Quantcast

Quick rear der. question....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm not sure if my bike had a long or short cage, what would be the disadvantage to ordering a "med" cage if my bike had a long cage?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
what is the largest cog you've got on yr cassette? if it's a 32T or 34T, you might not be able to reach it w/ a med cage. give SRAM a ring.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
stosh said:
I'm not sure if my bike had a long or short cage, what would be the disadvantage to ordering a "med" cage if my bike had a long cage?
It would be shorter. :rolleyes:

Good question. I've always wondered about the difference myself.

J

JRB

It would shift more crisply because the chain is shorter. If you use your big ring much, you could have grief. It should be ok, though. Why do you want medium??

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
It would shift more crisply because the chain is shorter. If you use your big ring much, you could have grief. It should be ok, though. Why do you want medium??
so I don't f' it up again. Better clearance as a replacement to my toasted one.

J

JRB

stosh said:
so I don't f' it up again. Better clearance as a replacement to my toasted one.
Did you say you tore the other one off? I missed that. I don't know how much different it will be, but you don't want a short cage.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
what is the largest cog you've got on yr cassette? if it's a 32T or 34T, you might not be able to reach it w/ a med cage. give SRAM a ring.

no idea.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
Did you say you tore the other one off? I missed that. I don't know how much different it will be, but you don't want a short cage.

it's in the GMT.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
loco said:
the big ring has nothing to do w/ the cage length of the der. take a look @ road bikes. big front rings, small cage der. why? because the cassette is smaller range (max gear is about 22T or so typically).

take my advice and ask SRAM what rear cog is the largest a med cage can handle.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
the big ring has nothing to do w/ the cage length of the der. take a look @ road bikes. big front rings, small cage der. why? because the cassette is smaller range (max gear is about 22T or so typically).

Ok I'll try to find the time to do that today.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Weight:
230g (med cage)
240g (long cage)

Compatibility:

9 speed drivetrains

Max 34T cog (long cage)
Max 32T cog (med cage)

Feature: DIRT direct route cabling

J

JRB

narlus said:

Max on a road cassette is smaller than a mountain cassette. The chain length has a lot to do with cage length. If the top pulley is in the same place, explain to me how that affects how many teeth you have in the back? It has to do with total inches, and last time I checked, the big ring adds quite a lot, where the cassette does not.

*you can use a short case with a 12-34 and a big ring, but you had better be damned careful.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
Max on a road cassette is smaller than a mountain cassette. The chain length has a lot to do with cage length. If the top pulley is in the same place, explain to me how that affects how many teeth you have in the back? It has to do with total inches, and last time I checked, the big ring adds quite a lot, where the cassette does not.
Do you like They Might Be Giants?

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
The total capacity is the number you need to worry about. The difference in teeth between your big, big and small, small combos. The mech needs to be able to take in that much slack of the chain will be too tight in the big big or to slack in small small.

The largest sprocket they can handle usually has plenty of leeway, you can usually get away with a road mech on a 32t cassette and mtb mechs should fit any mtb cassette.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I've seen them live more than any other bad.

I've been to about 4 shows of theirs.

I actually managed to piss them off when they released their compilation 2 CD set. They were signing them and they made some comment about me rushing to get the CD's signed and I said yeah I need to get it home and on EBAY and they were f'ing pissed. :)
I of course would never have put it on ebay... but they didn't find the humor in it.

J

JRB

D_D said:
<snip>The largest sprocket they can handle usually has plenty of leeway, you can usually get away with a road mech on a 32t cassette and mtb mechs should fit any mtb cassette.
See Narlus, 2 of us think this. :eviltongu

:D

J

JRB

stosh said:
I've seen them live more than any other bad.

I've been to about 4 shows of theirs.

I actually managed to piss them off when they released their compilation 2 CD set. They were signing them and they made some comment about me rushing to get the CD's signed and I said yeah I need to get it home and on EBAY and they were f'ing pissed. :)
I of course would never have put it on ebay... but they didn't find the humor in it.
I have never seen them. I've seen Dwight Yoakum a lot.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
I have never seen them. I've seen Dwight Yoakum a lot.
TMBG's are from NYC so I have a lot of chances to see them. How long have you been listening to them?

J

JRB

stosh said:
TMBG's are from NYC so I have a lot of chances to see them. How long have you been listening to them?
87 for sure. Maybe 86.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
87 for sure. Maybe 86.
Yikes, ya got me beat by about 4yrs.

Anyway my bike seems to have a 32 tooth rear cassette and a 44/32/22 in the front.

So I'm going to order the Med cage.

J

JRB

narlus said:
so then explain SRAM's criteria which stosh posted. :p
Having taken the X0/X9 off of my bike, I will continue to think SRAM doesn't know what they are doing. I wouldn't take their word for it. :think:

*edit - they likely think most people are too stupid to get the chain right.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
Having taken the X0/X9 off of my bike, I will continue to think SRAM doesn't know what they are doing. I wouldn't take their word for it. :think:

*edit - they likely think most people are too stupid to get the chain right.
bwahhhhhhhhhh

I'm pretty happy with my SRAM stuff... aside from my recent exploits I haven't had any problems.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
You should be ok with a mid-cage.

I run a mid-cage XTR on my Yeti with a 24/34/46t chain rings and a 12-32 8 spd cassette. I have my chain-length on that bike set so that it will cross-chain in the big ring but let me know it's not happy about it which tells me to shift to the middle ring. This allows relatively quick shifts and keeps the cage out of harm's way in most situations.

Conversly, on my Indy Fab hardtail (same rings, but an 11-30 8spd) I run a rare XTR road-cage derailleur. The cage is so short that it would not pull enough chain in some cassette gears in the granny, so I had to shorten the chain. However, this only allows use of the 6 smaller cogs in the big ring. If I accidentally x-chain, it'll lock up tight. When I used to race this bike, it wasn't a big deal. This bike shifts like nothing else, which was the main reason I put it on, but a side effect is the derailleur kept tight to the frame most of the time.

Btw, when doing rides at Thorpe, I carry a spare rear derailleur in my pack along with an extra cable and housing.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Ok, since you are running a 22-32-44 front, you have to be very, very carefull with your shifting if you're running a shortcage. That's if you can get it to work properly in the first place at all.

A shorty will only take so much slack from your chain, and since you are running 3 rings in the front you will have a lot of slack to take up.
I run a shortcage Dura-ace mech on 2 of my mtbs, one is an 11-32, one an 11-34. Both work awesome, but only because I run a single ring in the front. Going through the 9 cogs in the rear is not too much slack to handle...
You will have to set yours up while in the front middle ring, and be carefull with your shifting while in the top and bottom front rings, so that you don't have either too much slack in your chain, or to much, depending on the gear.

I definately reccomend going with at least a medium cage for your bike, since you are running the three front rings.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
firetoole said:
it mostly depends on the hanger angle and the size casset you are sporting
I think that must be it as well. (besides the cog limitations of the derailleurs)
I've got a small cage XTR on my 03 AC and it can't reach the smallest 3 cogs because it hits the frame. :(

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
zahgurim said:
Ok, since you are running a 22-32-44 front, you have to be very, very carefull with your shifting if you're running a shortcage. That's if you can get it to work properly in the first place at all.
So by your logic I should be able to run a short cage derailleur since I'm running 11-32 and 22-32-bash? Is that true? If so cool! I know what I'm running next.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
zahgurim said:

A shorty will only take so much slack from your chain, and since you are running 3 rings in the front you will have a lot of slack to take up.
I run a shortcage Dura-ace mech on 2 of my mtbs, one is an 11-32, one an 11-34. Both work awesome, but only because I run a single ring in the front. Going through the 9 cogs in the rear is not too much slack to handle...
You will have to set yours up while in the front middle ring, and be carefull with your shifting while in the top and bottom front rings, so that you don't have either too much slack in your chain, or to much, depending on the gear.

I definately reccomend going with at least a medium cage for your bike, since you are running the three front rings.
Ok cool because I just purchased the Med cage.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
narlus said:
i'm on page one, you dolts.

Cool, must have added the 40 post per page when RM upgraded.

(For y'all behind the times. Go to user cp -- edit options and change post per page so you can be like the cool kids.)