Quantcast

Quick way to lose 20lbs?

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I want to lose about 20lbs before the races this year. I have been trying to eat healthy, riding a lot etc... Running is the abosulte last thing I want to do, I would rather go on a trailride on my IH Sunday. So does anyone have any tips? Please no smartass remarks!

Dan

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
go to the gym. it may be boring and painful but itll help you drop some weight. do about 30-45 min on a stationary bike a day or every other day and youll get yourself into pretty good shape.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Do you eat a lot of sweets? Soda, Juice, Candy? I suggest switching to diet, drinking lots of water & riding more! Ride 2 continuous hrs at a constant medium/fast pace, 3 times a week & you'll be good to go by race time!

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Ok,

So soda is out, water all day except for OJ in the morning and Milk for dinner. That acceptable?

No late night snacking which I am known for....No questionable food throughout the day? What would be an ideal dinner be if I am looking to lose weight?

I sound g4y.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
rockymt21 said:
I sound g4y.
Asking to lose weight does sound gay, but it's a good idea.

Eat more veggies in place of carbs. Drink tons of water.

Basically, poo more than you chew.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Mainly try to stay away from any "food products" your local supermarket might try to sell you.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Do some kind of exercise every day to keep your metabolism burning strong. Even if you are taking a recovery day off the bike, do some calisthenics or good stretching to get your heart rate above resting rate. Yes stay away from sugar. Drink a lot of water. Minimize carbohydrates. Stay away from fatty and overly salty foods. Read up on some basic nutrition and learn to avoid "empty" calories.

Drink hard liquor or wine instead of beer (if you drink at all).

But be careful that you don't starve yourself while training. You need to balance your desire to lose weight quickly with the need to fuel your body in order to take advantage of your training. If you don't give your body what it needs to recover from hard workouts you can do more damage than good. If you want lasting fitness, there are few short cuts.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Drop your carb intake, raise your protein intake, if your still hungry after a smaller meal, eat a salad with low carb dressing to fill up on, and get some kind of a cardio work out of at least 45 mintues after being warmed up, do the workout at least three times a week, and weight will drop fast. That how i Dropped 60 in 2 months

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
After I got my current girlfriend I dropped about 20 lbs cause she eats way healthier than I do and way smaller portions.

I realized I was always worried about still being hungry after a meal so I'd get more, and then feel like I had to eat the whole thing. When I started eating the same stuff she did, I was thinking that'd I'd totally have to go get a snack in 30 mins after eating w/ her but I didn't. She's pretty much all about the chicken, rice, salad or sandwhiches so that's all I pretty much eat these days. Oh, and I started taking my faith on trail rides. 40+ lbs isn't so bad after the third or fourth ride :thumb:

Disclaimer: I'm one of those guys that has an insane metabolism, so aparently I still eat more than a normal human.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
rockymt21 said:
I want to lose about 20lbs before the races this year. I have been trying to eat healthy, riding a lot etc... Running is the abosulte last thing I want to do, I would rather go on a trailride on my IH Sunday. So does anyone have any tips? Please no smartass remarks!

Dan
i´ve been loosing some weight in the last 3-4 weeks. with the help of a gym, and a nutrionist i´ve learnt a lot and its been effective. been droppng 2 pounds a week of mostly fat tissue.

go by this.

1) identify your current calorie intake. for 4-5 days write down everything you eat and find out how many calories are you eating each day.

2) cut back on calories. 3500 calories equal roughly 1 lb of fat. 2 pounds a week is a healthy limit. anything more, chances are you´d be loosing too much muscle. so cut 400-500 calories from your daily intake.

3) do some cardio. i do two 15min sessions a day. i burn about 200 calories in each, running about 2 miles in 15 minutes on the treadmill.

4) eat some protein and do some light-medium weight training. if you dont, then you will loose more muscle than necesary. go by .8- 1.0 gram per pound.

cardio and nutrition are the key.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
rockymt21 said:
Thats another thing, I really don't have the money to spend on a gym pass.

run 2 miles in 15 minutes, twice a day, 5 times a week.

if you want to speed it up without loosing much muscle, you need to lift weights. if you dont lift weights, you´d loose weight slower, or you will loose fat and muscle.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
justsomeguy said:
Reduce calories, exercise more.
:stupid:

Seriously, my weight loss comes on long road rides -- 3hrs+.

Smaller portions. Wait thirty minutes or more before eating more to see if you are still hungry.

Lifting weights will boost your metabolism especially legs -- largest muscle groups in the body.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I did this same thing last winter, and I was losing weight pretty quick, after about a week I had lost 10lbs, and thats with 15mins on a treadmill at a good rate, and a bunch of lifting, also healthy eating. But after 2 weeks I stopped losing weight and started gaining.

I just want to be able to fit in my clothes I was wearing 1-2 years ago so I can stop spending money on new clothes!

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Also,

I don't know what to eat for lunches. At school the lunches are crap, there is a salad bar, but it sucks, and if I am trying to eat salad for dinner I get too burnt out on salad. Should I eat a protein bar or something like that then have a small snack when I get home?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i started weight watchers in october last year. i lost 15lbs within the first six weeks and an additional 10lbs by february of this year. i have been maintaining the initial 25lb weight loss and actually changing shape (favorably) from fat to muscle. the whole premise is simply eating better. the points system makes it easy for results oriented people like me. i don't let myself get super hungry and i know that if i want to pig out and eat more i have to spend more time working out...be it cardio (intense riding or running), or heavy lifting.

i want to lose another 20lbs of fat but it is a fine line between losing muscle or fat for me. i've found that i can either lose POUNDS quickly by eating better/running or i can lose INCHES but maintain roughly the same weight and gain muscle mass by doing more protien intake/heavy weightlifting than just cardio. i choose the latter. i'm still trying to find the happy medium that will allow me to maintiain my muscle mass but maintain a weight range around 210-215 instead of my current 225.

so anyway, the biggest improvement in my weight loss has been through keeping track of what i eat and keeping it within set limits.
for example: if i need an afternoon snack i can either have 1 small hamburger or 6 pieces of fruit or a combo of fruit/crackers.

that article on the diet soda does make sense as i usually associate diet coke with a meal. if i drink a diet soda i usually want something to eat with it, regardless of whether or not i'm actually hungry.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
well, a lot of good ideas on here, but careful about overdoing it. overall you want to burn more calories than you take in, so plan on some type of cardio (directly burns calories) and weight training (builds muscles which burn calories all day).

Running is excellent cardio, as is riding road (I know, I know). Take a HT out on the road if you hate running, and just ride for an hour or so. When you're not pedaling, you slow down QUICK.

For eating, I'd suggest not cutting out carbs, but rather cutting out FAST carbs. Sugar, processed flour, pasta, potatoes, white bread, etc are all high in simple carbs, which your body converts to sugar almost immediately. Instead of normal pasta, switch to whole-wheat, and same with bread/bagels. Don't *just* eat salad for dinner, have some salad first before eating a healthy meal. The salad will fill you up and make your body take longer to digest the real food that you put in it. Whatever you do, don't cut back too much on calories or your body will think that it is starving and try to hold onto whatever it has left.

For lunch can you bring your own? Turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread?

If you want to go overboard, check out www.fitday.com, it lets you enter the food you eat and the time that you exercise, and it calculates the calories you take in and the calories that you burn. also keeps track of protien/carbs/fat.

Hope this helps!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
rockymt21 said:
Also,

I don't know what to eat for lunches. At school the lunches are crap, there is a salad bar, but it sucks, and if I am trying to eat salad for dinner I get too burnt out on salad. Should I eat a protein bar or something like that then have a small snack when I get home?
i been eating this with good results.

breakfast
2-3 whole wheat toasts, 1 slice of turkey.
200ml yogurt,
200ml orange juice.

lunch
150 grams turkey breast/salmon/boneless lean steak/tuna/chicken breast
1 cup of salad, no dressing, 2 lemons, salt and tiny bit of olive oil
2-3 toasts or rice, or a baked potato.
200gr grapes, or apples or fruits.

dinner
same as lunch minus the fruits. plus a protein shake. 23gr of protein.

there are like 1800 calories on that.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
dante said:
well, a lot of good ideas on here, but careful about overdoing it. overall you want to burn more calories than you take in, so plan on some type of cardio (directly burns calories) and weight training (builds muscles which burn calories all day).

Running is excellent cardio, as is riding road (I know, I know). Take a HT out on the road if you hate running, and just ride for an hour or so. When you're not pedaling, you slow down QUICK.

For eating, I'd suggest not cutting out carbs, but rather cutting out FAST carbs. Sugar, processed flour, pasta, potatoes, white bread, etc are all high in simple carbs, which your body converts to sugar almost immediately. Instead of normal pasta, switch to whole-wheat, and same with bread/bagels. Don't *just* eat salad for dinner, have some salad first before eating a healthy meal. The salad will fill you up and make your body take longer to digest the real food that you put in it. Whatever you do, don't cut back too much on calories or your body will think that it is starving and try to hold onto whatever it has left.

For lunch can you bring your own? Turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread?

If you want to go overboard, check out www.fitday.com, it lets you enter the food you eat and the time that you exercise, and it calculates the calories you take in and the calories that you burn. also keeps track of protien/carbs/fat.

Hope this helps!
I signed up on that site and set up a goal weight. It says for me to get to the goal weight I would need to lose about 4lbs a week for 6 weeks. Is that do-able?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
BurlyShirley said:
get a job as a Sherpa. Alexis DH, arent there peruvian sherpas?
yes, the rookie ones carry bikes uphill.
there are some who carry all 95% of the gear needed 95% of the way so the middle aged "climbers" can reach peaks in huaraz....:weee:

L

luelling

rockymt21 said:
Also,

You might try the low fat yogurt (around 100 cal for a container) and maybe half a cup of cottage cheese(if you can stand it). My nutrionist focused heavy on eating about every three to four hours to keep your metobalism high and make sure you don't skip breakfast. Also, watch calories from things like creamer and sugar in coffee, if you drink a lot of coffee you can rack up the calories fast. Also, if you eat bread or pasta try to make sure its whole grains, it takes more energy and time for your body to break down and you burn more calories in the process.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
ALEXIS_DH said:
yes, the rookie ones carry bikes uphill.
there are some who carry all 95% of the gear needed 95% of the way so the middle aged "climbers" can reach peaks in huaraz....:weee:
I bet those dudes are in shape.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
rockymt21 said:
I signed up on that site and set up a goal weight. It says for me to get to the goal weight I would need to lose about 4lbs a week for 6 weeks. Is that do-able?
how much you weight?

4lbs a week for 6 weeks means you are gonna loose around 60% fat, 40% muscle if you are average.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Im a big guy, 6'4'' 285lbs. Its weird because when I tell people I weigh that much they are shocked, They guess I weigh around 260....

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
BurlyShirley said:
I bet those dudes are in shape.
i´ve seen some of those dudes ripped as hell.

they in fact are the origin of a series of folklore sayings to describe chuck norris-esque toughness and fitness.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
justsomeguy said:
Reduce calories, exercise more.
That's really all it comes down to. Especially if you are young, I don't think there's a huge science to losing weight. Eat healthy (3 legit meals a day, or maybe more smaller meals), no late night eating, no crap (soda etc)...just don't overdo it. Dropping weight quickly isn't healthy, sustainable or really beneficial for you.

Lifting weights can help, but if dropping weight is the concern, they might not- you have to be conscious of the program you're using. Also, remember that weight isn't the only measure of fitness. At least for me...my weight is almost always in the same range. I fit into some of the same clothes I had 6+ years ago even though I am a lot stronger (bench maybe 100 lbs more) and weigh more as well. I can definitely feel the difference in my fitness when I ride more, but my weight is always around the same.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
rockymt21 said:
Im a big guy, 6'4'' 285lbs. Its weird because when I tell people I weigh that much they are shocked, They guess I weigh around 260....
i guess its very doable given your size.

i´d take a guess at 4 pounds a week of 70% fat, 30% muscle with the right meals.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
JRogers said:
That's really all it comes down to. Especially if you are young, I don't think there's a huge science to losing weight. Eat healthy (3 legit meals a day, or maybe more smaller meals), no late night eating, no crap (soda etc)...just don't overdo it. Dropping weight quickly isn't healthy, sustainable or really beneficial for you.

Lifting weights can help, but if dropping weight is the concern, they might not- you have to be conscious of the program you're using. Also, remember that weight isn't the only measure of fitness. At least for me...my weight is almost always in the same range. I fit into some of the same clothes I had 6+ years ago even though I am a lot stronger (bench maybe 100 lbs more) and weigh more as well. I can definitely feel the difference in my fitness when I ride more, but my weight is always around the same.
This is true. I am a pretty fit kid for my size, I ride pretty often for long times and I have done pretty decent in some races, 3 top 10's last season in DH.

Since you live in Middlebury, maybe we could hook up for some trail rides. I might be able to borrow a friends fixie from MA and since I am not aware of many trail systems besides Catamount in Willistion I would need someone to show me around.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
rockymt21 said:
I ride pretty often for long times and I have done pretty decent in some races, 3 top 10's last season in DH.
If riding for "long times" = a DH race, you have some issues to work through.

Eat less, ride more (this doesn't mean doing DH)

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
1.5hr trail rides on your Sunday will suck up a ****load of calories.

when i start counting calories, i get crazy obsessive. last time i did that (last spring), i was down to 800 - 1000 calories a day. no more calorie counting for me. just eat normal/ decently, and ride (or at least try to).

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
justsomeguy said:
If riding for "long times" = a DH race, you have some issues to work through.

Eat less, ride more (this doesn't mean doing DH)
No that means doing trail work, and then riding all day, hiking the trails and such. Although a day of runs at Bromont in the heat could tire out even the fittest!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have been loosing with a few small changes:

Eat first thing in the morning. Within 30 minutes of getting out of bed. This will help kick start your fat burn.

Eat every 3-4 hours and if you can, 3 meals, 2-3 snacks.

Don't eat 2 hours before a workout, then eat protien right after.

Muscle burns fat.

aznfreerdr08

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Concord, CA
i have lost 40 lbs in the last year, and all it has really come down to is eating healthy, working out/running a lot, and just staying really active.

i dont really know what you can do except run. i try to run atleast 2-3 miles a day, plus wrestling practice(which could be interchanged for a nice 5-10mile xc ride in your case) and eating lots of fruit, vegetables, high proteins, and complex carbs for energy for your workouts. you dont necessarily need to eat a whole lot less, just change things around a little. eat whole grain breads instead of regular wheat or white, eat a lot more fish or chicken. easy on the super fatty salad dressings like ranch and creamy stuff like that.
hope this helps a little bit