Quantcast

R1000 or R5000?

warrenride

Chimp
Aug 11, 2003
so last year I used a old used road bike to go on some rides with soem peopel from work, it's a old cannondale R400, so it's had a good amoutn of miles on it. last year I decided to wait on buying a biek because it was mid season so I jsut used the old bike but this season I want to get my own bike. I mostly ride DH Freeride, so this would be my first good road bike. I'm tryign to decide between the cannondale R1000 and the R5000, I would be getting these bikes through prodeal (I won't post prices) but it's not that much more for the Cannondale R5000, witch comes with Dura ace 10 spd, and the R1000 comes with Ultegra 10spd, The R5000 also comes with better wheels but this question is more about the drive train. Since this is my first good road biek do you think I will be able to notice between the dura ace? or will the Ultegra be fine?

I know both bikes are good, and will do me fine, but do you think it's worth the extra bills now?

Thanks
see you on the road

-Seth

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ok, don't post prices, but do post the cost difference. And what are the wheels.

You'll notice a difference between wheels more than drivetrain. And, just cuz the r5000 wheels are "better", doesn't mean they're better for you. Like, what are road conditions, how much do you weigh.

warrenride

Chimp
Aug 11, 2003
The price difference is about $350 between the 1000 and the 5000. and the 1000 coems with Ksyrium Equipe, while the 5000 comes with the Elites. I have also heard the new 10 speed Ultegra shifts better the the old dura ace 9 speed, so I don't think I'll have a problem with how the Ultegra shifts.

I weigh about 180, so the stiffer the better. and for the type of riding I do it's mostly back roads through the boony, so the roads are in pretty good shape, and I try and avoid the roads that need work, but I'm also planing to do a few centuries this summer

I'm leaning more towrds the 1000, just because of the other stuff I'm gogi nto have to buy with the bike, like shoes and pedals

Thanks

-Seth

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
warrenride said:
The price difference is about $350 between the 1000 and the 5000. and the 1000 coems with Ksyrium Equipe, while the 5000 comes with the Elites. I have also heard the new 10 speed Ultegra shifts better the the old dura ace 9 speed, so I don't think I'll have a problem with how the Ultegra shifts.

I weigh about 180, so the stiffer the better. and for the type of riding I do it's mostly back roads through the boony, so the roads are in pretty good shape, and I try and avoid the roads that need work, but I'm also planing to do a few centuries this summer

I'm leaning more towrds the 1000, just because of the other stuff I'm gogi nto have to buy with the bike, like shoes and pedals

Thanks

-Seth
The frames and the forks are the same, which is the most important thing. The wheels are only slightly different in weight, the rims on the Elites made of Maxtal, the superduper aluminum.

The only debate is between Dura-Ace and Ultegra. I doubt most would notice a difference, but if savings are important...

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Just for the wheels I would get the 5000. Equipes are poop in my book.
If I was looking at parts I would get Ultegra.. see if your shop will give you money for the Equipes and buy the SSL's. Might end up being the same amount out of your pocket and those are NICE wheels.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Arsbars said:
Just for the wheels I would get the 5000. Equipes are poop in my book.
If I was looking at parts I would get Ultegra.. see if your shop will give you money for the Equipes and buy the SSL's. Might end up being the same amount out of your pocket and those are NICE wheels.
:stupid: