Quantcast

quick question for you teacher/ TA types...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
if an assignment doesn't specify single or double-spaced, am i to assume double spaced?

everything we've put together during the semester has been double-spaced, but an example she handed out the other day was single spaced. the example was of an annotated bibliography, which is only a part of the project (the other part is 3 different 2-page papers discussing our research). not sure why this never occured to me until i was trying to put the finishing touches on mine. argh.

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Just single space it. I did one not too long ago and all the teacher is looking for is what you are going to use your info. for from a specific source. It's not an outline just what you're going to do with (blank)...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
oh, i should've specified...everything besides the annotated bibliography...single or double? i have it single now, but i really had to put in some half-assed writing to get it to proper length. i have been doing well with my writing so far, but man...i am not comfortable with this at all.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Smelly said:
double space it. Every teacher I've ever had wanted double space so they had room to line edit.
Yep, go with the double space. Whether it's college or high school, teachers want papers double spaced...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i only have one professor that likes single spaced and she is crazy.

definitely double space it. i would single space the annotated bibliography though.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
ok, cool...my papers will be a little long, but oh well. i've shortened them up and took out all the kerfluffle.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Mizzle said:
Arail on average is probably at least a 1/4th longer.

Peace,
John
yeah, and all professor know this. most have assigned spacing, margins and font size/type. stick with double spaced/times new roman and you should be good to go. Any prof. that doesn't call you out for using big font, just doesn't give a "F", but it's definitely not ignored because you have fooled them.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
the Inbred said:
oh, i should've specified...everything besides the annotated bibliography...single or double? i have it single now, but i really had to put in some half-assed writing to get it to proper length. i have been doing well with my writing so far, but man...i am not comfortable with this at all.
MLA dictates double-space. Personally I hate it for bibliographies and do 1.5 instead.

Don't half-ass to get within proper length unless the teacher is really going to make a point out of it. I've never had a teacher get mad for doing a page or two less than the assignment, unless you really leave out some information.

The Ito

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
ummbikes said:
Does your school/program/class use M.L.A., A.P.A or some other style?
whichever we want. my citations are MLA, though.

damn. i just looked up my prof...she graduated magna cum laude from Duke, and got her MA and PhD from Emory.