Quantcast

Quilcene Sunday

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Official thread for the ride$$$$$ You only have to pay a millyun Dutch guilders to ride the trail, no wait.... i think you only need 4 thousand.... Anyone wanna go speak up.

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
oh - and uh - I meant where in the state of WA geographically - you already said the "where" - is it north south east or west? many miles from my happy camping ground?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
It's across the pond. Kevin and Amy are goin you could possibly hitch a ride with them. It's in Quilcene which is a little south of Hood Canal bridge. :)

i'm going to be in Tacoma at 7 and we're hoping to be at the trailhead 8:30ish. an Edmonds Kingston ferry i imagine will get you there fairly quick, since it's directly across from Edmonds west as the crow flies, or the seagull i should say. :p

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Serial Midget said:
I got your voicemail but I must work this weekend. Next weekened I'm racing in Ski to Sea so... mid June before I make road trips. :)
ok i've heard that they are opening the Mt. St. Helens trails this year, so we'll have to return soon for that.
Good luck on the race man, hopefully we'll catch ya in June. :thumb:

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Jr_Bullit said:
If you can get to Mukilteo - we can carpool...
Getting anywhere can be a problem when you dont drive. :rolleyes: Anyway, there is one guy who I go riding with a lot who may love to go one some of these rides. My parents probably trust him enough to drive me. He's just a year younger or older than my dad, I forget which, not that it really matters.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Jr_Bullit said:
Can you PM me directions off of the kingston ferry docks?
Stay on 104 after Striebels Corner if veers right, takes you up to Port Gamble, a sleepy little town, where you veer left.
You come up to Hood Canal Bridge to your right. Stay on the road til you get to 101, take a left and head south to Quilcene.
Start the odometer on the car when you roll into Quilcene.
1 mile past Quilcene fork right onto Penny Creek Rd. 2.5 miles take the left fork (this road becomes FR 27). at 6.1 go left on FR2700-080. at 6.5 miles Lower Big Quilcene Trailhead-Olympic National Forest.
See ya there, color coordinate i might be bringing my camera. :p :cool:

sudhamike

Chimp
Nov 26, 2003
That is some sweet-assed singletrack. Great climb up, and a great swoop down. Plus, there actually is some kick-ass scenery on this ride, rain or shine. :drool:

Dave_Schuldt

Monkey
Jun 13, 2004
Seattle
After crossing the Hood Canal bridge go south on Center Valley Road. The turn off is maybe 5 or more miles after the bridge. There will be signs. This will save some time getting to Quilcene.

Jun 18, 2004
At some point if there are any 'east siders' (of the pond) that know where this place is I'm down... I have a shuttle truck and I ride for free on WSF Ferries since I'm an employee...

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Str8OutaBallard said:
At some point if there are any 'east siders' (of the pond) that know where this place is I'm down... I have a shuttle truck and I ride for free on WSF Ferries since I'm an employee...
J'ou online? I dunno where it is, but I can read directions as good as anyone...I'd meetcha somewhere if you're game for carpoolin :) I always try to pitch in for gas if cash or food is accepted ;).

Otherwise, I'll get my butt up at 6 again tomorrow to load up and hit the road. 8:30am, right Skooks?

Jen

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Just check weather.com - 30% chance of rain....sigh - I wish that wasn't like the "standard" forecast for any location in western WA on any given day of the week...

Windy. A few showers from time to time. High 56F. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Parabola

Chimp
Mar 1, 2005
Seattle
Man, am I a weanie. I'm wiped from today's Galbraith escapade. I'll have to catch you guys next time. I'll be in better shape eventually.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Jr_Bullit said:
Just check weather.com - 30% chance of rain....sigh - I wish that wasn't like the "standard" forecast for any location in western WA on any given day of the week...

Windy. A few showers from time to time. High 56F. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Liquid sunshine. :cool:

See ya out there?

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Yaya - hopefully I'm not running too late - had a headache that kept me from getting up exactly on time...call ya in a few :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
It was pouring down rain when we passed thru Silverdale. Then we hit blue skies. Didn't rain a drop on the ride. The trails are smooth, groomed, and flowy. The ride up is pretty scenic, woodsy river ride and an easy climb for the most part. The ride back is fast and flowy, totally easy, but easy in a good way. Quick we rode it in 3 hours taking it easy with alot of breaks, if you hammered it, you could be done in 2 hrs.
4 groups of hikers, no mt. bikes, kinda a long distance for me, but i liked it. It's a nice trail, Oly would love it, i kept thinking that that trail was made for him.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
mannnnn

I was so bummed I got mixed up on the ferry schedules this morning...I was totally on time too to catch a 7:30 boat :( so ticked I was when the guy was like...sorry darlin, no boats till 8:40

Tiger was muddy...;)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Jr_Bullit said:
mannnnn

I was so bummed I got mixed up on the ferry schedules this morning...I was totally on time too to catch a 7:30 boat :( so ticked I was when the guy was like...sorry darlin, no boats till 8:40

Tiger was muddy...;)
Yah Tiger is an ok fall back plan, but unfortunately you missed a good one. Rhodendrans were starting to bloom.....

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Skookum said:
Yah Tiger is an ok fall back plan, but unfortunately you missed a good one. Rhodendrans were starting to bloom.....

:( sigh...would have been so much fun!!! At least Rhodies aren't edible, like those mushroom patches were last fall!!!!

I'll just have rely on my eased conscience that I helped a doggie find it's owner at Tiger...I was digging around for my gloves (so ya - picture the keester stickin up in the air while I lean in the drivers side trying to find my other glove) I felt a paw on my leg...

Surprise! I turn around and there's an adorable little dog looking rather forelorn and definitely in the mood for attention. After she peed a few times while dancing around my car I was able to get ahold of her collar and verify that no one else in the parking lot was her owner. The other dood who was there was also getting lots of attention from her, but she was trying to get her muddy little self into my car!!! So I called the number on her collar after about 10 minutes of this, and spoke to her owner. He got to the lot quite quickly to retrieve the sweetie.

Man...I sure do miss dogs! For now I'm only qualified to enjoy other people's dogs, but man...:) I wouldn't have minded her coming along for my trek over Tiger today...

Jun 18, 2004
Jr_Bullit said:
J'ou online? I dunno where it is, but I can read directions as good as anyone...I'd meetcha somewhere if you're game for carpoolin :) I always try to pitch in for gas if cash or food is accepted ;).

Otherwise, I'll get my butt up at 6 again tomorrow to load up and hit the road. 8:30am, right Skooks?

Jen
Are you up for going after next weekend? when you emailed I was unpacking from Whistler... I have to work from Tues night (5-24) to Tues morning (5-31)... let me know if you wanna do it after that... and I have a N Shore/Whistler Trip Sched for Fri&Sat the 3rd and 4rth...

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Str8OutaBallard said:
Are you up for going after next weekend? when you emailed I was unpacking from Whistler... I have to work from Tues night (5-24) to Tues morning (5-31)... let me know if you wanna do it after that... and I have a N Shore/Whistler Trip Sched for Fri&Sat the 3rd and 4rth...
maybe - can't really commit at this point...Steve and I are headed to Smith for Memorial Day weekend, then the weekend after that I have to probably head to Canada...