Quantcast

R.I.P. graphic designer and artist Frank Kozik

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
One of my favorite poster/album cover artists of all time, Frank Kozik, kicked the bucket a week ago. His influence was pretty massive. I meant to post this a few days ago but kinda forgot. Anyways, (the) Melvins concert I'm going to tonight reminded me.

Back in high school, I always gravitated towards artists like Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein. I remember when I discovered Pushead, and the journey that took me on. I recall the delightful perversion of the inner album cover art by Robert Williams for G-n-R's Appetite for Destruction. And then in college, I was working at a record store when (the) Melvin's album Houdini came out and I was like... who the FUCK is this? Frank Kozik, that's who.

Kozik was a legend, working with heaps of punk, grunge, metal, and rock bands over the years doing album covers, concert posters, etc. I recently picked up a limited edition screen printed of one of his more well-known images, the Green Lady. Hand printed and signed/numbered by the artist himself. Super cool, she stares seductively at me from the wall opposite my desk in the Bong Shed™ everyday.

His shit was rad whether you wanna call it hot rod art, pop art, lowbrow, Stuckism, whatever. Throw in that he also started Man's Ruin Records and got into the collectible artsy toy game with Kidrobot in addition to working with a bunch of pretty rad bands, and you get a legend.

R.I.P. in peace, dude.