Quantcast

Race Face Crank Arm Warranty Issue

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Anyone ever have problems with Race Face during a warranty claim? I had a terrible customer service experience with them, and I'm curious to hear if anyone else has ever had a bad experience with them. :confused:

I sent in a crank arm that had the one of the 4 spider arms of the drive side crank arm bend during normal riding in ‘04, and they agreed to warranty it. I contacted the shop I bought it from, and they suggested I use the online warranty submission area of RF's website, as if I sent it to the shop first and they submitted it for me, it would only delay the process. (I moved recently, and don't live near the shop). Filled out the form, and they gave me a RMA #. I sent it in, and did not hear from them for 1 ½ months. Not a “we received your package” or any kind of confirmation whatsoever. (I shipped it insured / signature, so I know they received it before then). I sent an email to them, looking for a status / tracking number, and they indicated they would look into the status. Two weeks go by, and I have not heard anything. I email back again, and they state it was shipped on 1/30/05, and must have got lost at the border. They said they would ship another and provide a tracking number. After another week goes by, and I don’t have a tracking number, I email back wondering where the tracking number might be. They reply it was sent on 3/24 and they will supply a tracking number shortly. I get a tracking number a week later, as it was not shipped as they stated, but was shipped the following week. It finally comes, but it is a different crank arm then I sent in, (sent a Prodigy DH-received the new model), and they did not return my bash guard and ring. Maybe I should have removed the bash guard and 32t ring before sending it, but I did not.. There is nothing on their website that states they do not return chain rings or bash guards that are sent in during warranty claims, but someone in their tech services area indicated it was my fault for sending them in, and it’s their policy not to return them.

Should I feel like I was shafted in this whole process? Am I wrong for expecting they would return the bash guard and ring I sent in? Granted they are a big company, but shouldn’t they make this order right and send me the same products I sent in? Now because of a warranty claim, I have to pay $30 for a new ring and about the same for a bash guard. This sucks. :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
I had quick turn around and no problems with Race Face when sending in a crank arm. Of course, I removed everything and always do when sending something back for warrenty.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
wow thats not good cause i have tons of rf **** on my bike i just hope they dont do that to me. ill just remember to take shifters brake leavers and grips off when i brake my bars.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Well it does sound like they are jerking you around, but an important lesson to learn here is ONLY SEND BACK WHAT IS GETTING WARRANTEED. If you send back a frame, keep the der hanger and seatpost clamp. If you are sending back a wheel, keep the skewers. If you are sending back a shock, keep all the bushings, your spring, etc.

If you look at it from their point of view, at any given time they probably have hundreds of warranty items being processed. They don't have the time or personnel to keep track of miscellaneous small parts you send them that you aren't being warranteed.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
stinkyboy said:
If you ruined your component, why wouldn't you be SOL?!

Their product failed on me.........I called them up and asked if they would hook me up with a replacement.......No dice on that

If the tires on your car failed on you afetr a short period of time, wouldn't you expect them to replace them, since it was their fault the made a shotty product?

Whatever, I have FSA's now and I am more than happy with them

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
chicodude01 said:
Their product failed on me.........I called them up and asked if they would hook me up with a replacement.......No dice on that
That sux. I was thinking of switching my Hussefelt's for a Diablous set.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
chicodude01 said:

If the tires on your car failed on you afetr a short period of time, wouldn't you expect them to replace them, since it was their fault the made a shotty product?

Whatever, I have FSA's now and I am more than happy with them
Details? What failed and how?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Echo said:
Well it does sound like they are jerking you around, but an important lesson to learn here is ONLY SEND BACK WHAT IS GETTING WARRANTEED. If you send back a frame, keep the der hanger and seatpost clamp. If you are sending back a wheel, keep the skewers. If you are sending back a shock, keep all the bushings, your spring, etc.

If you look at it from their point of view, at any given time they probably have hundreds of warranty items being processed. They don't have the time or personnel to keep track of miscellaneous small parts you send them that you aren't being warranteed.
I agree with the logic, and not sure what I was thinking at the time, but the fact remains that no where on their website or the RMA form that is required for a return, does it mention something like....only send in the part being warrantied as it's our policy to not return extra items. Christ, it's not like they couldn't find another bash guard and ring lying around. Maybe you would have someone telling everyone - Man I screwed up and sent my bash gaurd in with the crank arm for a warranty claim, but they hooked me up and sent it back / or sent me a replacement bash ring with the crank arm.

To me the bottom line was they effed up the whole process, and never once provided much customer service. I probably would not even have received the crank arm, had I not initiated contact. Being a big company does not excuse you from offering a certain level (any) customer service. :nope:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of RaceFace or their overpriced products... So I'll never experience this customer service nightmare you describe. But thanks for the heads up, sometimes these things need to be said :)

J

JRB

Echo said:
For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of RaceFace or their overpriced products... So I'll never experience this customer service nightmare you describe. But thanks for the heads up, sometimes these things need to be said :)
I like my Turbines very well.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I just got back a FSA crank in the mail today. FSA rocks! 10 year warranty on all cranks. They got it back to me within a week because the threads were crap. Good guys, FSA.

The new x-treme V crank has steel threads instead of cut aluminum ones.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I agree that you should only return those items that you are needing warranty or service as Echo pointed out. However, that's a lame excuse about not returning those items to you. Especially if they didn't tell you that. That is a shotty process.

Progressive Suspension makes a point of telling you not to return the spring or collar with the shock if you return it for warranty or service. BUT if you do they don't screw you over. They mark the fact on the RGA form when they receive it so they know the parts are with it.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
loco said:
I like my Turbines very well.
I used to have a pair of Turbines about 7 years ago. Then I realized that Truvativ makes cranks that are as good if not better quality and weight, and cost half as much. Of course RaceFace noticed that too, so they started making their "Prodigy" line, which was inferior in quality but similar in price to Truvativ. Their sponsorships and marketing are second to none, no doubt.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
douglas said:
Hey berkshire_rider, can you make the MMcG Freedom Ride on May 20th @ Case Mountain ??
Not if it's in the morning and requires taking a day off from work. A 1/2 day with a mid-day ride, maybe. Any special reason y'all are riding on a Friday, and not on the weekend? :confused:

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
chicodude01 said:
I hate their CS. I messed up a right side arm and called them up, and they said I was SOL
I own some Race Face Stuff too and this scares me. :eek:

I also own some FSA stuff and EVERYTIME I call them for Service, their customer service is unbelievable!! Friendly, Helpful, and Fast.
One time, when I went to install my ISIS BB, I messed up the threads on the BB Cups, I called them to see if I could buy a new set, Instead they sent me a new set of cups at NO CHARGE!!
Another Time, When a Certain LBS installed my FSA Deep Cup headset without Reaming the Headtube deep enough and Coned the Cups.
I called FSA to Buy a new set, and they sent me a new set at NO CHARGE!!
Now, that's customer service. In these instances, where it was not a product flaw, they could have said "dude, your SOL. Buy another BB or HS, but they didn't. The FR bike I am about to build will have FSA Components instead of Race Face. FSA is highly recommended and I believe FSA is every bit as nice as Race Face.
I appreciate Companies like FSA that Appreciate me! :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
bpatterson6 said:

I also own some FSA stuff and EVERYTIME I call them for Service, their customer service is unbelievable!! Friendly, Helpful, and Fast.
One time, when I went to install my ISIS BB, I messed up the threads on the BB Cups, I called them to see if I could buy a new set, Instead they sent me a new set of cups at NO CHARGE!!
Another Time, When a Certain LBS installed my FSA Deep Cup headset without Reaming the Headtube deep enough and Coned the Cups.
I called FSA to Buy a new set, and they sent me a new set at NO CHARGE!!
Now, that's customer service. In these instances, where it was not a product flaw, they could have said "dude, your SOL. Buy another BB or HS, but they didn't. The FR bike I am about to build will have FSA Components instead of Race Face. FSA is highly recommended and I believe FSA is every bit as nice as Race Face.
I appreciate Companies like FSA that Appreciate me! :thumb:
What's with the random capitalization? :confused:

-S.S.-

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
bpatterson6 said:
Of course, chicodude never answered the question about what happened, so for all we know it was user error. Especially since the first statement said:
chicodude01 said:
I messed up a right side arm

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
berkshire_rider said:
Not if it's in the morning and requires taking a day off from work. A 1/2 day with a mid-day ride, maybe. Any special reason y'all are riding on a Friday, and not on the weekend? :confused:
the ride starts at 10:30a (or was it 11:00a ?)

not sure how it came to be, but it worked out good being I took the day off to get a ride in on my way to cape cod, and jollytime took the day off to drive down from VT to go to his dentist in CT (he has a 9:00a apointment)

I might be riding w/Splat on Sunday (22nd) - depending on how much fun I have Sat. night in cape cod :D

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
riderx said:
Of course, chicodude never answered the question about what happened, so for all we know it was user error. Especially since the first statement said:

Instaled a new set of pedals, threaded them in nice and gently, being careful as to not cross thread them. didn't use a wrench except to make sure it was tight enough. Went riding. Came back, pedal was slightly crooked, I took it out, and the threads came with it. Thought "whoops" Did some research and found out this was a common problem. Call up RF with all the facts, and such. No love from those dudes

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
mtbtom said:
I just read your first post. That's lousy customer service. I can somewhat understand shipping screw ups but did you call them and ask what happened to your bash guard & chainring? The guy I remember talking to over there seemed reasonable.
Yeah, I called, but most of the communication was via email. I understand screw ups and the occasional problem, but it's been my experience most decent companies will make the order right when a mistake was made. :blah:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
berkshire_rider said:
There's a bunch of good riding areas close to 495, that might be more convienent for you, if that's a consideration......Foxboro, Borderland, Wrenthem, Upton, Lake Whitehall, and of course 'Nam. :cool:
Yeah, I was thinking Nam