Quantcast

quick question guys

Hey guys, I just have a question, Im lacing up a wheel for the first time and the guy at the shop said that the disc side of the hub should have shorter spokes. It made sence but now that the rim is all laced up th hub is REALLY far off to the side and it can't be fixed with truing, I wanted to know should the short spokes be off to the non disc side or is it a mistake I could have made.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
i think it is a mistake that you made it depends how much shorter the dist side spokes are. I was just learning this for myself today.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
what are you asking here?

have you actually tensioned the wheel and checked it with a dishing tool?

yes, the short spokes go on the disc side...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Is it a front or rear wheel? On a front wheel, the disc side spokes will be about 2mm shorter. On a rear wheel the disc side MAY be a bit longer depending on the the hub/bike.
Some hub manufactures compensate for this by making the flange on the disc side of the front hub larger so all the spokes will be the same length. The only way to do this right is to measure everything and use a spoke calculator. You can download a spoke calc on the web and check to see if you're way off.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
What hub/rim are you building up?

On my XT hub, the shorter spokes go on the drive side so that the wheel is dished properly.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
On a rear disc wheel, if anything the drive-side spokes will be a little shorter (the cassette takes up a bunch of space, so the drive-side hub flange is closer to the center, so the distance from flange to rim is shorter). For a front, yeah the disc side will often be a little shorter.

Sounds like you need a dishing tool. It's a guage that tells you whether the hub is centered.

Actually I got an old rear wheel and took it apart and laced it again and I think i have the idea now I think my issue last time was right when I started building the rim I kept putting one trailing spoke in the wrong place and it screwed up the build every time but thanx for the help

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
DROP said:
Actually I got an old rear wheel and took it apart and laced it again and I think i have the idea now I think my issue last time was right when I started building the rim I kept putting one trailing spoke in the wrong place and it screwed up the build every time but thanx for the help
While each side is laced separately, you have to align each side correctly.

My friend laced one side, and then he incorrectly put the other side one spoke hole over. When putting the slightest tension, the wheel pulled too much to one side...

That's why the first two spokes I lace is the "key spoke", then the spoke on the side of the hub. If you do those two correctly, the rest of wheel falls into place.