a burger it's worth it!!!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SuzyCreamcheese said:
1. THE best martini? 2. THE best pint? 3. THE best burger or pubfare?

Thanks,
The Cheese

1) I had a pretty damn good martini at the Red Room on Sutter.

2) There are a bazillion pints in SF. THE best? Anywhere with a clean glass and Guinness on tap.

3) Barney's. http://www.barneysrestaurant.com/

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
sanjuro said:
Go the The Zeitgeist on Valencia and Duboce. Can't say it is the best pint or burger (and you will be beaten for asking for a martini), but it is a biker haven. Usually there are bikes everywhere in the back and it is a cool place whether you ride or not.
You'll also be beaten if you don't have at least one full sleeve tattoo.

:cool:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
dh girlie said:
I know...I think he's trying to set her up...in and out burger...it's OK...it's just fast food...

When I lived in Ventura back in the 80's, it was cool to get In & Out Burger bumper stickers and modify them and slap them on your read window along with your HOT sticker...

:p

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
dh girlie said:
Too bad Clown Alley on Lombard ain't dere anymore...their burgers ROCKED...although...the was some pretty scurrry clown stuff about the place!
Clowns scare me. That's why I'm an insomniac.

The Cheese

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SuzyCreamcheese said:
Clowns scare me. That's why I'm an insomniac.

The Cheese
No sh*T! Don't EVEN go to sleep! Clowns are just watching and waiting for you to doze off.

Then WHAMMO! They get you with those clown-claws.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
SuzyCreamcheese said:
I NEED to know 3 things:
Where will I find:
1. THE best martini?
2. THE best pint?
3. THE best burger or pubfare?

Thanks,
The Cheese
:thumb:

A woman that has a good handle on her priorities.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
H8R said:
You'll also be beaten if you don't have at least one full sleeve tattoo.

:cool:
That is the perception but I do not even have one piercing. I noticed there is a 60/40 split between the freaks and the regular people.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
sanjuro said:
That is the perception but I do not even have one piercing. I noticed there is a 60/40 split between the freaks and the regular people.

..which ain't telling us much since the place is in SanFran... :p

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You are after my heart with this list!!

If you go to the Toronado on a Tuesday, you can get the best pints AND the best burger, you just need to go next door to Rosamunde for the burger, then bring it back to the T and chow down. Rosamunde is usually a sausage grill (and awesome too), but on Tuesday's they turn out some legendary burgers.

As for martinis, if you want high brow, I suggest Bix (best in town, hands down), Zuni Cafe, the Redwood Room, or (for a lame crowd with awesome views of the city) Harry Denton's Starlight Room at the top of the Sir Francis Drake Hotel in Union Square.

If you want low brow, hit up Aub Zam Zam in the upper Haight. The place is legendary for the prior (now deceased) owner. Dude would only open on random nights and was crusty as hell, would refuse service to people for no reason, serve you a martini no matter what you order, etc. One time I went in and, seeing the sapphire on the shelf, asked for a sapphire martini. Dude looks at me and says "No!" So I say, "ok what do you recommend?" He says "I'm not gonna sell you a $12 martini, I'm gonna sell you a $6 martini!!" With that he proceeded to make me a perfect icy martini with some bucket swill he was hiding under the bar. And damn if it wasn't fantastic! He's gone but the place is still pretty cool.

Damn I'm thirsty now...

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
As I sit here sipping the morning brew, I remembered that I didn't ask another very important question.....where can I get a decent cuppa joe in the morning? Somewhere within stumbling distance to the Marriott and not Starbux, either.

The Cheese

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
SuzyCreamcheese said:
As I sit here sipping the morning brew, I remembered that I didn't ask another very important question.....where can I get a decent cuppa joe in the morning? Somewhere within stumbling distance to the Marriott and not Starbux, either.

The Cheese

Coffee too... oh man................ :heart:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I Are Baboon said:
Thanks for the link. I will be in SF for a week in September and I will check that place out. Do they serve pub fare, or is it strictly a bar (I see no mention of food on the website)?

Answers here:
If you go to the Toronado on a Tuesday, you can get the best pints AND the best burger, you just need to go next door to Rosamunde for the burger, then bring it back to the T and chow down. Rosamunde is usually a sausage grill (and awesome too), but on Tuesday's they turn out some legendary burgers.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
SuzyCreamcheese said:
The one on 4th St.

The Cheese
Cool, I'm staying at that one too. There is a killer diner across the street that makes some awesome ham and eggs. :drool: Good coffee too, as diner coffee goes. Just what the doctor ordered after a night of free drinking (I love these work conferences :D ).

I booked my flight today. :dancing:

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
I Are Baboon said:
Cool, I'm staying at that one too. There is a killer diner across the street that makes some awesome ham and eggs. :drool: Good coffee too, as diner coffee goes. Just what the doctor ordered after a night of free drinking (I love these work conferences :D ).

I booked my flight today. :dancing:
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeexcellent! I'll look for that one. Yes, expenses paid is always the best especially in a place like San Francisco! Do you look for conferences in cool places? I do. I'll even skip over a conference that might be decent if it's in someplace boring.

The Cheese

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
SuzyCreamcheese said:
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeexcellent! I'll look for that one. Yes, expenses paid is always the best especially in a place like San Francisco! Do you look for conferences in cool places? I do. I'll even skip over a conference that might be decent if it's in someplace boring.

The Cheese
I go to the same two conferences every year. The San Fran one happened to have been in San Fran last year as well. It'd be nice to have a change of scenery, but I do get to go to a conference in Las Vegas in October (I've never been there). :cool:

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
:D
N8 said:
When I lived in Ventura back in the 80's, it was cool to get In & Out Burger bumper stickers and modify them and slap them on your read window along with your HOT sticker...

:p
Oh lemme guess...you'd modify your in and out burger sticker to say...IN AND OUT URGE...you wanted people to think you were actually scoring...it was a known fact that people who put modified in and out burger stickers on their cars were not getting any...or fooling anyone into thinking they were. :D

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
dh girlie said:
:D

Oh lemme guess...you'd modify your in and out burger sticker to say...IN AND OUT URGE...you wanted people to think you were actually scoring...it was a known fact that people who put modified in and out burger stickers on their cars were not getting any...or fooling anyone into thinking they were. :D

That'd be it... :p