Quantcast

R.I.P. Murph (SMBA Member)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Just found out the awful news. :( Murph (Jim Murphy) a long-time, dedicated member of SMBA (our local bike club the Saratoga Mountain Bike Association) was out riding one of our trails yesterday and died. Initial reports point to a massive heart attack, stroke, etc. (we'll know the official cause soon) He passed around 2:30pm EST yesterday. The guy he was riding with said he was gone by the time he got to him and the EMTs got back there within 30 minutes of the call and we not able to save him.

Murph was a great guy; loved to ride and always had a smile on his face and a friend to many. Truly a great loss to our mountain bike community. Please send some thoughts and prayers out for his wife and 8 month old son.

Please take this opportunity to check in with your health care provider. Murph didn't have a known heart condition, lived a healthy life, exercised and died at the young age of 35! PLEASE get checked out for those that love you!!!

RIP Murph!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
lord strikes down the best of them in the worst ways. sometimes things like that happen with no warning signs.

At the very least, it sounds like he died doing what he loved. Best wishes go out to his family.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
A good friend of mine from Middlebury, VT that goes to Skidmore was one of the two people riding with him when he passed away. He just met the guy a couple hours before it happened.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Wow...can't believe I missed this thread earlier. I got the news this morning. Murph was a active and valuable member of our club (SMBA). He was always there for whatever needed, and usually with a cold one to share after the work was done. As Treesaw said, beyond that, he was a good husband and father. I'll miss him. :(

RIP Murph.