Quantcast

R.i.p. Dsc

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
Well, my old Sony looks like it's finally done for after being dropped one too many times (3 total). It took a few decent photos, but sure wasn't very durable compared to other cameras in its price range. I found out it was done for a little too late and missed a pretty decent shot because of that.

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
sneakysnake said:
Get a pelican case for your next camera. Mine has saved my camera many many times.

http://www.pelican.com/
It wasn't a case of the case in any of the drops. The camera was out of the case when I dropped it those three times. I dropped it in the case several times, but I don't count those as a real drop because padded cases do what they are supposed to do.

A coupleof friends had Olympus cameras that endured several drops, one even from a second story hotel balcony onto concrete and they still work. The Sony DSCs are just fragile, like that moco dude's ego.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's a little bit of a crapshoot when you drop cameras... Even within a model or brand. One guy drops a camera sixteen times and has no problem, another guy drops the same model twice and it just managed to damage something enough to kill it.

I've beaten on my Sony DSC F717 plenty, and my dad has dropped his P200 a few times with no trouble. He did drop his Olympus and killed it on the first drop, though :think:

Oh well. Sorry to hear about your camera, let us know what you pick up to replace it!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I'm having good luck with mine. Dropped and rained on a couple of time but still kicking. Sorry to hear about you're loss.....

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
my wife sacrificed a dsc-p9 to the austrian alps... but we wrote that off to the powder gods...

our newer p10 is still workin well..

sony seems hit or miss these days i reckon...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
partsbara said:
my wife sacrificed a dsc-p9 to the austrian alps... but we wrote that off to the powder gods...

our newer p10 is still workin well..

sony seems hit or miss these days i reckon...
Sony MD walkmans don't bounce from the 3rd floor.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
binary visions said:
It's a little bit of a crapshoot when you drop cameras... !

Do you know what the typical mode of failure is? Is it the mechanism that controls the lense, the optics chip, stress on circuitry, etc? Just wondering.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jdschall said:
Do you know what the typical mode of failure is? Is it the mechanism that controls the lense, the optics chip, stress on circuitry, etc? Just wondering.
Nah, it varies from camera to camera. In MisterClean's case, the camera still operated and recorded a picture, it's just out of focus - so either the autofocus mechanism is toast or the actual lens itself is shifted.

In the case of my dad's Olympus, the camera would turn on, there would be a harsh whirring sound, and it'd turn off again.

In the case of a friend's camera, everything turned on and all the mechanisms worked fine, but the LCD was completely blank and it would record only black images (guessed it was a toasted sensor).