Quantcast

Race bike wheel question.........

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
For the upcoming season I will be racing my new Superlight.I am wondering what wheels you guys use and why?I have three choices,Crossmax SL(currently on bike),717's on XTR hubs,or the XTR M965's.Which would you run and why?Thanks

Aug 27, 2004
If money is no problem, then i would build up a set of nice wheels with chris kings or tunes. Also i would look into stans wheelsets; they are very strong and reliable.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
ilikebikes444 said:
If money is no problem, then i would build up a set of nice wheels with chris kings or tunes. Also i would look into stans wheelsets; they are very strong and reliable.
Would like some hoops built up with Kings but I have the 3 above mentioned wheel sets. Just tryin to pick from them.I know,it's a good problem to have.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Can't beat the lightness/stiffness of the crossmaxes. My last race bike had Bontrager Race Lites, and while mildly lighter, they were more flexible than my morals.

The XTR/717 combo wouldn't be bad, but still not as light as the Crossmaxes, and perhaps not as stiff. Non-funky spokes make life easier, but XTR hubs are still the old cup and cone standby. I like the cartridge bearings of the Crossmax so much more...

I've never ridden M965's, so I can't really comment on them, but I do know they're heavier than the Crossmaxes and they have funky spokes...even funkier than the Crossmax.

And the Crossmaxes are just so goddamned sexy...put those on!

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
xbluethunderx said:
Can't beat the lightness/stiffness of the crossmaxes. My last race bike had Bontrager Race Lites, and while mildly lighter, they were more flexible than my morals.

The XTR/717 combo wouldn't be bad, but still not as light as the Crossmaxes, and perhaps not as stiff. Non-funky spokes make life easier, but XTR hubs are still the old cup and cone standby. I like the cartridge bearings of the Crossmax so much more...

I've never ridden M965's, so I can't really comment on them, but I do know they're heavier than the Crossmaxes and they have funky spokes...even funkier than the Crossmax.

Yeah,the crossmax's are on there now and they do look pretty pimp.My Superlight is Gun Metal grey with silver decals and the silver sl's look to good.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
GravityFreakTJ said:
Yeah,the crossmax's are on there now and they do look pretty pimp.My Superlight is Gun Metal grey with silver decals and the silver sl's look to good.
Ohhh god...need pics...I just made a mess in my pants...

That would look hawt :thumb:

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I've had really good luck w/ the DT Swiss 4.1s. I'm running the disc version, which is the same as the rim brake version minus the machined brake track. This rim has a large resemblence to the old Mavic 217s. The seam is welded and machined and weighs in just above 400g
On my XC HT, I've got it laced to a set of the old Hugi Hayes w/ the star ratchet (read louder-than-hell), w/ DB 14/15/14 3x and alloy niples. Very durable and light. Haven't had to true it much at all. It's tensioned a bit on the high side. I also run 2.25 Trailbears for rubber which might account for the need to not true.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
genpowell71 said:
So what? Where does it say in the mountain bike racing bible does itsay you have to use certain wheels for certain uses?
Would you run some Mavic 717 rims for downhill use?

Rhynolites are overkill for XC racing unless you weigh more than 250Lbs...Though if you're light, racing DH on them would be an option :thumb:

When I got back from Iraq, I was 6'3 and 235 lbs (had alot of time to llift weights). So I did get them for the 24hr team I was putting together. I lost about 25lbs in the last months, and I could get other rims. But they work and I like'em. Besides all the people I ride with arent weight weenies

Aug 27, 2004
GravityFreakTJ said:
Would like some hoops built up with Kings but I have the 3 above mentioned wheel sets. Just tryin to pick from them.I know,it's a good problem to have.
YOU!!!
you have tune wheels?? what rims and spokes do you have on them?
if you don't want them then you would consider selling them??

thanks

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
xbluethunderx said:

Actually the spokes on the Shimano 965 are standard j bend spokes. The spoke pattern is the different bit with the j in the side of the rim and nipple at the hub. The 965 is close to 1600 grams for the pair and the Crossmax DISC is heavier. I have the 965 and they have been absolutely bomber for my style of XC riding. Mavic wheels have an excellent reputation too though. And of course you can build your own wheels with selected parts which can be lighter than Boutique wheels. Higi or King hubs with DT revolution spokes and aluminum nipples and American classic 350 gram rims will be very light indeed.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Crossmax wheels are great until you break a spoke, and you will break a spoke eventually. Replacements run about $3 a spoke and take a week or two to order. Also if you don't stop riding immediately after breaking a spoke all the other spokes get overstressed and start snapping. I've gone through this several times as well as other people I ride with. I also have a gunmetal grey Superlight and run Black King hubs with Bontrager Valiant rims, they have been great.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Westy,the spoke breaking deal is what worries me the most.I have ran crossmax's for years and(knock on wood) haven't broken a spoke yet,but I have heard it is quite common.I also have a pair of Rolf Dolomites Disc i could run as well :think:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
GravityFreakTJ said:
Westy,the spoke breaking deal is what worries me the most.I have ran crossmax's for years and(knock on wood) haven't broken a spoke yet,but I have heard it is quite common.I also have a pair of Rolf Dolomites Disc i could run as well :think:

I went about 2 years with no problems, then I bent a spoke when a stick decided it wanted to be mulched by my rear wheel. That spoke eventually broke then I have been chasing broken spokes ever since. If they have been good to you so far I'd just keep running them, I'd just order a complete set of spokes then rebuild the whole wheel as soon as I had a problem.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Westy said:
I went about 2 years with no problems, then I bent a spoke when a stick decided it wanted to be mulched by my rear wheel. That spoke eventually broke then I have been chasing broken spokes ever since. If they have been good to you so far I'd just keep running them, I'd just order a complete set of spokes then rebuild the whole wheel as soon as I had a problem.

Thanks for the advice.Just curious,what does your Superlight weigh?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
GravityFreakTJ said:
Thanks for the advice.Just curious,what does your Superlight weigh?
A hair under 24lbs, running rim brakes, King Hubs, Fox Float Fork. I have found the set up to be very raceable, durable and a great all around bike.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Funny you mentioned rolf dolomite...I have some rolf propels and like them a lot, however I haven't seen anyone else riding rolf in a while. Anyways yeah you really cant go wrong with what you have, if you have been running the crossmax and that is working I'd stick with it.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Mine is built up as follows:
Fork-Reba Team(pop-a-lock and u-turn)
Wheels-Crossmax SL's
Cranks-RaceFace XC
Rear Der-XTR
Cass-XTR
Brakes-XT Disc
Shifters-XT Dual's
Handlebars-Answer Carbon
Stem-Thomson
Post-Thomson
Saddle-WTB (Ti railed)

Have only been on it about a month.BIG change coming off the ss after 2 years.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
GumbaFish said:
Funny you mentioned rolf dolomite...I have some rolf propels and like them a lot, however I haven't seen anyone else riding rolf in a while. Anyways yeah you really cant go wrong with what you have, if you have been running the crossmax and that is working I'd stick with it.
The dolomite's seem to be pretty good wheels.Thet came on a buddy of mines Fuel and he wanted to run his Crossmax's so i bought them for next to nuttin' :thumb: . Always good to have some spare wheels.