Quantcast

Race Face and a Sunday

rawcan

Chimp
Feb 19, 2007
Hey guys. I bought a set of RF cranks for my IH Sunday and when I fit them it has a sh*t load of extra space to shim out. I have used all of the BB spacers supplied as per instructions but the spindle still sticks out pretty far. Being new cranks they are hard to tighten all the way in but even tightened all the way it still looks close to 8-10mm of extra spindle. Is this an issue with Race Face cranks? Looks like I'm going to have to put on my fabricating hat to make them work. :twitch:

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
My Diabolus cranks are a Biatch to tighten. I put a pipe on the end of my allen wrench to get more leverage. The positive side of this is that mine have never come loose. Thread lock your puller cap too as they tend to fall off, They have reverse thread so be carefull with that.
It sounds like you aren't tightening the cranks all the way. Sundays have a 83mm BB shell so your spindle isn't too long, and you're using all the spacers so that shouldn't be the problem.
If its just the chainline you're unhappy with then shift some of the spacers to the non-drive side. Or maybe you allready have too many spacers on the non-drive side and you need to switch them to the drive side. Meh..its hard to say without seeing it in person.
What ever you do, don't start fabricating. There will be an easier sollution.

Cheers

rawcan

Chimp
Feb 19, 2007
Ya I pulled the bolt off and the spline has a bit more to go but it still looks like it's not going to be enough. I'll put on my gorrilla arms and give it ****.:monkey: Thanks for the suggestions.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Rawcan what BB are you using with the RF Diabolus cranks?

I have a set of RF Diabolus on my personal Sunday using the Diabolus BB and I only need to use the 2 rubber spacers that are provided (one red and one black) on the drive side to get everything lined up perfectly.

ALSO: Rawcan - you are aware that there are 2 different allen nuts to insert wrenches into in the drive side arm: one is merely a cap that is used as a self-extractor for the drive-side crank arm, (as you loosen the inner bolt it backs out against the large end cap and stops) and then there is a smaller nut/bolt on the inside of the end cap that actually engages the crank arm.