Quantcast

Quick advice needed

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
I want to upgrade bikes from my current '08 Rockhopper comp disc to something with more travel, better brakes and durability for all mountain/light downhill riding. I'm 6'8" and 270lbs, not fat just big. No, really.

I've found a 2009 Giant Trance X2 for sale locally and can't find anywhere if it's All Mountain enough for what I do. Think 1-2' drops, rock gardens, increasingly sketchy lines and the like; but I also need something that can climb. It looks to be in very good condition and I can get it for at least half what it would cost new. But, if it's not the right bike, I'm going to pass. What do you think?

FWIW: If I were to go new, I'd be looking at Giant Reign, Specialized Pitch or similar. Never tried a 29er but I can demo one for $100 at local dealership if it's THAT good, but the money goes towards purchase of new ride. Also, Rockhopper will be kept for city/bike path cruiser.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Damn you're tall. I bet finding a bike that fits (especially used) is a challenge. The trance is a trail bike and would work for most people for what you want to do. But at 270 I'd try to find something more overbuilt... an actual All mountain bike with a coil shock.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
Thanks for the response man, I ended up bailing on the trance for that reason. I'm surprised my rock hopper has gone this long and is still kicking! I'm looking for an XL sized (very) AM or FR/DH bike I can screw with to make a little nicer for climbing. If anyone's reading this and has an idea or two, I'm all ears!

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
still haven't heard/seen anything from huck bonzai... if you see this, I'd love to talk about your bike, I think it would be a good fit for me! Anyone know of a good choice? Specifically something overbuilt (can be heavy side of things) with huge geometry for giants with 4-6" travel? My budget is about $2k, but i could go up if it's needed. again, I'm looking for something that will be doing about 75% trail riding with small drops, climbing and rock gardens at speed and about 25% lift served, non-bombing (but quick) downhill. I'm just not too farmiliar with bikes and how different geometry feels as I've really only ridden a handful of them.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
So too re-visit this thread, I'm just about to pull the trigger. I looked at Huck's VPfree but it seems to be a little more downhill than I'm looking for so I'm going to pass.

I have a lead on a 2010 Pitch Pro for $1500 in my size. Looks like it's hardly been ridden from the pics ive seen, but its about 4 hours away. I drive a Jeep so factor in $80-$100 in gas.

I can also buy a 2012 reign 2 for $2165, and the dealer is going to get a low volume rear shock from the factory for my weight, help me set up forks/shocks for my weight and unlimited tunes for the first year. They're a great shop, I love the lifetime warranty on the frame that will come with buying the new bike and support on adjusting suspension for me but that extra $700 is steep for something I'm going to run into trees. Is the warranty/LBS support worth it?

I'm only asking because I've never bought a real high end bike before, don't make a ton of money and I'm not sure if buying new is actually worth that extra cash. I can afford either option at this point, but $700 is $700. I plan to keep and ride this bike for AT LEAST three seasons as my primary bike. Most likely longer. I know this thread is lame, but it's a tough decision. I really appreciate any input you guys have, I really don't know anyone with high end bike experience.