Quantcast

Quietest brake pad

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
What are the quietest Hayes brake pads? I am so tired of the stock Hayes pads making so much noise.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I am about to. ;)

Anyone?

Ive run Galpher reds in the past and they were pretty quiet.

How are the semi metalic Hayes pads vs sintered?

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
Kanter,

I'm running the Aztec pads with my Hayes Blacks and they're stealthy silent. (kind of) at least they don't squeal.

If you're running brand new pads, i'd give them some time to wear in, also maybe give them a bath with some 70-90% iso alchohol and your discs, that will wash away contaminants.

At least they aren't hope brakes, hope brakes perform wonderfully, although they squeal like a siren.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
HOW,
I cleaned the pads and rotors with rubbing alcohol. I also scuffed up the discs and pads. The brakes squeal and make terrible noise. Ive tried everything. I even replaced the pads with new stock pads and they still squeal after MANY MANY Whistler DH runs.

How are the Galpher reds or EBC reds?
Sintered metalic vs semi-metallic?

These are for my wifes Hayes Nines.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Find a higher end shop and get the brake tabs faced down a little bit. It's done with a tool that mounts to the dropouts and skims off the surface material of the tabs (along with an inconsistencies) so the pads are guaranteed to be parallel. Non-parallel pads is a source of squealing brakes (angular contact causing vibration or rotor bending as it passes through the caliper).

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
well if you'd stop using the brakes so much the wouldn't squeal.
Ill let my wife know and you can discuss that with her. :)
This is on her bike. Read carefully. ;)

The brake pads wear evenly..... Ill have the shop look at them and see if they need to be faced. Im going to order some Galpher red pads today.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
EBC red are very silent but wear very fast (Imo good only for race days as they go fast).

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Kanter,

I'm running the Aztec pads with my Hayes Blacks and they're stealthy silent. (kind of) at least they don't squeal.

If you're running brand new pads, i'd give them some time to wear in, also maybe give them a bath with some 70-90% iso alchohol and your discs, that will wash away contaminants.

At least they aren't hope brakes, hope brakes perform wonderfully, although they squeal like a siren.
Yeha i agree with the Aztecs, they are very good! i run there rotors and they run beautifully too!

CarbonMike

Chimp
Mar 23, 2007
Slovakia
Both brakes are squealing or just one? My friend had problem with rear 203mm brake, it was squealing like hell, tons of vibrations from rear swingarm.

builder666

Monkey
Dec 13, 2002
Construction in Subterfuge
Good tip to reduce disc brake noise... Next time you replace your brake pads try this.

1. Remove old pads.
2. Clean caliper assembly and rotor thoroughly with isopropyl, rubbing, alcohol and let dry.
3. File 45 degree chamfer on the leading edge of the new pads. DO NOT take off more than half of the thickness of the braking material.
4. When you have the wheel back in place, loosen the vertical bolts attaching the caliper assembly to the adapter so you can wiggle the caliper side to side.
5. Use two business cards as spacers between the new pads and the rotor and apply the brake, squeeze the lever a couple of times.
6. Tighten the bolts and remove business cards.

This works for me.

P.S. I keep isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle as it comes in handy for just these occasions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Good tip to reduce disc brake noise... Next time you replace your brake pads try this.

1. Remove old pads.
2. Clean caliper assembly and rotor thoroughly with isopropyl, rubbing, alcohol and let dry.
3. File 45 degree chamfer on the leading edge of the new pads. DO NOT take off more than half of the thickness of the braking material.
4. When you have the wheel back in place, loosen the vertical bolts attaching the caliper assembly to the adapter so you can wiggle the caliper side to side.
5. Use two business cards as spacers between the new pads and the rotor and apply the brake, squeeze the lever a couple of times.
6. Tighten the bolts and remove business cards.

This works for me.

P.S. I keep isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle as it comes in handy for just these occasions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is exactly what I did, except for the 45 degree filing. Thanks for the info though.

How are the Hayes semi-metallic pads?