Quantcast

Quick Question... Bars & Stem

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Will a BMX stem (22.2 mm) work on 25.4 mm mtb bars??? Assuming the stem is a clamp on style over the bars (i.e. not the Ody Elemental). It's only 3 mm diff, it should still clamp on right??? Anybody tried this?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Atom Lab makes an adapter but it isn't listed on their new website. Give them a call.
Yeah, but I think that is for the other way around. Making 22.2 bars fit in a 25.4 stem. I want to know if the opposite will work... 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem. Thanks for the quick response, though.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Yeah, but I think that is for the other way around. Making 22.2 bars fit in a 25.4 stem. I want to know if the opposite will work... 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem. Thanks for the quick response, though.
Whoops, read that one wrong!

Sorry!

I would imagine the 24.2 bars wouldn't fit into the stem because the radius'es are different.

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
I use 22.2 mm bars on a 25.4mm stem, you just have to use shims, I had 2 that came with my gusset prison bar, never had a problem with the handlebar slipping or other problems like that

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Why don't you use a bar w/ 22.2mm OD?

I might have something next week if you are interested.
Well, too late. I was looking to use a bmx stem with a light 3" rise bar. Couldn't find much, so I ended up with the chase 3" and sic stem... they've got a great deal goin on over at ride-this. 80 bones for the bars and stem.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
Well, too late. I was looking to use a bmx stem with a light 3" rise bar. Couldn't find much, so I ended up with the chase 3" and sic stem... they've got a great deal goin on over at ride-this. 80 bones for the bars and stem.
youll love the chases.. feels like an old school bmx bar. flat with more back sweep..

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Whatchya gonna have next week, Don? My lil bro needs some something to hang on to for his Mob...
I had a few pairs of 4130 bars made - 2.75" rise, 26" wide, .065 wall. The only thing is they messed up the backsweep. I wanted 10 deg and they came out just over 6. I had no upsweep spec'd. They feel pretty good and don't look or feel crazy tall.

They're getting PC'd this week and once I get them back I'll take some pics.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
you can do that, but you need a set of shims to fit on the clamping area ffor the bars to work. thei about $2 and most lbs's have them readily availible.