Quantcast

Quick Question about iTunes/Computers

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
My computer has basically crashed and I need to do a factory reset with the system discs that came with it. The only stuff that I couldnt get off was my 10gig music library in iTunes. All of the music is currently on my iPod, what I need to know is can I transfer it all back onto the iPod after I reset my computer. I am unfimilar with how iTunes works, Ive only had it and the iPod for about a year, and before I had a sony MP3 player and their programming did not let you transfer music from the player to the computer, but can I do this with the iPod?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Curb Hucker said:
My computer has basically crashed and I need to do a factory reset with the system discs that came with it. The only stuff that I couldnt get off was my 10gig music library in iTunes. All of the music is currently on my iPod, what I need to know is can I transfer it all back onto the iPod after I reset my computer. I am unfimilar with how iTunes works, Ive only had it and the iPod for about a year, and before I had a sony MP3 player and their programming did not let you transfer music from the player to the computer, but can I do this with the iPod?
Do you mean, can you transfer the music from the iPod back to the computer after you have fixed it??

I know that the 5th gen iPod (Mine...) can do a file transfer from iPod to computer. Whether that includes the music files, I do not know.

Check apple.com, it might be a little convoluted, but you should be able to get a definite answer for your specific generational model....

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Secret Squirrel said:
Do you mean, can you transfer the music from the iPod back to the computer after you have fixed it??

I know that the 5th gen iPod (Mine...) can do a file transfer from iPod to computer. Whether that includes the music files, I do not know.

Check apple.com, it might be a little convoluted, but you should be able to get a definite answer for your specific generational model....
I highly doubt the apple website would be of any help to him. This is exactly what they DON'T want people doing.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Go to versiontracker.com for a utility or two. It may be a pain because iTunes saves songs with weird naming conventions that aren't your song names. I tried to rip a buddies iPod last week, and said screw it after I couldn't recognize what I was rippin...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
dfinn said:
I highly doubt the apple website would be of any help to him. This is exactly what they DON'T want people doing.
Mmmmm....good point...I took a look at my manual (I know, what the hell am I still doing with an instruction book....) and noticed that it explicitly said that it was for files only....no music transfers... That's all I got. Good luck.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I had to do this recently, too. I found some info by searching ilounge.com. I was able to follow some step-by-step instruction in one of their forums without the addition of any other software. (It didn't keep any ratings or folders, though). It transferred all the music without any problems. If you have touble, PM me and I can probably dig up the thread where I got the info.

toby

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stinkyboy said:
Go to versiontracker.com for a utility or two. It may be a pain because iTunes saves songs with weird naming conventions that aren't your song names. I tried to rip a buddies iPod last week, and said screw it after I couldn't recognize what I was rippin...
if the tags were OK though, it's easy enough to use a utility such as Tag & Rename to create filenames from ID tags.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
AFAIK officially youre not allowed to copy youre music from iPod to computer.

However, if youre on a PC, and turn show hidden files, youll see that youre music library is stored in these hidden folders, a bit jumbled up and file names cut but its all there.

Or the simpleset way, would be to get ephpod and that will export youre music library from your iPod to your PC, sorting and naming everything