Quantcast

R2C2 rebound shaft spinning.....

FBHO

Chimp
Mar 16, 2013
So in the process of rebuilding my fork I filled it back up with oil, and when I went to put it back together the rebound shaft just kept spinning. Eventually I was able to get it (the bolt) out..now I look at the rebound shaft and the threads are a little rough, but it will still thread in..at least until the shaft starts spinning.

Along with the bolt came a black washer (crush washer?) that's all chewed up and inside the lower there appears to be a missing piece, like a large circle spacer type thing. I just bought the 2010+ lower screws..... http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=43679&category=705 .....so hopefully everything I need is in there? Anyways the question is:

1. Why is the rebound shaft spinning.
2. Why is there a big circle type deal thing at the bottom of the lower that looks missing (on the inside)
3. What is the little black washer that came out with the screw

Thanks!

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
1. The R2C2 rebound assembly has three concentric shafts, and the middle one is stripped out and probably cracked. This is quite common, and is sometimes (but not always) caused by inadvertently turning the HS adjuster past the stop. Speak to your local distributor if they're still under warranty, otherwise you will need to order a whole new rebound assembly.
2 & 3. Without seeing a pic, it sounds like your crush washer has come apart - it's a plastic crush washer with a metal backing plate.

FBHO

Chimp
Mar 16, 2013
Hey Steve,
Thanks for the response!
..I am retarded and had the two sides confused, it's actually the spring shaft that is spinning not the rebound side but the bottom out. My rebound is A-ok, at least it seems so (and I hope so with a $170-200 replacement piece).

And i'll go ahead and throw some photos up but you seem to be describing it correct with the crush washer and metal spacer/back plate.

Thanks again!

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
If the shaft bore is full of oil it may prevent proper bolt torque. Also having a new crush washer on the bolt helps with tightening without shaft spin.

FBHO

Chimp
Mar 16, 2013
Hmm so it's normal for the shaft to spin? I don't remember it ever spinning on prior rebuilds granted I never tried spinning it.

FBHO

Chimp
Mar 16, 2013
Ok so apparently it's normal for them to spin, never even noticed before.
Anyhow, does it matter how the metal washer goes on? 1st photo or second, does it even matter? And what are all the other pieces for? The big metal washer, plastic washer and bolt? Thanks
_MG_6396.jpg_MG_6397.jpg

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
First pic with the plastic washer sitting inside the metal one. So you would put the metal washer over the bolt arranged like it is first pic and then drop the plastic one on top of that so it sits inside the metal. This is your crush washer setup and it helps to seal the bolt in the lower so your lower oil does not seep out.

The spring side shaft can spin but that should not effect screwing in the bolt to proper torque.

FBHO

Chimp
Mar 16, 2013
Awesome thanks.
However, I am still having problems with it screwing in. I am guessing the threads are somehow messed up and I need to get a new spring shaft.

Edit: Anyone know where I can get one in the US?

Last edited: