quick rear spring question

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
On my Transition TR250 the stock shock spring spec is:

spring for fox shock
8.5" x 2.5" (Forward Pin 22.2mm)

Can i run a spring that is a 2.75"? I thought i read longer is fine but shorter is a negatory...thanks guys.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
you can, but be sure that the free length of the spring actually fits on your shock. If you have to compress (pre-load) the spring just to get it on you may not care for the result.

edit: so how are you liking that bike so far?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
it looks like i will have about an inch of space with the new spring...its only .5" longer than my existing spring...so it should work then?

Bike is my favorite bike ever...just doing some fine tuning now...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
If it's a Fox spring I think they just supply the same longer length spring for 8.5 and 8.75 length shocks.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
If it's a Fox spring I think they just supply the same longer length spring for 8.5 and 8.75 length shocks.
oh nice yes it is a fox...

so basically the rule of thumb is that as long as the spring isnt to short that it binds you are ok? And that it isnt so long that can barely fit it on the carrier?

I have been running air forever, i forget these things and trying to dail in my suspension.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
oh nice yes it is a fox...

so basically the rule of thumb is that as long as the spring isnt to short that it binds you are ok? And that it isnt so long that can barely fit it on the carrier?

I have been running air forever, i forget these things and trying to dail in my suspension.
This is exactly right. Too little stroke = bad. Extra stroke is fine so long as the spring will physically fit on the shock.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
ugh you guys win...i have made some changes...chromag bars, running singlespeed, and grabbing a ti spring now hence the thread...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Looks really nice man!

You're running single speed w/ a tensioner or rigging up a derailleur?

Nice cranks :) Thanks again for the recommendation.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
no problem man...I have always wanted to give it a shot running SS (im a minimalist) and when i lost some parts off the mech i rigged it. Now after riding probably 65 runs with it I will be keeping the SS for a while, really enjoy it...Ordered a Paul Melvin for it just the other day.

Taking it up to Whistler in a few weeks and i'll throw gears on it for that trip since we do a bit of climbing there.

Those cranks really are great arent they...