Quantcast

Race down Tunnel?

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Ok, I know that's a crazy idea but what are the chances of there ever being an event like that? There are races out there that last that long so why can't we have one out here.

I think the hardest part would be the shuttle and also keeping hikers off the trail during practice. There would have to be at least two days of practice for the people that don't know the trail by heart.

Anyways, just a thought...something that would be alot of fun.

paranoid56

Monkey
May 23, 2004
San Diego, CA
while that does sound like fun. we live in SB, the hiker and horse people would probability **** themselves if we shut down the trail. but, i think with enough talking and city counsel crap it might be able to happen.

as if they got one of the large organizations to help out, i am sure the city would like the money.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Sorry but in this time of challenged trail access I have to say that this is never happening. In fact, because of the constant surveillance of this forum and other forums by mountain biker’s foes in Santa Barbara this discussion, if found, could be damaging to our long-range trail access. Just think what our foes think about the fact that mountain bikers would actually have this discussion today.

Another thing to consider is that the Los Padres National Forest, unlike the BLM and other national forests, actually has a policy in place that prohibits competitive events of any kind starting or finishing in the LP. However a race could traverse the LP is it starts and finishes elsewhere outside the LP.

If you know of an event, it is most likely outlaw, unsanctioned, and very irresponsible. :plthumbsdown: The two events I know of that use the LP on a local basis are the Nine Trails Run and the Pier to Peak half marathon, these happen because they start and finish outside the forest. Pier to Peak starts in SB at Stearns Wharf, goes up Gib and East Camino Cielo (SB County), and finishes on County of SB owned land at the top of La Cumbre Peak.

Nice idea, but not realistic in today’s screwed up tail access days. Good thinking though, I’m always looking for forward thinkers to help at Stump Grinder Productions, want a job? :lighten:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
yeah, I'd go ahead and delete this thread as soon as possible. others are wathcing......

paranoid56

Monkey
May 23, 2004
San Diego, CA
i don't think you need to delete it, as there is nothing really bad here. hes just asking if it were ever to be possible. i am not advocating to just go set up gates and have a race. things like this that happen on gov lands need everything set up just right, though all proper channels.

God i had SB and there damn politics. i have only lived here like 25 years, and it never stops to amaze me.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
i don't think you need to delete it, as there is nothing really bad here. hes just asking if it were ever to be possible. i am not advocating to just go set up gates and have a race. things like this that happen on gov lands need everything set up just right, though all proper channels.

God i had SB and there damn politics. i have only lived here like 25 years, and it never stops to amaze me.
I agree, nothing terrible here, but we're mountain bikers ... and our foes would be shocked. I vote Delete.

SB and any Gov politics suck, that's why I don't promote road events any longer, or do events on public lands either.

Private property baby, that is the way to go! The Stump Grider Dirt Club is set to open on June 1st, 2008, with 2-3 different DH runs (we plan to derdge up an old tow rope from a ski resort bone yard), a Dual Slalom, a MTX or 4x in the near future, countless miles of XC single track (which will be added to all the time), and finally some north shore type features. Open almost every weekend, paid annual members will get clothing, newsletters, $5 daily access on Saturday, free camping Saturday nights, $5 Sunday access, free access on Wednesdays, discounts at shop sponsors, discounts on Stump Grinder events like SYV Classic, the Summer Series at the Ranch, the 24 Hrs. of CR, and the new Shootout at Charlotte's Meadow Weekend (DS & DH)

Oh, no other trail users, just us and a few cows. And I own a skidsteer so the cows are not a big problem any longer. The web site will be up sometime in January.

:lighten: :monkeydance: :clapping: :busted:

m

paranoid56

Monkey
May 23, 2004
San Diego, CA
very nice. that sounds sweet :D too bad i cant afford that kind of land :D I need to move :D

ohh, a tow rope? got pics of that? trying to figure how easy that would be to hold onto :D

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Haha, ya...I wasn't saying to baracade the trail from hikers. If it EVER happened, it would need to be official and the city would have to be in on it...that's another thing I meant to convey.

Ya, I realize that the chances of that happening are pretty much zero. Oh well...

Btw, I'd love a job but you're a ways away from home I LOVE working on cars all day at my current job!!!!