Quantcast

Questions

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Now that's funny. Come to think of it, the Toronado can be something of a sausage fest...naah, just kidding. Everyone's welcome but definitely not a gay bar. :p

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Actually, you will be close to Thirsty Bear, which is a huge brew pub with food (spanish tapas last I was there). The crowd is hit or miss but the beer and food are both pretty good and it's about a block away from your hotel. And you can get a pretty good martini across the street in the bar at the W hotel - where, again, the crowd is hit or miss, but usually entertaining one way or another. Or there are about sixty places in the mission, and good food too...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was just busting too. Actually the closest bar to my house is a lesbian bar, Wild Side West. I like the place except for too much estrogen during the Friday Happy Hour.

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
OGRipper said:
Actually, you will be close to Thirsty Bear, which is a huge brew pub with food (spanish tapas last I was there). The crowd is hit or miss but the beer and food are both pretty good and it's about a block away from your hotel. And you can get a pretty good martini across the street in the bar at the W hotel - where, again, the crowd is hit or miss, but usually entertaining one way or another. Or there are about sixty places in the mission, and good food too...
I've actually been to the Thirsty Bear and liked it. Who would have guessed that a brew pub would be serving tapas. I'm just looking for something different this time. Also, the last time I was there we went to the Orbit Room for martinis and those were quite good too.

The Cheese

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
OGRipper said:
Oh...W is S-W-A-N-K-Y....I felt like the biggest tool walking in there for an overnight stay with a Fox duffle bag...I was like grrreaaaatttt...I forgot to wear black and pack my prada overnight bag for that one...but hot damn that place is ULTRA swanky...the next time I stayed I made sure I dressed up in swanky black attire and wore some dark channel shades for the check in...:D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dh girlie said:
Oh...W is S-W-A-N-K-Y....I felt like the biggest tool walking in there for an overnight stay with a Fox duffle bag...I was like grrreaaaatttt...I forgot to wear black and pack my prada overnight bag for that one...but hot damn that place is ULTRA swanky...the next time I stayed I made sure I dressed up in swanky black attire and wore some dark channel shades for the check in...:D
I have checked into some of the nicest hotels looking like a complete dirtbag. My favorite was after a week backpacking driving to Philly to see a gband. Dressed just as I had left the trailhead, with a large backpack and unshowered for the previous 5 days.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i was at the swankiest hotel i've ever been in, for a work-related conference. after it was over, i had a couple of days to kill in berlin, so i'd hit the streets in my long shorts, black hoodie, and messenger bag and scout around town. i realized i left my phone (which doubles as a watch) in my room so i quickly went back in to get it. a doorman stopped me and asked if he could help me (aka, get yr grimy unwashed arse out of our upscale establishment). i flashed my room key and told him i forgot something in my room. :p

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
how channels do you get w/ those shades? :D
Doh! AHAHAHAHAHA! Oops...well, you blew my cover...I own no CHANEL...no PRADA...but I did have this Guess? backpack that some woman mistook for a Prada bag...probably the type of woman who would spend what I would spend on a bike on a freakin purse...

the rest of the story is true, though...about feelin like a tool goin into W dressed very casual...everyone was dressed in black...and all the dudes who worked there were metro sexual...NTTAWWT!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Westy said:
I have checked into some of the nicest hotels looking like a complete dirtbag. My favorite was after a week backpacking driving to Philly to see a gband. Dressed just as I had left the trailhead, with a large backpack and unshowered for the previous 5 days.
Well, that is just nasty...no shower for 5 days...gross.

Next time I stayed there, I made sure I hid my coors light in my bag and dressed properly!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
i was at the swankiest hotel i've ever been in, for a work-related conference. after it was over, i had a couple of days to kill in berlin, so i'd hit the streets in my long shorts, black hoodie, and messenger bag and scout around town. i realized i left my phone (which doubles as a watch) in my room so i quickly went back in to get it. a doorman stopped me and asked if he could help me (aka, get yr grimy unwashed arse out of our upscale establishment). i flashed my room key and told him i forgot something in my room. :p

Hmmm...not sure if I would categorize that as SWANKY...I think I'd categorize that more as 'upscale...fancy...classy...rich' With liveried, speaking with an accent bellman, butlers and valets as opposed to 'W's black clad metro sexuals! :D

Speaking of swanky hotels...I'll be staying at the new Wynn in Vegas for my bday...looks pretty swanky.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dh girlie said:
Well, that is just nasty...no shower for 5 days...gross.

Next time I stayed there, I made sure I hid my coors light in my bag and dressed properly!
Well it is hard to find a shower on a trail miles from civilization. A facecloth soaked in rubbing alcohol keeps the stink down though. Despite being dirty I certainly was carrying much better beverages than coors light.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
dh girlie said:
Hmmm...not sure if I would categorize that as SWANKY...I think I'd categorize that more as 'upscale...fancy...classy...rich' With liveried, speaking with an accent bellman, butlers and valets as opposed to 'W's black clad metro sexuals! :D.
Yeah the W bar is really hit or miss for me, I've had some good times there but also many of those "Lord help me I'm surrounded by too many underage, overdressed, plastic reality-show wannabes" moments. The people watching is almost always entertaining but it depends on your mood!

I hate snobbishism and sometimes purposefully dress down when going somewhere swank. I have little tolarance for people who judge by the cover, especially if I'm contributing to their compensation.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
OGRipper said:
Yeah the W bar is really hit or miss for me, I've had some good times there but also many of those "Lord help me I'm surrounded by too many underage, overdressed, plastic reality-show wannabes" moments. The people watching is almost always entertaining but it depends on your mood!

I hate snobbishism and sometimes purposefully dress down when going somewhere swank. I have little tolarance for people who judge by the cover, especially if I'm contributing to their compensation.
I've only stopped in the bar a few times...I like staying there at the hotel ...soooo swanky!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dh girlie said:
Hmmm...not sure if I would categorize that as SWANKY...I think I'd categorize that more as 'upscale...fancy...classy...rich' With liveried, speaking with an accent bellman, butlers and valets as opposed to 'W's black clad metro sexuals! :D
yeah, by swanky i meant ultra-deluxe/big cartloads of $$$ to stay kind of place. a place i'd never book on my own credit card.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dh girlie said:
You probably reeked...and yes, yes...I'm sure you had some overpriced ale handy! :D
The rubbing alcohol spunge baths really do stop the BO. It is very hard to keep the fingernails clean without a good scrubbing with a bar of soap though.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Westy said:
The rubbing alcohol spunge baths really do stop the BO. It is very hard to keep the fingernails clean without a good scrubbing with a bar of soap though.
Man...I need to be near a shower at least once a day...specially after riding or doing something physical...I've been ok without a hayer dryer and flat iron...since the slicked back low pony tail has come into fashion, but I go no where without my mascara and lip gloss! hahahaha! :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dh girlie said:
Yeah it looked very regal and elegant...what was it a night to stay there? Rooms at W are bank, but you can usually find a good rate on the INTARDWEB...
i can't recall, but i think it was something like 340 euro (over $400!) a night. the breakfast alone was like 27 euro (but it was quite a spread...tons of meats, cheeses, pastries, fruit; eggs any style you want w/ bacon & sausage; at least 6 different fresh-squeezed juices; cold fish if you are into that sort of thing, and germans are; etc).

what's a W room go for?

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
Probably the swankiest place I've stayed is the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego. They had given away my RESERVED room, so I got upgraded. I had an ocean view that was amazing.

Last time I was in San Francisco I stayed at The Palace Hotel, which was pretty swank, too. Gotta love the expense account.

The Cheese

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
$200 a night isn't bad, but not something i'd relish paying for personally. the hotels do look great though; some people in my group stayed at the NYC one a few weeks ago for a conference.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)