Quantcast

Quick spoke length question

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
DT-Swiss says to use 260mm spokes. I have 261mm spokes. Will the world end if I use these? I'm figuring not, but then again...

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
It'll be fine. There should be enough threads to compensate for the extra mm.

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
If what these guys are suggesting works, disregard this. but what you could do is clip off a mm of threads. if the threads are too short after, chase them. If not, use the spoke:clapping:

nmr8

Monkey
Apr 6, 2007
If what these guys are suggesting works, disregard this. but what you could do is clip off a mm of threads. if the threads are too short after, chase them. If not, use the spoke:clapping:
clipping them will probably mess up the threads enough that it will be difficult to thread the nipples on, but filing them would probably be ok.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
It will be totally fine. You can be a couple of mm either side of the length needed and still get away with it.
That's the rule of thumb. I can normally lace a front and rear wheel with the same box of spokes. 2mm each way is NOT a big deal. You will never know, and if your worried about your spokes getting to short, get longer nipples. It's all compensation.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
it can be an issue if the ERD if different from what DT is using. I built 4 wheels at the shop last week and only 1 had the correct ERD listed in various programs. This happens more often than not, I've noticed. Some rims have been as far as as 4mm which makes a substantial difference in spoke length.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
it can be an issue if the ERD if different from what DT is using. I built 4 wheels at the shop last week and only 1 had the correct ERD listed in various programs. This happens more often than not, I've noticed. Some rims have been as far as as 4mm which makes a substantial difference in spoke length.
Always do your own measurements, then compare to what comes up on the site, no matter who calculator your using. If your building wheels you should have teh two yellow sticks for measuring ERD, and as far as hu measurements go, everyshop should have a caliper

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
... if the threads are too short after, chase them.
With what? :think:

Threads are mechanically rolled onto spoke wire not cut with a die. There is no metal removed the threads are basically squeezed out of the spoke metal.

OP, 1mm one way or the other isn't going to hurt anything. If my spoke calcs are within 2mm of each side of a dished wheel I use the same lenth for both sides.

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
With what? :think:

Threads are mechanically rolled onto spoke wire not cut with a die. There is no metal removed the threads are basically squeezed out of the spoke metal.

OP, 1mm one way or the other isn't going to hurt anything. If my spoke calcs are within 2mm of each side of a dished wheel I use the same lenth for both sides.
i dont know what its called, but in the shop we've got a tool that will chase/thread a spoke. i thought maybe that would work

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
I think that everyone is ignoring the big picture here. We are talking 1mm extra length. Doesn't sound like much, but remember that we are talking about 32 times 1mm, which is 32 mm, which is 64 mm for two wheels. AND this is rotating weight. I would go for 259 and save the weight.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
i dont know what its called, but in the shop we've got a tool that will chase/thread a spoke. i thought maybe that would work
This is what Ive seen/used

http://www.philwood.com/Spoke Machine.htm

Rolls the spokes into the wire as you cut it. I havent personally seen something specific to chase spoke threads, other than maybe getting a really really small die...which of coarse Cuts threads, not rolls threads.