Quantcast

Qwill stem height?

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
After a big group ride this weekend which kept me either down on the hoods or in the drops most of the time, I realized that maybe my stem is too low. Riding on the hoods for extended periods of time was uncomfortable and the drops were REALLY uncomfortable. As you can tell, I don't do a lot of riding in the drops. :) From my seat height, the tops of my bars are almost exactly 5 inches lower. That seems a lot, no?

"Normal" riding consists of commuting 19 miles round trip 3-4 days/week, and maybe a 40-miler on the weekend. I usually ride with my hands on the outer curve of the bars, so my neck and back never bother me. I only drop down to the hoods to brake, f I'm really cranking or trying to keep low because of a headwind. Shifters are on the downtube, btw (20-year old Cannondale Criterium). I've been riding this way for a long time, so maybe I"m used to it now.

I checked my stem and it is already at the etched line so I'm not sure if I can raise it any without it causing problems with the fork steertube. So after all this my question is: Is it safe to raise the stem an inch or two to get more comfortable hood/drop riding... OR do they make older qwill stems that are longer?

Thanks all!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
G-Cracker said:
From my seat height, the tops of my bars are almost exactly 5 inches lower.
Anyone who's bars are that low could probably give 'emself a BJ.

As for your quill question, I'm not that knowledgeable about threaded systems. You can probably get extensions and such, but the simple fact must be... if you're at the maximum height -and- it's too low, you're totally on the wrong frame bro.

You sound like me... legs disproportionately long for your height. Which is why my custom bike is on order and will be done in two weeks :)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What is your height, inseam length, and seat tube length, measured from center of the bottom bracket to the center of the top tube?

I bet you frame size is too small.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
This is cheaper than a new frame:

Maybe not as cool as a regular 'flat' road stem, but it'll get your bars higher.

I'm kinda old and my back doesn't like to bend like it use to, but I find that having the top of the bars even with my seat is pretty comfortable.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Aslo - Salsa makes some nice quils in any number of hights, reach and angles.

My bar is about 1 inch lower than my saddle. Having your bars that low just wrong. OUCHIE!

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
sanjuro said:
What is your height, inseam length, and seat tube length, measured from center of the bottom bracket to the center of the top tube?

I bet you frame size is too small.
Frame size could be too small. I bought it off a buddy who is about my height but never was measured for it officially.

Height: 5'9.5"
Inseam: 31"
Seat tube length: 18.75"

On my commute home, while I was riding "normally" (hands on the upper curves of the bars) the handlebar blocked my view of the front axle. I've read that the front axle should be blocked when I'm on the hoods, so bringing up the stem would help.

Might this be affected by the very short crank length (165)? Shorter crank arms would force me to raise my seat to get proper leg extension. Yes?

I looked on ebay for qwill stems... I just couldn't tell if they were of different lengths on the downward (??) portion. I'll keep looking.

And yes, I pretty much feel like I could give myself a BJ when I'm in the drops... or at least rattle my teeth loose from knocking my chin with my knees. :rofl:

A new bike is on the horizon (next year) but for now I gotta stick with this and tweak it as cheaply as I can.

Thanks all!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
G-Cracker said:
Frame size could be too small. I bought it off a buddy who is about my height but never was measured for it officially.

Height: 5'9.5"
Inseam: 31"
Seat tube length: 18.75"

On my commute home, while I was riding "normally" (hands on the upper curves of the bars) the handlebar blocked my view of the front axle. I've read that the front axle should be blocked when I'm on the hoods, so bringing up the stem would help.

Might this be affected by the very short crank length (165)? Shorter crank arms would force me to raise my seat to get proper leg extension. Yes?

I looked on ebay for qwill stems... I just couldn't tell if they were of different lengths on the downward (??) portion. I'll keep looking.

And yes, I pretty much feel like I could give myself a BJ when I'm in the drops... or at least rattle my teeth loose from knocking my chin with my knees. :rofl:

A new bike is on the horizon (next year) but for now I gotta stick with this and tweak it as cheaply as I can.

Thanks all!
Holy Cow! You are riding a bike designed for someone 5'0" The 18.75 seat tube is a 48cm frame (most frames today are measured this way). With your specs, I would think a 54cm frame would be a better fit.

48cm is what I typically sell to shorter women.

Did you friend sell this bike to you because it didn't fit him?

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
You're kidding???? Holy crap. No, he rode it for years and sold it because he upgraded to train for a triathelons. I've been riding this bike for almost 4 years like this! LOL

Wow.... well, jeez I don't know how I feel about this now. I obviously can't afford a new bike and now I'm embarassed that it's so small! LOL

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
This is really bothering me now. :D maybe I can find an old steel road frame in my size and transfer all the bits and pieces over to a used (cheap) frame. Better start checking garage sales and swap meets, eh?