Quantcast

quick question for a visitor?

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
I am planning a trip for next spring and I am curious about the southern part of the state?We are planning on spending a little time at the grand canyon and then back up to CO.Is it just as nice down towards the border or do you need to be a little more north towards Denver?I want to some nice xc trails,hiking,hopefully some dirtbiking,and oh yeah family stuff.....any help would be appreciated.I am going to try and find some info on google and such but I figured this would be a good start..

Aug 31, 2006
It's very nice down in southern CO.

Just a warning tho, Souther CO + North Rim of Grand Canyon, cool. The drive around from the south is fvcking long and boring. Not like driving through Kansas or Nebraska boring, but still.

If you have the time, visit Flagstaff + South Rim, hike into the canyon. Ranger station is a day hike. If you're not a regular hiker, do not go further than the station unless you're prepared to camp the night.

Then swing around it to the west, hit Vegas for a night -- shower, party. Hit Zion National Park is SW Utah, Moab, then onto S.CO, Durango, Telluride.

Man, awesome trip. Did it twice, would do it twice more.

Takes at least two weeks tho.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
This is going to take some planning I see...I am going to stay at least ten days...I would rather stay in CO. and maybe Utah but the wife wants to go to the grand canyon for a couple days so to the canyon we go...We were in Arizona last year and did not make it that far north...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
This is going to take some planning I see...I am going to stay at least ten days...I would rather stay in CO. and maybe Utah but the wife wants to go to the grand canyon for a couple days so to the canyon we go...We were in Arizona last year and did not make it that far north...
You gotta go to the Grand Canyon. It's spectacular. North Rim is nicer than the South. I'd second the advice to hit Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef while you're there.

And Rocky Mountain National Park is nowhere near the south part of the state.

Aug 31, 2006
Rocky mountain national park up near Estes Park, watch out fer them elk though, they smell!
holy crap. When did Estes & RMNP move to southern Colorado?

As for what the wife wants to do... not only should you go to the GC for her, but for you too. It's one of those "must see" in your lifetime.

While I agree that the North Rim is nicer -- prettier views, neater camp sites, friendly little restuarants in the middle of no where -- the south Rim has more of those "holy crap, look at that view!" views. Plus, The Trail -- Bright Angel -- has multiple water stations on the hike (call in advance, they turn it off in the winter... and some into Spring).