eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Man... I really feel like we're getting tantalizingly close to a MAJOR breakthrough - if we could get massive gains in solar cell efficiency combined with a breakthrough in battery technology... I think we might be "there" at that point. :thumb:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Man... I really feel like we're getting tantalizingly close to a MAJOR breakthrough - if we could get massive gains in solar cell efficiency combined with a breakthrough in battery technology... I think we might be "there" at that point. :thumb:
1000x more efficient/power sounds suspect. Skeptical. If you could start gathering that kind of energy on a larger scale you'd probably start having winter in the middle of summer, as all the radiation would go into electricity and not heat the surface.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
1000x more efficient/power sounds suspect. Skeptical. If you could start gathering that kind of energy on a larger scale you'd probably start having winter in the middle of summer, as all the radiation would go into electricity and not heat the surface.
Well, it *is* "Science Daily" so... skepticism is probably warranted. :D

But a significant breakthrough on the solar-cell efficiency front combined with a revolutionary battery breakthrough sure would be a game-changer, I'd think...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just want silent air conditioning and heating in my camper overnight, is that too much to ask?
Yes. This is what I put on every hotel review. We can put a fucking man on the moon, but we can't keep an A/C unit in 2021 from screeching constantly and vibrating.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Do you live in North Carolina?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Solar cells are already 10-20% efficient. 1000x and we will be getting tons of free energy, fuck the laws of thermodynamics.